The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-01-2016, 08:31 PM   #1
rkintn_68

Hood Linement Problems !!!

Can not get my hood lined up everyway I move it is wrong !!!

Passenger side is up high in front and wider gap on fender , crazy ???

Will the billet hinges solve my problem ? Any advice is appreciated...
Attached Images

72 GMC K 1500 SWB W/ 68 CHEVY FR/CLIP -- SOLD

70 CHEVY C/10 LWB x 2 ----- SOLD

67 CHEVY SWB IN PROGRESS " ALMOST HEAVEN "

Build thread :

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...15#post6826315
rkintn_68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 08:50 PM   #2
Grumpy old man

Re: Hood Linement Problems !!!

Billet hinges won't fix anything ,Lots of money for shiny parts . take the after market black hood bumpers on the sides off and realign the hood also adjust the front hood bumpers drivers is low passengers is high .
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 08:53 PM   #3
69chevy lwb

You can loosen the rubber bumper on the side that is high in the front as far as fixing the gap there's a handful of things you can do. If the gap is consistent front to back then loosen the hinges at the hood and push them to the drivers side to pull the hinge to the passenger side. If the gap is wide at the front and narrow at the back but the fender fits the cowl and door nicely then I'd loosen the two core support bolts to the frame and shift the core support to the drivers side to match the gaps side to side. It's unlikely it will ever be perfect but you can get them pretty good. I hope this helps
69chevy lwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:08 PM   #4
Cape Codder

A few things to consider when aligning front sheet metal. First make the fenders fit the doors. Then make the hood fit the cowl and rear of fenders. The bolts holding the hinge to the fender adjust the hight the bolts from the hinge to the hood adjust front to back. You can also move the hood side to side with the hood bolts. The fenders should cross measure from front to opposite rear pretty close the radiator support will move this measurement. Leave the hood latch out till everything fits then install latch and adjust to work nicely.
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:23 PM   #5
hugger6933

When you have a loose to tight gap that is opposite on the other side, the hood may be square but the front may need to slide. This is where Codders reply comes into line. Take an X measurement that means measure from the right front to left rear then from the EXACT SAME POINTS measure the other side. This number should be very close to the same. IF you have a number lets say 42 right to left and 40 is left to right, it means that you need to move the front HALF the distance[ in this fictional case one inch] to the pass side to even out the number. That has to be step one in hood alignment or you will end up with what you have now.

Try that take your tape out to your truck and see what is what I'm betting the X is off by some amount. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 07:13 PM   #6
rkintn_68

[QUOTE=Grumpy old man;7431245]Billet hinges won't fix anything ,Lots of money for shiny parts . take the after market black hood bumpers on the sides off and realign the hood also adjust the front hood bumpers drivers is low passengers is high .[/QU

no hood bumpers on sides ... the fronts are all way down ,not touching hood ...
new after market hood hinges ...

Build thread :

Old 01-02-2016, 07:14 PM   #7
rkintn_68

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69chevy lwb View Post
You can loosen the rubber bumper on the side that is high in the front as far as fixing the gap there's a handful of things you can do. If the gap is consistent front to back then loosen the hinges at the hood and push them to the drivers side to pull the hinge to the passenger side. If the gap is wide at the front and narrow at the back but the fender fits the cowl and door nicely then I'd loosen the two core support bolts to the frame and shift the core support to the drivers side to match the gaps side to side. It's unlikely it will ever be perfect but you can get them pretty good. I hope this helps
thanks, I will try it ...

Build thread :

Old 01-02-2016, 07:16 PM   #8
rkintn_68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Codder View Post
A few things to consider when aligning front sheet metal. First make the fenders fit the doors. Then make the hood fit the cowl and rear of fenders. The bolts holding the hinge to the fender adjust the hight the bolts from the hinge to the hood adjust front to back. You can also move the hood side to side with the hood bolts. The fenders should cross measure from front to opposite rear pretty close the radiator support will move this measurement. Leave the hood latch out till everything fits then install latch and adjust to work nicely.
I agree , fenders and doors look ok .. just can not get hood right ...

Build thread :

Old 01-02-2016, 07:18 PM   #9
rkintn_68

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
When you have a loose to tight gap that is opposite on the other side, the hood may be square but the front may need to slide. This is where Codders reply comes into line. Take an X measurement that means measure from the right front to left rear then from the EXACT SAME POINTS measure the other side. This number should be very close to the same. IF you have a number lets say 42 right to left and 40 is left to right, it means that you need to move the front HALF the distance[ in this fictional case one inch] to the pass side to even out the number. That has to be step one in hood alignment or you will end up with what you have now.

Try that take your tape out to your truck and see what is what I'm betting the X is off by some amount. Jim
thanks Hugger , its not perfect square but its within s 1/4 inch ... is that enough to mess it up ?

Build thread :

Old 01-02-2016, 07:43 PM   #10
Cape Codder

Looking at the pics again I would try adjusting the drivers side hood bumper on the support up so the hood contacts it. If you can lower the latch a little it will rock the passenger side down like a see saw. 1/4 out of square is not a lot it would require an 1/8" to make it square. Is the gap to the cowl vent even across the back of the hood?
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:52 PM   #11
hugger6933

You really NEED the hood bumpers in there they aren't just for show. If something was born from the General with it is pretty much needed. Just think a hood bumper may not cost them but a dime a pair but over 100,000 units well see the point. The front being off 1/4 is not much unless the 1/8 inch gap is off enough to bother.
The front may need to slide an 1/8th and the hood may need to twist another 1/4 or so and those put together add up kinda like all the hood bumpers would effect their bottom line. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:51 PM   #12
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

It's a job getting the panels on these rigs to line up. They weren't lined up worth a crud from the factory. So you just have to keep "finessing" them into place.

Good luck.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote