The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-03-2016, 03:25 PM   #1
Morse

Sold my Cuda to build my grandfathers 69 C10.. Advice appreciated.

Hello to all here. I've been searching parts so much, my wife thinks I'm a computer addict. As the title states, I just sold my 1970 Cuda yesterday to build my grandfathers 1969 C10. I want to go at this kind of quick, or my wife will spend the cash elsewhere.. haha
I want this truck to drive anywhere, anytime. Whether driving to the grocery, or to the drag strip I want it to be up to the task with the AC on. In the past, I had 9 second, 10 second, and several 11 second and slower quarter mile diesel trucks. My income cut way back, and the kids always being my priority removed me from diesel racing.
This truck is currently a 2wd long bed. No offense to anyone, but it's just my least favorite configuration. I've always enjoyed driving and racing 4wds, but adding an axle, transfer case, etc doesn't sound overly great to me. I also want the best ride possible. So, I'm leaning towards making the truck a shortbed. I've already contacted Bivens Race Cars in Owensboro, KY about installing a front suspension system, building a rear suspension system, and adding some sort of rollbar/cage for safety. They do excellent work. Bivens actually built a rolling tube chassis for a 69 Camaro duramax project for me several years ago. For the engine, I have my choice of a naturally aspirated LS7 or an aluminum L33 5.3 turbo motor. I want it to be dependable, and 10's would be fine for a runaround vehicle. The 5.3 would be easy to get there on a mild setup, the LS7 would be harder pressed to get the job done.

Now for the questions/opinions/advice...

Who's front suspension kit would be the most friendly on the street, and handle well? I want a lower stance (low, not dragging), power steering, and disc brakes included in the kit.

Where would the best place be to buy a vintage air system? My budget is decent for this project, but I know it will go quickly. I'm a shopper for the best deal possible.

I've been a diesel guy for years, but am amazed at the power per dollar people are seeing out of the LS motors. I have to try it. Naturally aspirated LS7 vs turbo 5.3. Brian Tooley Racing is taking care of the engine choice, I just have to let him know which direction. He wants to go with the 5.3 turbo motor. For a run around pleasure vehicle, what would you choose? I failed to mention, I have a choice to run a 6 speed manual behind the LS7.

All advice/opinions are appreciated.

Last edited by Liz; 01-03-2016 at 11:00 PM. Reason: edited by staff
Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:59 PM   #2
hugger6933

Re: Sold my Cuda to build my grandfathers 69 C10.. Advice appreciated.

Welcome to the site. Go to SOKY to get your parts they are really pretty good guys and are in Bowling Green. They have about normal pricing on a bed "kit" for around $2000 you can get a short bed in the box. Insane hotrods are in eastern part of TN so they might be an option for you as well. He is a good guy to deal with as well and builds these trucks so he knows what is up.
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:10 PM   #3
flashed

I second Southern Kentucky Classic's for parts but as mentioned Dewayne at Nsane Hotrods is also a Vintage Air dealer ,my truck is at his shop now .You should check out some pics on Nsane's web site and see some of his work. Im sure Dewayne also carries all the sheetmetal parts too.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:07 PM   #4
Nsanehotrodz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
Welcome to the site. Go to SOKY to get your parts they are really pretty good guys and are in Bowling Green. They have about normal pricing on a bed "kit" for around $2000 you can get a short bed in the box. Insane hotrods are in eastern part of TN so they might be an option for you as well. He is a good guy to deal with as well and builds these trucks so he knows what is up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
I second Southern Kentucky Classic's for parts but as mentioned Dewayne at Nsane Hotrods is also a Vintage Air dealer ,my truck is at his shop now .You should check out some pics on Nsane's web site and see some of his work. Im sure Dewayne also carries all the sheetmetal parts too.
Thanks guys, we keep a full line of sheet metal for 1941-16 Chevy/GMC trucks in stock. We offer the most complete bed kits on the market with 10% off for all board members! Give us a call when you are ready and I will go over the best options for your build. Project planning is a very important part of every build.
Tennessee's #1 HotRod Shop!
Nsanehotrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:11 PM   #5
Morse

Thank you everyone. Ill make that call tomorrow.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:58 PM   #6
Morse

Nsanehotrodz, I tried calling and left a message.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:12 PM   #7
BCOWANWHEELS

FIRST thing I,d is hunt me up a 71-72 complete fron cross member all the way out to the brakes and same with rear axle. I reciently discovered parts for the drum brakes are getting real hard to come by so update. then you can go as low as you like in ride height
I BELIEVE IN JOHN 3:16
BCOWANWHEELS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:31 PM   #8
69chevy lwb

Buy the ride tech setup with coil overs they make great products I have their air setup and I love it but I'm guessing you're not looking to do airsuspension. You can pickup a crate motor for far less than someone can build you one. I'd recommend the lsx 376 b15 then you can have reliable boost and have a motor capable of over 1000 horse.
69chevy lwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:39 PM   #9
slowcpe

Sounds like a cool build. I know Derek and he does some real nice work. In fact my truck will be at his shop at some point to get a few things done to the chassis that I don't feel comfortable doing myself.

I went with the Porterbuilt Level 1 front end for my truck (building a '67 with similar goals). Either them or NoLimit are the two big guys when it comes to modern geometry in these trucks.
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 12:56 PM   #10
BCOWANWHEELS

the more GM originalparts you use the more the value of the truck and the cost is tremendously cheaper. jmo
bob
I BELIEVE IN JOHN 3:16
BCOWANWHEELS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:12 PM   #11
Morse

The choices are confusing me.. Lowered 2wd shortbed would by far be the easiest, but I'm having thoughts of 4wd for a sleeper effect... I believe a lowered AWD would fit my preferences about perfect. The chassis shop is waiting on me to make up my mind. Ive searched and seen others use a trailblazer ss chassis. If i could buy a donor vehicle, that could be my best case scenerio. I've located a 1970 complete 4wd chassis with disc brakes. I've also found a pair of dana 60's, and other odds and ends... Choices....
Old 01-08-2016, 12:33 AM   #12
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Well personally, Id just like to see the Cuda you got rid of =)
Old 01-08-2016, 12:35 AM   #13
TexasLS1

This looks like another cool build in the works. I have a friend that put a GMC Cyclone AWD driveline under an 80's vette, along with some serious motor work. I hate to think of that rare truck getting stripped apart, but the finished Vette is freaking fast. Pretty cool to see it launch off the line. I'm stepping in to see the progress.
TexasLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:59 AM   #14
Morse

Been a while.. I ended up speaking to Brian Tooley at BTR more in depth. We're having an aluminum block 5.3 taken to his shop today as the heart of the truck. It's getting prepped for a turbo/turbos.. I told him I want a nice, powerful street combination that's reliable enough to be a daily ride if I wanted it to be. At the beginning of April, the truck is going to Bivens Race Cars in Owensboro, KY. I'm still on the fence as far as the chassis though. I've spoken to one vendor about a complete chassis, or just purchasing the front ifs kit and have Bivens do the rest. Bivens has also offered to build a complete tube chassis, but I haven't received a price yet.

Last edited by Morse; 01-24-2016 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:07 AM   #15
69chevy lwb

Just do the ride tech setup it's a proven setup if you really want to go nuts throw in a porterbuilt frame stiffiner to compliment it. The best part about the ride tech stuff is it all comes powder coated and isn't plagued with thier logo all over like most manufactures. If you are unsure give them a call I'm sure they will be happy to point you in the right direction.
69chevy lwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 10:21 AM   #16
RodnRudy

Take a look at the Roadster Shop chassis. They build a killer C10 chassis complete or you can buy the front or rear end bolt in kits also.
Sounds like a fun project, have fun!
RodnRudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 12:46 PM   #17
F.A.A.benny

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Well personally, Id just like to see the Cuda you got rid of =)
I second that.
F.A.A.benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:22 PM   #18
Morse

Here it is.. Not my favorite color, but I bought it the original green... My grandfathers trucks' original color happens to be about the same green.
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2016, 06:24 PM   #19
Morse

Another...
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2016, 06:25 PM   #20
Morse

It wasn't perfect by any means..