The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2016, 01:28 AM   #1
chincha805

ready to bag my 49 S10

i am ready to bag my 49 s10.
who has the best deal on complete system and 4 link,

i want to go low as i can go.
chincha805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 01:58 AM   #2
joedoh

Re: ready to bag my 49 S10

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
is your frame even with the bottom of the running boards or higher? what size wheels? lay out or just lower?

you only answered one question!

need to know how your body is installed, if the bottom of the frame is even with the bottom of the rockers? or is the bottom tucked up higher than the rockers? This is important, if it is tucked up you will need a simpler system than if it is even, because laying frame on an s10 can take a bit of work.

it also depends on what size wheels and tires you have.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:41 AM   #3
chincha805

20" front 18" rear
running boards are even with the bottom of the frame
Old 01-04-2016, 01:31 PM   #4
joedoh

if you want a complete bolt on rear kit, ART (air ride technologies) makes a bolt on air bar that rides amazing but it may not go as low as you need without some extra work. KP makes a bolt on 4 link that requires you to make your own bag mounts. you'll need a large step notch to lay out the rear on 20" wheels (I am assuming you transposed and meant 18" front and 20" rear)

for the front it depends on tire size, still. for larger diameter 18" tires you will likely need drop spindles and notches for tie rods. the lower control arms will need "dehumped", by removing the bumps that normally hit the frame, to lay out on a larger wheel, or you can buy some tubular upper and lower control arms. I like ART control arms for this too, other companies make them but the wait is horrendous, ART is usually in stock and work great. you will need upper and lower cups for the stock arms or an upper cup if using tubular arms. Notching the frame for the tie rods needs some pipe or there are companies that make "notchless tie rods", which are just bent tie rod tubes and I dont like because they require removal of the tie rod joint to adjust alignment.

the bad thing about laying frame on an s10 with big wheels is the front suspension splays out at full droop, by creating additional toe out based on the arm geometry. This isnt really a problem unless you like driving a 1/4" off the ground. Like I said, just more work.

This is also why I like body mount kits that tuck the frame up inside the running boards, you can lay out with 2-3" less drop, making the bolt on ART airbar work with even a really small notch and keeping the front suspension from getting to the point of dramatic toe change. My 47 had running board mounts strong enough to hold the truck up on a floor lift, so bagging it wouldnt be a problem, and I would use suspension bump stops to limit drop to JUST above the ground anyway.

I havent even touched on air management. realistically you should budget about 2500-3000 for a completely new (and budget) suspension and air management system you will install yourself, more if you choose the bolt on route, even more still if you have someone else do it.

if you want more information, check out a site like s10forum.com and spend some time in the "baggin it" and "members projects" forums. They get a lot of questions like "what is the best setup" so searching first will save you a lot of "do a search!" replies.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:33 PM   #5
HUSSEY

Any experience with Thorbros, they have some nice looking products and well priced air management sytems, but I've heard they can be slow, as was eluded to above. I've tried calling a couple times, all I got was a phone that never stopped ringing and never went to voice mail.

Welder Series has some universal stuff that's priced well. They are in Canada and the current exchange rate give us US buyers an advantage.

http://www.welderseries.com
Old 01-04-2016, 10:32 PM   #6
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUSSEY View Post
Any experience with Thorbros, they have some nice looking products and well priced air management sytems, but I've heard they can be slow, as was eluded to above. I've tried calling a couple times, all I got was a phone that never stopped ringing and never went to voice mail.

Welder Series has some universal stuff that's priced well. They are in Canada and the current exchange rate give us US buyers an advantage.

http://www.welderseries.com

I have ordered a lot of stuff from thor bros in the past, back when it was thorbecke fabrication and they were friend of the minitrucker. hasnt been that way in 10 years, I hear the wait on a 4 link is 4-6 months and control arms over a year. good they have business I guess.

I havent used the welder series stuff, looks sturdy.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:11 AM   #7
Layedoutsonoma91

I used a low rider depot 6 link kit. Came with everything from notch to bags and shocks. Wasn't too pricey, but didn't have to wait at all. I used thorbros in the past for link kits but like the previous poster said, they are getting slow..
check out my build thread in my signature. It should be pretty helpful for you. My running boards are level with my frame as well. My tires are 26 inches tall, so that's about the same as a 20. With 18's up front it will save you a lot of trouble with tie rods and control arms.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=531261&page=3
1949 3100 s10 swap 5.3.
Instagram -@thejcates
Layedoutsonoma91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 12:10 PM   #8
chincha805

I am almost thinking to look for a S10 truck already bagged with the works all done. i have seen a couple for on craiglist for 2-3 grand with smog issues, bad motors or trannys and just take off the body shorten the frame , because most of them are extra cabs, don't see very many long beds bagged. who knows i might find one for a reasonable price, but workmanship would be the main factor. i think i might just put drop spindles and springs in front and drop leafs and blocks in back and call it good for a few hundred.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:15 PM   #9
Layedoutsonoma91

I would be a little leary of buying a bagged truck, more times then not, they arent done right. I would rather do it myself to know its good.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=531261&page=3
1949 3100 s10 swap 5.3.
Instagram -@thejcates
Layedoutsonoma91 is offline   Reply With Quote