The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-05-2016, 09:32 AM   #1
Grumpy old man

The word is out !

Well... it looks like the word is out on these trucks ! Short bed No driveline builder grade trucks I was finding 2-3 years ago for $500.00 are no longer to be found in my usual haunts and the ones that are being listed for $2-3,000.00 are being snatched up quick by the local rebuilder/flippers .
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:06 AM   #2
dubds10
Stalker Nate

Re: The word is out !

I'm still finding some in the $1000 range, drivers still in the $3g range but the guys with money & flippers have pushed the prices higher by jumping on the band wagom. Sucks for the average Joe but we just have to look harder now & get there first.

Instagram - TheDonutDiner
FaceBook - @UscreamIscream
dubds10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:33 AM   #3
NoNeck

I'm afraid you are right, Grumpy.

My son Chad (CC69Rat) and I restored quite a few cars over the years. Looking back, we did it more to be working together on our projects than to make a buck.

In the mid '80's we bought a running, driving '69 Chevelle SS-396 for $800. Soon after, we bought another dependable driver-quality '69 Chevelle SS-396 for $500. Later on, Chad bought a '69 Camaro with factory air from the newspaper classifieds. The Camaro had been driven from California to Tennessee by a college student. Chad paid $2800 for the car and we drove it home, knowing it had a blown head gasket. Later we installed a GM crate 350 and painted it Hugger Orange. He still had less than $7500 in it at this point.

Around 2000, investors began noticing the nostalgic value in these old cars and prices started rising. Restoration parts and NOS stuff started to skyrocket.

Fast forward to today... our trucks were seen all those years as utility trucks that were used and abused (for the most part) by people that purchased a truck for that purpose. I remember my father in law bought a brand new truck one morning and had it down in the corn field feeding the cows out of the back. The briars on the old dirt road had scratched down both sides of the truck. He broke the side mirror and dented the bottom of the door as well. But, he didn't care... after all, it's just a truck.

These trucks have gone the way of the Camaros, Cudas, Road Runners, Mustangs and Corvettes of that time period. Supply and demand I guess. But you are right. At one time we could tell you where a dozen or so decent C10s were located. Now they are gone. Either to that big Soup Can in the grocery store, the heated garage or being flipped again and again.

Then there are guys like us that just love the trucks because of how simple they are and how easy they are to work on.

POP

If it costs you a dollar to make a friend, KEEP THE DOLLAR.
If it costs you a friend to make a dollar, KEEP THE FRIEND.
NoNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:09 AM   #4
30 a truck

When I was in high school (real late 70's) 67-8-9 good driving Camaro's were $900 - $1100 all day long. If only I had money back then!
30 a truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:54 AM   #5
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Double edged sword. Would you rather they stay cheap (because there's no interest) and slowly disappear like Mustang II's and Monzas, or remain popular, which means prices will always $ because supply will always go down as trucks are parted, wrecked, hoarded, etc.

Part of the issue is that these trucks were so cheap 10-15 years ago, and their popularity started to increase, that people were literally buying hoards of them and parting them out. There's a few guys on here that have literally parted hundreds, maybe thousands of trucks. Some of which were in better shape than what's left over now that people are trying to sell. So if you parted a crap ton of these trucks years ago... you created part of the problem. Less trucks = less supply.

My dad is responsible for parting/crushing at least 50+ 67-69 Pontiac Firebirds. While at the time, most of them were considered rusty garbage, because the supply is so low now, and prices are so high, that most of the cars he had would be restoration candidates today.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 12:05 PM   #6
XwalkerX

it seems like once a week there is a thread b!tching about truck/parts prices...
XwalkerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 12:17 PM   #7
zeldman

It pains me to think how many 67 to 72 chevelles we destroyed on the dirt tracks back in the day. And we picked most of them up for less than $250.
2013 Subaru Outback
1970 C-10 2WD, SWB stepside, 292, TH350, PS, more rust than anything. God is my pilot.
zeldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 01:02 PM   #8
tommys72

Part of the issue is that these trucks were so cheap 10-15 years ago, and their popularity started to increase, that people were literally buying hoards of them and parting them out. There's a few guys on here that have literally parted hundreds, maybe thousands of trucks. Some of which were in better shape than what's left over now that people are trying to sell. So if you parted a crap ton of these trucks years ago... you created part of the problem. Less trucks = less supply.

I agree, we'll said Jesse

tommys72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 01:24 PM   #9
michael bustamante

you know what i hate to see is a beautiful classic car get totaled out in the movies. like the chevelle ss that tom cruise destroys in the movie he did a couple years ago. Or all those beautiful muscle cars in the original gon e in 60 seconds movie.
even all the general lees!!
Old 01-05-2016, 01:40 PM   #10
flashed

I know where a lot of these old trucks are ,people just wont turn loose of them, they are going to fix them someday .Some I have been watching for 20 years just rotting into the ground.

Many years a go I bought all the wrecked 77-81 Trans Am's that I came across cheap and parted them out before they were crushed .The way I look at it was I was at least saving as many good parts as possible to use on cars as needed instead of everything getting crushed .Now you dont see many of those T/A's either .

I would much rather see trucks parted for us to have good parts as to have the complete truck scraped like they did with cash for clunkers .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 01:56 PM   #11
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by XwalkerX View Post
it seems like once a week there is a thread b!tching about truck/parts prices...
More like once a day

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 02:00 PM   #12
XwalkerX

LOL

im just squeamish about the cost I would incur to boost the LS in my truck even though I really want more POWAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRR
XwalkerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 02:25 PM   #13
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
Many years a go I bought all the wrecked 77-81 Trans Am's that I came across cheap and parted them out before they were crushed .The way I look at it was I was at least saving as many good parts as possible to use on cars as needed instead of everything getting crushed .Now you dont see many of those T/A's either .
No kidding! Seeing any 1970-81 firebird is a rare occurrence... even the 70-81 Camaros are in pretty short supply. I hardly ever see them at "big" shows either. Might be a handful at a big show like Charlotte. Shame because they're all cool looking cars, even the enduro bumpered ones. I'm a big fan of the early 2nd gen birds, but can't recall the last time I've seen one just "running around." There's a couple nice first gen birds I see every once in a while, and a couple "burt renolds" T/A's, but no early/mid 2nd gens in my area.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 01-05-2016 at 02:30 PM.
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 02:26 PM   #14
midniteblues

alot of those movie cars were junky stunt doubles...but not all

flashed we did the same as you with second gen camaros in the early 90's
lucky for us a serious collector bought 90% of it at a decent price...for back then and a local yard got the left over bodys.

I feel for you guys in the south you'all should be glad your not up here and paying for rust or shipping.

even our local pick n pull havent had any 67-72 in months...pretty sure do to scrap prices and supply.
most people by now know they can get more parting than scrapping if they can wait.

scrap prices,tv,internet and rust all play the game in prices.

like grump has been sayin buy them if ya can that goes for dang near any classic.
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 02:38 PM   #15
cleszkie

Out here in Southern California, I have definitely noticed the decline of 67-72 trucks in the junk yards. 10 years ago I could go to any yard and there was always a few complete trucks around. Now, I'm lucky to find one well picked over carcass. Its not that these trucks aren't around, I see a ton of them still on the road and in yards. Its just that people aren't selling them for scrap anymore to the wrecking yards, but rather trying to get more money out of them by selling on craigslist.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 05:05 PM   #16
Mapearso

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleszkie View Post
Out here in Southern California, I have definitely noticed the decline of 67-72 trucks in the junk yards. 10 years ago I could go to any yard and there was always a few complete trucks around. Now, I'm lucky to find one well picked over carcass. Its not that these trucks aren't around, I see a ton of them still on the road and in yards. Its just that people aren't selling them for scrap anymore to the wrecking yards, but rather trying to get more money out of them by selling on craigslist.
^^^^^^^

What he said
Mapearso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 05:48 PM   #17
kilrcady

was trying to tell you guys.Anything rust free out northeast is out the ball park
kilrcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 05:56 PM   #18

There has been a precipitous drop in the amount of parts one sees at swap meets over the course of the past 20 years, also. These trucks are "easy" to take apart, so you'd find just about everything and for not much $$, either. Not so much anymore. If you do find a nice piece, many, despite its condition, will ask 75% of new cost. I just put a Sierra Grande glovebox door on the parts board for $65 that has been hanging in my barn for 20 years that I know I paid no more than $5 for. It was gone in less than day and I really felt a little guilty about my asking price. If you look hard enough...and the fun is in the hunt......you can find trucks reasonably priced. Many times you are able to find nice "projects" for waaay under what guys have in them as many start their projects w/zeal and vigor and when they find out how much it costs and the time investment to redo an old truck properly (and Mama's *****in' at them because she wants some new furniture) they decide to bail out and cut their losses. Patience, my friends, patience...and cash!!!
73737373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:06 PM   #19
dubds10
Stalker Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
No kidding! Seeing any 1970-81 firebird is a rare occurrence... even the 70-81 Camaros are in pretty short supply. I hardly ever see them at "big" shows either. Might be a handful at a big show like Charlotte. Shame because they're all cool looking cars, even the enduro bumpered ones. I'm a big fan of the early 2nd gen birds, but can't recall the last time I've seen one just "running around." There's a couple nice first gen birds I see every once in a while, and a couple "burt renolds" T/A's, but no early/mid 2nd gens in my area.
There's still a lot of '76-81 Camaros / Firebirds up my way and fairly cheap since nobody wants them lol You can get good daily drivers $4000+ here usually, anything above $10g better by great condition all all original or modified. Here's a nice one $20g CAD or roughly $14g USD ouch lol The 2nd gen '70-73 though are harder to come by and priced more of course.

http://nanaimo.craigslist.ca/cto/5363170243.html

Instagram - TheDonutDiner
FaceBook - @UscreamIscream
dubds10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:26 PM   #20
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Sometime up until the early 90s, I saw one of these trucks on every block. Other than what's in my garage, I now see one every 1-2 weeks.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:57 PM   #21
kilrcady

I seen one every 1-2 months
Just picked up a 71 old restoration but the rust is back.Great driveline,tires and suspension.paid 6900.interior is nice also
kilrcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 07:00 PM   #22
toolboxchev

Despite a select few who are picked off at a high price, I highly doubt that this so called trend will continue.

There is simply too much rust on the majority of them like mine in these parts. If indeed rust free I am sure you could fetch a little higher price, yet some are being sold to P.T. Barnum fans.

90 percent of the traffic here is to induce sales, by those whom are mechanics, bodyshop guys, and the like.

Some of us are here simply because we are Bluebloods, the working backbone of America. That is what these trucks are, The modern workhorse, the 67-72 and era before and after is the epitome of work, what it means and what True Value is.

I know guys who swear by the first, second, third gen Dodges. Yet their box frame is still antiquated by ever so sloppy steering it gives them.

There is more than 10 of these things in a one mile radius of my house. Funny how I noticed 5 more since I last posted. By the way I am changing my location. Fiends I tell you, fiends.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 07:13 PM   #23
Coley

Well...whatever you do, don't sweat what anyone is asking for either their parts or their trucks...they can ask whatever they want.
Pay attention to where and what ACTUALLY sells...that's the barometer and the reality, the asking price is the dream and the optimistic chit chat gossip stuff.
Personally, I don't see anything out of line at the moment in the true sales end....although the dream sellers are out in full force.
Ebay is a great example wherein a lot of high priced trucks have....5000 views and 1 bid...lol. Then you see the 'real market' where more reasonably priced trucks have a dozen bids...that is the reality...stick with that.
The fantastic news is that...there were so many of these trucks made, there is always a new deal coming up every week, of every year...just be patient and move when the opportunity comes.
All Good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 07:21 PM   #24
68panelman

Around here, the word got out about 15 yrs ago. Haven't even seen one in a junk yard for more than 10 yrs. Use to drive em home for $250-$500. Now they try to sell garbage for $5000-$9000. These stupid TV shows are the main problem I say.
68panelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:13 PM   #25
leftybass209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
Well...whatever you do, don't sweat what anyone is asking for either their parts or their trucks...they can ask whatever they want.
Pay attention to where and what ACTUALLY sells...
Coley
Yep! I'm in the market and have looked at several lately. I don't insult people, whine, or complain if the asking price is high. I'll haggle if it's within reason, but I won't insult someone with a low ball offer regardless if they're asking way more than I feel it's really worth.

One in particular I went to look at needed major body work that was expertly hidden in photos, and passed of as minor dents and dings. Things were also held together with strings and zip ties. They were asking $2500 and said price was negotiable, but I wouldn't have paid over $750, so I just politely passed. They reminded me it was a "steal" at $2500. I've since watched the price on the truck drop 3 or 4 times, now sitting at $1800.

Asking and selling price aren't the same thing, but yeah, prices on these trucks have been steadily climbing and I'm happy about that. Most of the extra price gets tacked on here in California because they don't need smog.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote