The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-07-2016, 01:05 AM   #1
68c10owner

Looking for a shop in Sacramento, CA-Smog Related

Not sure if this belongs here or in the drivetrain section so mods feel free to move it.

Im looking for a shop that has experience doing smog repairs on these older trucks. My 85 GMC has a CEL and the last time I checked the code was code 54. I dont have any smog experience and Ive looked it up online and such but I dont have the patience to actually track down the issue and repair it. This truck has fought me since day one and I the more I try to fix it the shorter my patience gets. So Im looking for a shop that can handle the job. Most places around here only work on newer stuff and I need a old school shop that knows how to work on these things.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:15 PM   #2
storm9c1
*** That's interesting ***

Re: Looking for a shop in Sacramento, CA-Smog Related

No advice on a repair shop. Sorry.

But if you are willing (patience aside), maybe we can help you? I've seen code 54 happen when the truck stalls on its own. But it may not have anything to do with the stalling (I'll explain later).

Does it ever stall?
Do you have good oil pressure when it is running?

The reason I ask these questions is if something stalls the truck (like an ignition problem, fuel problem, etc), the oil pressure switch will open when the oil pressure drops out, shutting off power to the fuel pump. If the key is on when this happens, it will sometimes set code 54 because power is suddenly removed from the fuel pump circuit. But the cause is usually something unrelated to that code.
2011 Chevy Caprice PPV 9C3 6.0L
1995 Chevy Caprice 9C1
1994 Chevy Caprice 9C1 #3
1995 Chevy Caprice Wagon #2
1995 Chevy Impala SS
Mopar by night...
1969 Dodge Charger
1972 Chrysler Newport 2dr Hardtop (27K miles)

Plus others...
storm9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 04:21 PM   #3
68c10owner

Oil psi gauge doesn't work. It's got a electronic qjet so it has a mechanical fuel pump. Truck runs strong, does not flood over or run super rich. Just can't get rid of the light. Been messing with it since September. I've had enough. It's someone else's turn who knows this smog crap because I dont. It's either someone else fixes it or I get rid of the truck.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:20 PM   #4
storm9c1
*** That's interesting ***

I didn't think code 54 was used on carb'ed engines... Hmmm. Need to refresh my memory.

OK, on pre-86, it means mixture control solenoid or circuit. Remember something new everyday.
"The mixture control solenoid voltage is high at the ECM because of a shorted M/C solenoid circuit and/or faulty ECM."

I'll let someone else chime in since I either know carbs or fuel injection but know very little about these electronic carbs. I kinda ignore the fact that they ever existed. In fact, I ignore the fact that the 80s ever existed.

Have you done any testing on that circuit? Looking for a bad solenoid (shorted, open, etc)? Unplug it and apply power directly to it -- does it click?

Lacking that ability, yeah, you might need a mechanic who knows those electronic carbs. Good luck. Hopefully someone else will reply.
2011 Chevy Caprice PPV 9C3 6.0L
1995 Chevy Caprice 9C1
1994 Chevy Caprice 9C1 #3
1995 Chevy Caprice Wagon #2
1995 Chevy Impala SS
Mopar by night...
1969 Dodge Charger
1972 Chrysler Newport 2dr Hardtop (27K miles)

Plus others...

Last edited by storm9c1; 01-07-2016 at 05:35 PM.
storm9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 05:24 PM   #5
68c10owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm9c1 View Post
I didn't think code 54 was used on carb'ed engines... Hmmm. Need to refresh my memory.

OK, on pre-86, it means mixture control solenoid or circuit. Remember something new everyday.
Correct, mixture control solenoid. I have the flow charts to diagnosis it as well but like I said. My patients have run thin. I've never had to mess with anything smog related in my 27yrs of wrenching and I'm just lost. I know my limitations. It's someone else's turn
Old 01-08-2016, 12:24 AM   #6
Nitis

pm sent
Nitis is offline   Reply With Quote