The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-23-2016, 01:07 PM   #1
greengrenade

Bagged 60-66 help

Hey fellas, my buddy has a 65 swb that were gonna start work on next week. Hes keeping the stock 6 and 3 speed for now but has an lq9 and t56 goin in eventually. Were bagging the truck on 20" steelies and ill be doing all the fab work. Plans are step notch in rear, tri 4 link, bag on bar in rear. Front were doing 2.5 drop spindles, cupping the lower control arms and sectioning the stock crossmember 2". From what ive heard this should get us pretty much laying the bumpers on the ground. Couple quick questions as im not too familiar with these year trucks, i have a 59 apache myself. After i section the stock front crossmember i should slide it forward 1" from its original location correct ? Also does anyone have any pics of what they did with the steering after they sectioned the crossmemeber. Thanks for any help guys. Heres a pic of the truck as it sits now
Attached Images

greengrenade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 02:28 PM   #2
The Rocknrod

Re: Bagged 60-66 help

This thread has a guy who sectioned the from cross member. Moving it forward too much? See post #22:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=464574
Here is a page: http://www.captkaoscustoms.com/chopcross.html
I found this looking at the FAQ page: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=543729
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 03:39 PM   #3
greengrenade

I didnt see any pics of a finished raised stock steering setup. I came across the link for the no limit rack, which looks like a good option. Does anyone know if it comes with the p/s pump and all ? Also how does sectioning the crossmember effect the mounting of the rack on that kit or if i need to notch for tie rods?
Old 01-23-2016, 07:24 PM   #4
rickoner

While my truck isn't done, you can check out my build thread to see pics of what i did. I sectioned the crossmember 2" and moved it forward 1". I also did the same with the steering box and linkage.
rickoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 07:35 PM   #5
greengrenade

I checked out your build man. Good looking work brother. The more i have talked with my buddy i think hes opting to go power rack and pinion. If anyone has experience running the rack on a sectioned crossmember feel free to chime in.