The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-23-2016, 07:13 PM   #1
loujizzel

Help me! Please

Ok so i just bought a 73 c10 short bed for a good price, but now im seeing why... i will try to explain the issue. Ok when i turn the lights on one headlight lights up, then when i hit the high beams the light that was on turns off and the oppisite light comes on it high beam mode... so i go and buy 2 brand new headlights, install them and the same exact situation happens that i mentioned earlier.... what gives
loujizzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 07:49 PM   #2
PAWS 72

Re: Help me! Please

Check the grounds on each side. Or check the switch.
PAWS 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 08:06 PM   #3
77 Big 10

Check switch
Old 01-23-2016, 08:11 PM   #4
loujizzel

No the headlights are brand new... this guy that had the truck looks like he was more concerned about having the loudest sound system on the planet lol. Im 47 not to concerned with that..but after looking at the wiring its pretty bad, he has wires all ove thr place... im tempted to buy a 21 circut ez wire kit and start from scratch... but i just want the lights to work...
Old 01-23-2016, 08:13 PM   #5
loujizzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAWS 72 View Post
Check the grounds on each side. Or check the switch.
I would check the grounds if i knew where they where.... i know where the switch is. Its a PITA to get to.... is they a place that sells this switch im desperate.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:20 PM   #6
loujizzel

First thanks for the reply... can you tell me where the dimmer switch is located in the c10. Been reading it could be the dimmer or relay but i will replace all of it ASAP just need assistance locating it
Old 01-23-2016, 08:44 PM   #7
rwhit57

I can't remember does that have a foot operated dimmer switch or in the turn signal?
Old 01-23-2016, 08:46 PM   #8
loujizzel

I am on my way to auto zone to pick up a dimmer switch and headlight switch its in stock... might as well i want to know what is good on my truck and the best way to do that is to replace all the wear item

THANKS FELLAS
Old 01-24-2016, 02:12 AM   #9
midnight rambler

I had to go tru 3 headlight switches to get a good one that worked. The high beam dimmer is on the floor on my 74. Did you get it figured out ?
midnight rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 02:22 AM   #10
Gregski
Post Whore

LOL, if the headlights are your biggest problem / concern with the " 73 c10 short bed for a good price" you just made the deal of a century. Surely I thought this cry for help would be about the R word ( R U S T ) I don't mean to be rude, I am actually happy for you, so take a deep breath and divide and conquer, it may seem overwhelming but this is a C10 not the Space Shuttle, the wiring is simple, I think the passenger side light is daisy chained off of the driver side one, which connects to the driver side of the wiring harness box next to the master brake cylinder. I would wipe those wires down and check for cracks and or stripped wires, as a start that is. Then there's the business on the other end of the firewall.
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 04:11 AM   #11
loujizzel

Talking Re: Help me! Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregski View Post
LOL, if the headlights are your biggest problem / concern with the " 73 c10 short bed for a good price" you just made the deal of a century. Surely I thought this cry for help would be about the R word ( R U S T ) I don't mean to be rude, I am actually happy for you, so take a deep breath and divide and conquer, it may seem overwhelming but this is a C10 not the Space Shuttle, the wiring is simple, I think the passenger side light is daisy chained off of the driver side one, which connects to the driver side of the wiring harness box next to the master brake cylinder. I would wipe those wires down and check for cracks and or stripped wires, as a start that is. Then there's the business on the other end of the firewall.
Thanks but the headlights are the least of my worries.... DID YOU SAY RUST....um yes my floor boards are rusted pretty bad but thank God my friend at work has his welding lic. He told me he can have the old ones cut out and patch in no time and best part he will do it for FREE... well maybe a case of budwiser lol and pizza... other then that the rest of the cab is solid... so i orderd the patch panels.

As far as the lights i didnt get a chance to remove the old dimmer switch and headlight switch i will be tackling that tomorrow... i just want to drive it at night.... here is the crazy part of my headlight problem. If i turn them on only one comes on if i hit the dimmer low goes off and the oppisite side comes on in high, but if i hit the dimmer again the low on the opposite side comes on so i have one high beam and one low beam on at the same time... i hope replacement of both switches and checking ground will solve my dilemma