The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-27-2016, 06:49 PM   #1
klaw

power steering and brakes on 62 chevy truck

i want to put power steering and power brakes on my 62 chevy truck. Is this possible with just finding parts at a local salvage. Ive shopped a few different websites but its kind of pricey. Hoping maybe i can just put some parts togethor and make it work.
klaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 06:59 PM   #2
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

Re: power steering and brakes on 62 chevy truck

What motor? You staying with drums?
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 07:01 PM   #3
jtrichard

What trans you running?
jtrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 12:33 AM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Yes it can be done with good used original parts, That is how I have always done it. You will need a steering box adapter plate and a booster bracket. I do make those.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 12:44 AM   #5
slepysal

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaw View Post
i want to put power steering and power brakes on my 62 chevy truck. Is this possible with just finding parts at a local salvage. Ive shopped a few different websites but its kind of pricey. Hoping maybe i can just put some parts togethor and make it work.
Well yes and no.It depends on a few things.
The 60-62 frames and suspension are different then the 63-66.
So unless you find a 60-62 that has been converted to power brakes and power steering at the junk yard you will not find anything that will just bolt in.
But.. if you want disc brakes .. you can get a 72-87 C10 cross member ( get everything control-arms gear box ,pump hoses etc) and swap that in. There is a great write up in the FAQ section.

Or go the route I did on my 60 and use a 1972 gear box and CPP 60-62 power steering adapter or get one from member Captainfab. again 60-62 specific adapter
I used 2.5" drop spindles to convert to disc. see link
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ight=1960+disc
There are other things to keep in mind, as mentioned what motor/tranny do you have? If it is a manual transmission you need to address the hydraulic clutch. I put together mine but again Captainfab can help you with that.
You will need power-steering pulleys v8 are easy to find L6 are a bit harder to come across.
Do it ! Well worth the effort.

Capt you beat me with your info !

"Over, Around or through it... "

Last edited by slepysal; 01-28-2016 at 12:52 AM.
slepysal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 02:37 AM   #6
smoothone

Quote:
Originally Posted by slepysal View Post
Well yes and no.It depends on a few things.
The 60-62 frames and suspension are different then the 63-66.
So unless you find a 60-62 that has been converted to power brakes and power steering at the junk yard you will not find anything that will just bolt in.
But.. if you want disc brakes .. you can get a 72-87 C10 cross member ( get everything control-arms gear box ,pump hoses etc) and swap that in. There is a great write up in the FAQ section.

Or go the route I did on my 60 and use a 1972 gear box and CPP 60-62 power steering adapter or get one from member Captainfab. again 60-62 specific adapter
I used 2.5" drop spindles to convert to disc. see link
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ight=1960+disc
There are other things to keep in mind, as mentioned what motor/tranny do you have? If it is a manual transmission you need to address the hydraulic clutch. I put together mine but again Captainfab can help you with that.
You will need power-steering pulleys v8 are easy to find L6 are a bit harder to come across.
Do it ! Well worth the effort.

Capt you beat me with your info !

With the CPP steering plates you have to drill holes in those. Captain fab is out of plates. Is there actually no other company that makes a quality plate?

Last edited by smoothone; 01-28-2016 at 02:51 AM.
smoothone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 11:54 AM   #7
klaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPowers View Post
What motor? You staying with drums?
Im putting a 350 motor in it. I want to put disc brakes all the way around if possible. But for now i think i will just stick with changing the front to disc and leaving the rear if that can be done. thanks for asking. Im all new to this forum never used one in my life
Old 01-28-2016, 12:06 PM   #8
slepysal

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothone View Post
With the CPP steering plates you have to drill holes in those. Captain fab is out of plates. Is there actually no other company that makes a quality plate?

I had no issues with the plates I had to drill one hole.
I have had zero issues with the CPP plate and its been on my truck for over 5 years.
CPP makes two styles one for 60-62 and 63-66.Make sure you get the 60-62 plate pn#6062PSK

Old 01-28-2016, 12:09 PM   #9
suburban99

I have disc's on the front of my 62, they are off a 1978 c10 (crossmember swap)
I also have power steering from the same vehicle with an adapter plate. I had a custom power steering hose made to adapt the LS style PS pump to the old PS box. Take your time reading these forums they are a wealth of info and lots of good guys to help you out.
suburban99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 12:15 PM   #10
klaw

i have a 4 speed muncie
Old 01-28-2016, 12:41 PM   #11
klaw

Thank you to all you guys for the info. Im sitting here completely immersed in all the info. Don't know how to take it all in. First thing i need to do is get out of Chicago and back home to okla where my truck is. I probably be trying to contact you guys again in the coming weeks for some more info if you dont mind.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:36 PM   #12
smoothone

Quote:
I had no issues with the plates I had to drill one hole.
I have had zero issues with the CPP plate and its been on my truck for over 5 years.
CPP makes two styles one for 60-62 and 63-66.Make sure you get the 60-62 plate pn#6062PSK
My truck is a 66. Your saying I should get the 60-62 plate? Does it fit better than the one made for a 66?
Old 01-29-2016, 02:42 AM   #13
slepysal

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothone View Post
My truck is a 66. Your saying I should get the 60-62 plate? Does it fit better than the one made for a 66?
Sorry man, OP has a 62 and my post was meant for 60-62 trucks .
If you have a 66 the 60-62 plates will not fit.
Not to hijack this thread but do you already have the 63-66 CPP plate?
If so is it not fitting? You may want to start a new thread and see what others have done . Im sure some will be able to help

Old 01-29-2016, 05:27 PM   #14
jtrichard

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaw View Post
To put both on your truck you will need captains steering bracket for 60/62 and find a gear and pump off of like a 73 up truck... As for brakes you will need his 60/62 power brake booster/clutch bracket and a clutch master you can find the right booster and brake master in a wrecking yard
jtrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 05:34 PM   #15
smoothone

Quote:
Sorry man, OP has a 62 and my post was meant for 60-62 trucks .
If you have a 66 the 60-62 plates will not fit.
Not to hijack this thread but do you already have the 63-66 CPP plate?
If so is it not fitting? You may want to start a new thread and see what others have done . Im sure some will be able to help
Captainfab has notified me that the steering box brackets are in and I have placed my order for that and the brake and hydroboost bracket. I do appreciate the help you have offered though.