The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-30-2016, 12:05 PM   #1
bubba327
HOW long until spring??

Anyone torn a wiper gearbox apart?

I bought a two speed wiper from the pick a part yard a while back and when tested I found it runs quite noisy in the gears.
I do have some single speed wiper motors and they all run smooth and quiet. Since the speed change happens with the windings in the motor, are the gearing the same?
Has anybody ever drilled the rivets and dissembled the gearbox?
Wonder if things would interchange......
bubba327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:11 AM   #2
bubba327
HOW long until spring??

Re: Anyone torn a wiper gearbox apart?

Nobody has been curious enough about the inner magic of a wiper gearbox to take it apart?
Anybody know the difference between a three terminal motor and a four terminal motor?
Old 01-31-2016, 11:44 AM   #3
pimpston65

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba327 View Post
Nobody has been curious enough about the inner magic of a wiper gearbox to take it apart?
Anybody know the difference between a three terminal motor and a four terminal motor?
i took one apart the clean the guts. i didnt really think about the connections, but maybe if its single or double speed plus the sprayer will use either 3 or 4 prongs.
pimpston65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 06:52 PM   #4
ray_mcavoy

I've taken a couple apart to clean & re-grease the gearbox. I don't know if the gears are interchangeable between the 2-speed & single-speed though.

As for the 3 vs. 4 terminal motors, they're both nearly identical. The 4th terminal (when present) is an additional power terminal. It's connected directly to the regular power terminal that's right next to it on the motor's terminal board. A short jumper wire plugs onto the 4th terminal to feed power on to the washer.

With the 3-terminal motor, the power feed wire from the fuse box and the short jumper that feeds the washer are crimped together (as part of the harness design) to form a daisy chain type connection.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:26 PM   #5
bubba327
HOW long until spring??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_mcavoy View Post
I've taken a couple apart to clean & re-grease the gearbox. I don't know if the gears are interchangeable between the 2-speed & single-speed though.

As for the 3 vs. 4 terminal motors, they're both nearly identical. The 4th terminal (when present) is an additional power terminal. It's connected directly to the regular power terminal that's right next to it on the motor's terminal board. A short jumper wire plugs onto the 4th terminal to feed power on to the washer.

With the 3-terminal motor, the power feed wire from the fuse box and the short jumper that feeds the washer are crimped together (as part of the harness design) to form a daisy chain type connection.
I wondered if the grease had dried out- I found a 3 terminal two speed rebuilt unit on the shelf locally so I will just use the noisy one for for the core.
Thanks guys.