The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-31-2016, 08:23 PM   #1
Tumbleweed1C4

A/C-heat diverter flapper repair

My flapper was broke and after searching for ways to fix it I decided on this method and thought I would share it in case anybody else is looking for ideas. Mine was broke right in half about a 1/2 inch from the pivot rod. The only thing holding it together was the rubber seal around the perimeter. I removed the flapper from the housing by prying it open on the actuator side of the housing just enough to pull the flapper free from the rod holes and finesse it out of the housing. On mine the housing was held together most firmly by glue under the flat tab on top of this picture. (I see after previewing the post that my writing in the picture is not too easy to see. I gently pried a knife blade under the tab to break the adhesive while I pushed to housing apart with my open hand in the opening of the housing. It popped open just enough to extract the flapper.)
Name:  1.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  39.2 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  34.8 KB

I took a piece of sheet aluminum and cut out a piece to lay over the flapper, laid a coat of 2 ton epoxy on the flapper, then coated the aluminum and laid that down on the bed of epoxy, then laid another bed of epoxy near the joint that was broke and lapped it up onto the rubber around the rod, and let it dry overnight.
Name:  3.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  29.6 KB
On the reverse side, the next morning I laid another layer of epoxy.
Name:  4.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  37.5 KB

It appears to be very solid. I have not put everything together and used it yet, so that part of the story is not complete. But from looking at it and twisting on the rod while I hold the flapper, it seems very strong. I will put the flapper back in and glue the tab and housing back together. I think I just saved myself a hundred bucks. Hope it helps somebody or gives you an idea to monkey around with.

72 K5 Blazer
72 K10 SWB (in pieces under slow construction!)
72 K20
Tumbleweed1C4 is offline   Reply With Quote