The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-01-2016, 05:34 PM   #1
Billet man

LS swap help please.

So I'm getting ready to do a LS Swap on my 1972 GMC c1500 Sierra Grande but want to make sure I have a the info and parts list right before I start buying stuff and getting ready to tear it down. I'm on a budget so I'm going to be using a Tremec T5 manual trans that's already in my truck that's connected to the stock sbc 350 right now (I know they aren't very strong but can't afford a t56 right now) Here's what I've got on the parts needed list so far.

LS Swap parts list:
Motor (I want a 6.0 Chevy truck motor)
With wiring harness, PCM (Thottle Pedal and TAC Module if it's drive by wire)
Aluminum 3 core truck radiator
Have the harness and PCM modded
Walbro 255 fuel pump
Corvette Fuel filter-regulator combo
CPP’s Sheet Metal Engine Mounts for LS Swap
Autometer adapters (12mm X 1.5 too 1/8 NPT for oil sending unit for gauge) and
(16mm X 1.5 too 1/8 NPT for temp sending unit for gauge)
Add Resistor to tach so it works
Summit Racing brand Stainless braided fuel line.
Hedman 45660 swap headers
Silver Sport Transmissions 621 bell housing for LS Swap
168 tooth flywheel and 11 inch clutch
LS 7 pilot bearing

If there's anything else I need please let me know. I'm planning on using the factory LS AC compressor in the future but won't be hooking that up right now. Also I read somewhere about a having to put a VSS module on the t5 so the motor doesn't stall? Is that right and if so how would I go about putting it on the trans? I'm also wondering if I get a drive by wire motor setup can I make it drive by cable so I don't have to mount the throttle pedal and TAC? Thanks in advance for all the help.
Billet man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:34 PM   #2
Billet man

LS swap help please.

So I'm getting ready to do a LS Swap on my 1972 GMC c1500 Sierra Grande but want to make sure I have a the info and parts list right before I start buying stuff and getting ready to tear it down. I'm on a budget so I'm going to be using a Tremec T5 manual trans that's already in my truck that's connected to the stock sbc 350 right now (I know they aren't very strong but can't afford a t56 right now) Here's what I've got on the parts needed list so far.

LS Swap parts list:
Motor (I want a 6.0 Chevy truck motor)
With wiring harness, PCM (Thottle Pedal and TAC Module if it's drive by wire)
Aluminum 3 core truck radiator
Have the harness and PCM modded
Walbro 255 fuel pump
Corvette Fuel filter-regulator combo
CPP’s Sheet Metal Engine Mounts for LS Swap
Autometer adapters (12mm X 1.5 too 1/8 NPT for oil sending unit for gauge) and
(16mm X 1.5 too 1/8 NPT for temp sending unit for gauge)
Add Resistor to tach so it works
Summit Racing brand Stainless braided fuel line.
Hedman 45660 swap headers
Silver Sport Transmissions 621 bell housing for LS Swap
168 tooth flywheel and 11 inch clutch
LS 7 pilot bearing

If there's anything else I need please let me know. I'm planning on using the factory LS AC compressor in the future but won't be hooking that up right now. Also I read somewhere about a having to put a VSS module on the t5 so the motor doesn't stall? Is that right and if so how would I go about putting it on the trans? I'm also wondering if I get a drive by wire motor setup can I make it drive by cable so I don't have to mount the throttle pedal and TAC? Thanks in advance for all the help.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:12 PM   #3
michael bustamante

Re: LS swap help please.

which corvette filter/ reg combo are you using? do you have a part # as thats what ill be needing too
Old 02-01-2016, 06:14 PM   #4
frenchy51

"SpearTech" (John-www.speartech.com 765-378/4908)) is a good place to start-They have wiring harness and a ton of knowledge. FYI I've heard that 5.3 or 4.8 motors while not as much power are easier (ie-cheaper) to do.
frenchy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:14 PM   #5
frenchy51

"SpearTech" (John-www.speartech.com 765-378/4908)) is a good place to start-They have wiring harness and a ton of knowledge. FYI I've heard that 5.3 or 4.8 motors while not as much power are easier (ie-cheaper) to do.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:35 PM   #6
Billet man

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael bustamante View Post
which corvette filter/ reg combo are you using? do you have a part # as thats what ill be needing too
This should help ya out man!

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 732
Size:  51.4 KB
Old 02-01-2016, 06:35 PM   #7
Billet man

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael bustamante View Post

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  51.4 KB
Old 02-01-2016, 06:38 PM   #8
Billet man

I appreciate it! Is just the motors (4.8 or 5.3 cheaper? I think all the parts should be the same, am I right on that or did I misunderstand?
Old 02-01-2016, 06:38 PM   #9
Billet man

I appreciate it! Is just the motors (4.8 or 5.3 cheaper? I think all the parts should be the same, am I right on that or did I misunderstand?
Old 02-01-2016, 06:53 PM   #10
frenchy51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billet man View Post
All I know is that on my Suburban 6.0 swap that it's getting so complicated and expensive that I wish I had just left her with the carb.....A local mechanic who I trust says that the 5.3 and 4.8 are virtually "plug and play" and are much easier than the 6.0 swap. Wish I could explain it, but I'm far from being an expert....You're right there in the same boat I was 2 years ago. I got a Speartech harness, gauges, shifter etc. '90 Blazer fuel tank and sender, Vette fuel pump, surefit brackets, etc etc.....
I know I sound like sour grapes-others have done the swap and are happy (if not broke). Just know the can of worms you're opening.

Last edited by ETsC10; 02-02-2016 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Edited to remove for sale comments
Old 02-01-2016, 06:53 PM   #11
frenchy51

Quote:
All I know is that on my Suburban 6.0 swap that it's getting so complicated and expensive that I'm considering selling it 3/4's done just to be rid of it-wish I had just left her with the carb.....A local mechanic who I trust says that the 5.3 and 4.8 are virtually "plug and play" and are much easier than the 6.0 swap. Wish I could explain it, but I'm far from being an expert....You're right there in the same boat I was 2 years ago. I got a Speartech harness, gauges, shifter etc. '90 Blazer fuel tank and sender, Vette fuel pump, surefit brackets, etc etc.....and as I said-I've lost the will to finish it-I'm over it and am going to play with my stock C10 72 Pickup! Want to buy a '70 Suburban for what I have in it in parts and labor? I know I sound like sour grapes-others have done the swap and are happy (if not broke). Just know the can of worms you're opening.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:54 PM   #12
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: LS swap help please.

You may get better response in the LS swap area.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/f...prune=-1&f=206

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:54 PM   #13
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: LS swap help please.

You may get better response in the LS swap area.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/f...prune=-1&f=206

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:31 PM   #14
SoCoC10

There should be no cost difference between doing a 6.0L, 5.3lL or a 4.8L truck engines. The later engines with displacement on demand can get more expensive if you want to eliminate the DOD with a cam swap. I'd recommend starting with a 6.0L or larger displacement engine if you want to exceed 400HP or so. The 4" bore on the 6.0L or larger engines will accept the LS3 cylinder heads which are inexpensive performance heads. Heads for the 5.7L or smaller engines can be very cost prohibitive.
SoCoC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:31 PM   #15
SoCoC10

There should be no cost difference between doing a 6.0L, 5.3lL or a 4.8L truck engines. The later engines with displacement on demand can get more expensive if you want to eliminate the DOD with a cam swap. I'd recommend starting with a 6.0L or larger displacement engine if you want to exceed 400HP or so. The 4" bore on the 6.0L or larger engines will accept the LS3 cylinder heads which are inexpensive performance heads. Heads for the 5.7L or smaller engines can be very cost prohibitive.
SoCoC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 06:31 AM   #16
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

Edits in post #6

Forum Guidelines and Rules
Buying and Selling Code of Conduct
Become a Board Supporter!
Truck FAQ

Ellen... the boards artsy-fartsy, eclectic, truck-lovin' gal-member...
ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 02:23 AM   #17
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

400hp is not an issue for any, even the 4.8. If thats your end-goal, then you can balance the cost of modding a 4.8/5.3 to 400hp, against the slightly higher investment cost in a 6.0 (or the Ls1/2/3/6).

Your local market will determine that a bit as well. In some places, a pullout 5.3 and a pullout 6.0 will be within $200, in which case I'd go 6.0

However other areas seem to be wanting almost double for the 6.0, and in those cases, putting a few extra $ in the 5.3 may actually be cost beneficial to achieve the same power levels.

Depending on year, the you'll need to switch the rail if you want to run the returnless ('vette style) fuel lines on the truck motors. Earlier trucks ran a return rail; its just as functional and easy to work with, but uses a return line and doesn't use the 'vette style filter/reg. Once you find your motor, then build your fuel system...you may need to make changes, and some choices will require different sets of fittings.

Also, don't be afraid of the DBW stuff. Mounting the TAC and pedal is fairly easy, and the DBW has some cool stuff that can be done with it for unusual swaps or non standard mounting.

I'd definitely suggest taking a look through this LSx section (I saw your thread was moved). We've built every gen truck on this site with an LS by now, and there are literally thousands of threads on all the tech. The "search this forum" or "search this thread" buttons on the right (not the google search up top) is also a way to get to the specific info faster.

Oh, and the "What ya got" post at the top of the section can give you some ideas if your stuck or not sure what you want to do with it yet!

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 03:07 AM   #18
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Like Brew says ..6.0 or 5.3..not much difference in cost around here..my 02 lq9 6.0 install went very smooth..I was impressed with how simple it was. On my fuel system I went with the walbro 255/vette filter/reg but on my fuel rail I just bought a cap to plug the return port on the fuel rail..on the vss they told me to just not hook up that wire that it wasn't needed.mines not hooked to anything and i havnt had any issues..I used a psi wiring harness on mine..only thing I saw not on your list that I used was electric fans but thats personal preference. You got about all the big stuff covered on your list.. Also i don't know about the 70s trucks but on my 81 the headers that headman says works with a manual trans/mechanical clutch wont ..the ones I got from them they said would work wouldn't because the downtubes and collectors occupy the same space that my clutch linkage and z-bar did. I wound up with a set made for a hummer and still had to mod those.

Last edited by mongocanfly; 02-03-2016 at 03:28 AM.
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 02:05 PM   #19
michael bustamante

Quote:

Attachment 1494603
cool thank you!!
Old 02-03-2016, 04:51 PM   #20
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

Since your in Arlington, You could come look at my 4.8/4l60e swap or, go to Larry's speed in Fort Worth and speak to Chris. He is a great guy and very knowledgeable ( So is Larry) on these swaps and they actually do the swaps at Larry's if you want someone to do it for you.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 05:51 PM   #21
SaltyC20

These adapters are half the price of the Autometer ones. This one kit will do both the oil and temp sensor.

http://amzn.com/B001DKM4PU