The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-13-2016, 01:49 PM   #1
lutronjim

Removing door weather strip glue

Want to remove glue attaching door rubber. I've tried acetone. It will remove the paint but the glue just sits there.

Thanks
lutronjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 01:51 PM   #2
Malamute

Re: Removing door weather strip glue

Good luck! I used a wire wheel but I didn't have a nice paint job to worry about. The new weatherstripping covered anything up anyway. If you have a dremel that would probably do the trick as well if you weren't concerned about paint.
Malamute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 02:01 PM   #3
Clavo106

I got this spray sticker remover stuff i believe turtle wax green aerosol can ... I use it quite often and works very well iv used it for other project purposes. I think u mite like it as well.. u can buy it at ur local auto parts store.. I haven't used it for this application yet but its worth a try.. good luck
Clavo106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 02:34 PM   #4
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Wow, removes paint but not glue........Hmmmmm.......You might try W-D 40 and a brush. Bet 3M has some good stuff.

Note: I tried "Goo Gone" on some other parts, which was a waste of time and money. Didn't remove the paint as advertised, nor anything else.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 03:22 PM   #5
Gromit

I tried the $13 can of 3M from Autozone (photo attached)

It worked about the same is $6 GooGone from Walmart at about half the price (though that is liquid and not spray)..

The smell of the two 3M and GooGone were very similar - so much I don't think I could tell them apart, so I think they are the same stuff.

It was slow going with either solvent - it took about ten minutes of scrubbing and drenching just to remove six inches of old adhesive.. it gets old fast but I did it in stages and eventually got all the old stuff off using GooGone and the 3M. Neither one seemed to hurt the paint. A carbon mask was IMO necessary due to the fumes and the fact that you are right there huffing and puffing.

One thing I thought of later and did not try but might be worth trying is a heat gun. Just softening up the adhesive with a heat gun. But as always there are risks with the heat gun; for example probably don't want to hit your laminated safety glass or the windshield weatherstrip or any body sealants or carpet upholstery seatbelts etc.
Attached Images

Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 04:31 PM   #6
snipescastle2

Talking Re: Removing door weather strip glue

Ditto on the 3M weatherstrip adhesive softener, that stuff works pretty good.
Ben
snipescastle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 10:28 PM   #7
hugger6933

I'd say 3M adhesive remover. PB Blaster makes one as well. I have a stripe eraser on the TP Tools undercoating/paint remover thing but it is about $400 bucks. My wife swears by using cooking oil to remover sticky stuff But cured out weatherstrip adhesive? IDK
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 10:47 PM   #8
berch 69GMC

I used goof off and a corrugated wheel bit with a cordless drill. Worked but wasn't quick
berch 69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 11:12 PM   #9
Gromit

Hey I hope I don't sound like a smart aleck here but myself being a bit on the spectrum I don't know any other way but to just ask - what is a corrugated wheel bit? I googled it and clicked "images" as the search type and I get nothing I can figure out. do you have a photo or can you please elaborate what that is?
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 12:57 PM   #10
K2500HD

I had to get Gorilla tape and weatherstrip tape off of a truck bed recently. I tried goo gone, acetone, wd40, alcohol, mineral spirits, and everything short of napalm. The acetone worked but was going to haze and remove the paint. The best thing was PB Blaster but I had to let it soak in it for a while. It is messy and stinky but it did work with some time and elbow grease. I kept the glue wet and used shop towels wet with PB to rub the glue off. Some weatherstrip has a plastic like backing and that was really hard to remove as it prevents the solvent from getting into the glue. I would have used a 3m 'eraser' wheel in a drill, which is designed to remove body molding without harming paint, but I didn't have one on hand and didn't want to wait. By the time I was done I was wishing for the wheel.
K2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 11:34 AM   #11
berch 69GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
Hey I hope I don't sound like a smart aleck here but myself being a bit on the spectrum I don't know any other way but to just ask - what is a corrugated wheel bit? I googled it and clicked "images" as the search type and I get nothing I can figure out. do you have a photo or can you please elaborate what that is?
It was my choice of word to describe it that fooled google. Polycarbide at harbor freight.
Attached Images

berch 69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 12:25 PM   #12
bollybib

I've had real good luck with this stuff. I just finished removing some weatherstrip adhesive with it. It has worked on just about everything I've ever used it on and doesn't harm the substrate.

Name:  51Dh69oi2RL__SL1280_.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  65.3 KB

My Daily Driver is a 1969 Chevrolet Custom/20 Fleetside 350/TH400/Eaton H052 4.10
and its Project thread is here http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=456911
bollybib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 03:41 PM   #13
Hellbent
Don't blame the messenger

I have never had to remove weather strip glue. But, I've had success using naphtha to remove very old adhesive residue. Get it at Home Depot or Lowes.

On the Level
Just a guy with a hammer and a grinder. OH!, and an HOA- enough said...: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372525
"Some drink from the fountain of knowledge while others just gargle."
Hellbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:29 PM   #14
snipescastle2

Talking Re: Removing door weather strip glue

Corrugated wheels? We always called them "Bionic Pubic Hairs" guess if you were going to use that, i'd be leery about the paint under it, but I guess its covered up by the weatherstrip..
Ben
snipescastle2 is offline   Reply With Quote