The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-15-2016, 09:24 PM   #1
davepl

Accessing the cab side of the door jamb

I'd like to install some contact switches to pass along lines for (hidden) power windows or power locks. I have the contact switches, as I'd rather not run a conduit.

Seems simple enough, but where can I get good access to the back side of the cab's door jamb, about where the dome light switch currently is?

I'm wondering if you can reach through the vent and get there, or if there's some way to get at the back side of it. Other than the factory door jamb switch there's nothing in there, so I never have had occasion to be in there!

Thanks,
Dave
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 11:19 PM   #2
Wizo

Re: Accessing the cab side of the door jamb

Greetings Dave;Ron here from down in Tacoma.I realize you don't want to do a conduit and would rather do contact switches but either way your in for a somewhat tuff job.I opted to do the conduit. I myself could not find any way into the "door jam". You can not get to it from the vent box.It is actually the bottom extension of the A pillar. Plz trust me I know. One of my upper door hinge nut plates fell down all the way to the bottom. It took an hour with several biers and safety wire to fish it back out. Royal PITA.
I cut a square hole in the door jam from the outside (with door removed) to access the area behind where the push pin light switch would be mounted.
I also drilled a 1.5 inch hole in the door jam behind the dash to run the wires through. I used safety wire to fish the wires back through. You will want to put a rubber grommet in the hole behind the dash to protect the wires. I hope this helps you out. PM me if you wish/need to. Take care.
Attached Images

Wizo is offline   Reply With Quote