The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-16-2016, 02:10 AM   #1
86Hoopty

Wiper Problem

So I screwed around with the wire spaghetti behind the dash in my 86 c1500. Problem is, now my wipers won't work, I'm not sure if I removed something I shouldn't have. I'm just curious if anyone knows what is included in the whole wiper system (switch, motor, etc.) Any help would be appreciated
86Hoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 01:03 PM   #2
Front Range

Re: Wiper Problem

What exactly where you doing under the dash, cut anything, splice anything, or unplug anything?

Wires should run from wiper switch to fuseblock to wiper motor. According to the wiring diagram in the Haynes manual the wires coming off the wiper switch should be colored:

Pink
Purple
Black
Gray
Black w Light Blue Stripe

It's possible you disconnected a ground wire or jerked the wiper plug loose. Might want to trace those wires and see what you can find.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:24 PM   #3
86Hoopty

Thanks, I'll take a look, I got rid of my cruise control and the little ignition computer. I had heard about a pulse module for the wiper system but had no clue what it was haha
Old 02-17-2016, 04:11 PM   #4
Front Range

Might think about checking your fuse panel if you didn't already. It's possible you caused the wiper switch fuse to "pop" when messing with the wiring.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:27 PM   #5
86Hoopty

So I've replaced the motor. Still nothing. I checked with a test light, power to all 5 wires connected to the motor when the switch is on, this doesn't seem right.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:14 PM   #6
ray_mcavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Hoopty View Post
So I've replaced the motor. Still nothing. I checked with a test light, power to all 5 wires connected to the motor when the switch is on, this doesn't seem right.
That could be normal to have power on all the wires like that if the switch were OFF. That's because the switch is on the ground side of the circuit. Power is fed to the motor via the white wire. And the switch grounds either the gray wire for low speed or grounds the purple wire for high speed. The other gray wire & the black w/light blue stripe wire go to the park switch.

Anyway, with the swtich off, the connections to the gray & purple wires are open so you'll see voltage on those wires coming through the motor windings.

Seeing as how this is happening with your switch ON, I suspect you have a break in the wiring somewhere in between the motor & switch. Like Front Range said, check to see if you accidentally pulled the plug loose from the wiper switch. And if your truck has delay wipers, there is a module that is wired inline with the switch (it's usually located right under the steering column). Check to make sure that is still plugged in as well.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 01:33 PM   #7
86Hoopty

So if the switch is grounding either of the wires, if I were to unplug the connector from the module and directly ground the purple wire would that make it work? Also I noticed that from the motor side of the module there is a black wire that is coming from the connector, thus black wire also has power, should this wire even have power?
Old 02-18-2016, 05:50 PM   #8
ray_mcavoy

Quote:
So if the switch is grounding either of the wires, if I were to unplug the connector from the module and directly ground the purple wire would that make it work?
Yes, provided the wiring & connections between the module & motor are good, unplugging the connector from the module and grounding either the gray or purple wire should bypass the switch and make the motor run.

Quote:
Also I noticed that from the motor side of the module there is a black wire that is coming from the connector, thus black wire also has power, should this wire even have power?
I think that black wire is the one that is supposed to be providing the ground to the switch. So if you are seeing voltage on that wire, it means that it must no longer be grounded and voltage is coming back onto that wire through the motor windings.

Chances are, that bad ground is your problem. Looking at the 86 wiring diagram, it appears as though that black wire leads back to a factory splice where it joins up with other ground wires for the instrument cluster, etc. And the main ground for it all is connected to the ground bus bar that's over near the parking brake.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 05:53 PM   #9
86Hoopty

Okay I thought it was supposed to be grounded, I'll have to check that out when I get home. When I traced it back it went behind the fuse panel and I couldn't trace anymore
Old 02-19-2016, 01:37 AM   #10
86Hoopty

Well no luck, looks like I'm gonna have to tear everything apart. Just out of curiosity, say I wanted to rewire it to 2 seperate switches(one for low and one for high) would that be possible? My factory switch is now broken and I don't want to pay $200 for a new one.😐
Old 02-19-2016, 08:32 AM   #11
ironroad9c1
Master Hater

I have something weird too.. when I start the truck, the wipers automatically come on for a couple of wipes and then stop but don't park.
"This evening, all of you bleeding hearts... why don't just go ahead and hug yourself for the next 20 minutes or so, because there's a really good chance you're gonna be offended".- Captain Owen Honors
ironroad9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 12:48 PM   #12
Front Range

Quote:
Well no luck, looks like I'm gonna have to tear everything apart. Just out of curiosity, say I wanted to rewire it to 2 seperate switches(one for low and one for high) would that be possible? My factory switch is now broken and I don't want to pay $200 for a new one.😐
If your tight on money, maybe consider just running a non-pulse factory wiper switch. Classic parts sells them for 30 bucks. http://www.classicparts.com/searchprods.asp (assuming we are talking about the same thing). Without knowing you I get the impression you just want the problem fixed as quickly, simply and cost effectively as possible. If the switch worked fine before you got into the wiring then I'd really look hard at the work you did. Hate to see you make it worse by trying to wire up switches when your not sure what the original problem is.

I could also be wrong and it might take you 2 minutes to install a flip switch.
Old 02-21-2016, 06:21 PM   #13
86Hoopty

Well I ended up just wiring it to a toggle switch, can't believe how easy it was haha, I think my main problem was the wiper arms were on but not at the right setting, so when I finally got them to move they would go don't in to the cowl area and the motor would stop from not being able to spin freely. And you were right I just wanted it done quick and cheap. I don't drive in the rain too often but if I get caught in it atleast I have low speed wipers now. Thank you for all the help
Old 02-22-2016, 12:48 AM   #14
Front Range

In the end all that matters is that you are happy with it and it works.