The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-20-2016, 06:30 PM   #1
Vortech

brake booster help

Ok, finally decided to pick up booster and master cylinder for dual power drum brake setup. I bought a used setup from craigslist. Guy said it was pulled from a 1965. He said booster was new, looks new. Question I have is the following.
1) when I disassembled to clean up master cylinder to paint, I noticed a lot of corrosion on inner cylinder. I also tried to push piston in and it wouldn't budge. Booster appears to work fine with master cylinder removed. Can Spray withh something to try and free it up

2) Is this the correct master and booster combo for drum drum?

3) do I need to use proportioning valve for drum drum? Or can I just remove
4) Is the shaft for the piston long enough, see pics. Seems like it is too short to activate piston when and if I free it up.

Thanks,
Attached Images

Vortech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 06:41 PM   #2
ray_mcavoy

Re: brake booster help

(1) Probably best to just get a new master cylinder. Even if you do get the piston to free up, the bore might be rusty and leak fluid.

(2) That looks to be a stock type master cylinder for a 67-70 truck or similar application with 4-wheel drums. But the booster appears to be a newer model that was most likely retrofitted to the 65 it was pulled from. I don't think it will bolt directly to the firewall without an adapter.

(3) What you have pictured there is simply a distribution block with a pressure differential warning switch. There is no proportioning valve inside. And a proportioning valve is not needed when staying with 4-wheel drums since the sizing of the wheel cylinders takes care of the proportioning. The only reason you might want to keep that distribution block would be if you wanted to hook up a "brake" warning light that would come on if you lost pressure in one half of the system.

(4) That pushrod does look a bit short. There were a couple versions and you need one that matches the depth of the pushrod hole in the back of the master cylinder piston.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 06:46 PM   #3
vince1

I bought a master cylinder for a 67 and it was a bolt in to my 66 and it did not need a proportioning valve. It looks like yours is due for a rebuild kit or complete replacement.

About the booster I haven't done that part of it yet but you might need a bracket from Captain Fab to get the booster mounted to the firewall and then need to extend the rod.
vince1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 09:03 PM   #4
Vortech

Thanks, conventional wisdom got the best of me when I bought this used. I had planned to buy new, but saw this and thought it was a good price. I assume I can use the booster with new master cylinder. I had planned to pick up a bracket from Captainfab to finish up the install. I will sort out the push rod depth once I have the new master cylinder.
Old 02-21-2016, 01:35 AM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

As ray_mcavoy stated, that master cylinder appears to be a '67-'70 master cylinder and the metering block as well. However, that master cylinder has the deep bore in the back of the piston. The booster you have has the short pushrod. You will either need a long intermediate pushrod or purchase the '70 Buick Estate wagon master cylinder for a drum/drum brake system.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 12:14 PM   #6
Vortech

Thanks, the push rod appears to be 2-1/4". What size do I need and where can I pick one up?
Attached Images

Old 02-21-2016, 12:15 PM   #7
Vortech

Here is a picture fully inserted in the master cylinder
Attached Images

Old 02-21-2016, 12:16 PM   #8
Vortech

another in the static booster
Attached Images

Old 02-21-2016, 02:47 PM   #9
Vortech

will this push rod work

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELCO-Power-...-/181958676080
Old 02-22-2016, 12:20 AM   #10
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

It sounds like it should work. I would suggest contacting the seller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortech View Post
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote