The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-21-2016, 02:53 PM   #1
jrpitdog

Help with front end vibration/wheel bearings

So I have a rebuilt/slightly modified 2wd 66. I bought it already built. The front end has mid 80s 3/4ton spindles and hubs with disc brakes. The truck was built only a few years ago, the entire truck either had new parts or rebuilt parts installed. Truck only has about 10k miles on it since the finished rebuild. I drive this truck a few times a week to work on the freeway, it has a 700r so I scoot right on down the freeway. Last week I noticed some vibration up front at higher speeds, actually it was most noticeable around 50-60mph then got a little less noticeable above 60. When I got home I jacked up the front end and grabbed the wheel at 12 and 6 and got a little play. I took off the dust cap, pulled the cotter pin and checked the castle nut, I could back it off by hand, so I tightened it down just until there was no more play, both wheels were like this. Next day I drove it and the vibration was noticeably less in the morning, but on the way home it was the worst it has ever been, I almost pulled over and got it towed because I thought the wheels where going to come off. I got home and before I pulled the hubs I checked the bearing play and couldnt detect any???? I pulled the hubs and visually inspected the bearings and races, I cant see anything wrong with them at all. Granted I dont consider myself a bearing expert but I cant visually see anything wrong with them, and they are quality USA bearings (NDH). I do notice uneven wear on the outside edge of both my front tires. All the tie rod ends, ball joints and bushings are new, everything seems to be tight. It dosent pull on the highway either. So now Im just looking for some advise. Anybody have a good way to visually inspect for wear on bearings? I remember hearing something about holding the bearing vertical and squeezing against the cage at the bottom or something. I know I should just go ahead and replace the bearings, get the tires rotated and balanced and have the front end checked and aligned and see what comes of that. Im just baffled by this vibration with no apparent cause.
jrpitdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 03:12 PM   #2
maxwoof

Re: Help with front end vibration/wheel bearings

My experience with wheel bearings is that when they are loose, the truck tends to wander, not necessarily vibrate.

I can tell you that when I was younger, I had a 66. The alignment got so bad, it would quickly eat up the insides of the tires. At the same time, on the highway, the front end would shake so bad, my hands would flop around on the steering wheel. I replaced some worn front end parts, and had it aligned. The guy at the shop told me it would still shake, the tires were worn out of balance. He was right. Eventually, I replaced the tires, had them balanced, and all was good. So in my case, the whole problem was out of balance wheels. Could be your problem too - sometimes, wheel weights fall off, throwing things out of balance.

Bad alignment can cause the shakes too. But, it's easy enough to check balance first, - some shops will do it for free - or even try switching front and rear tires to see if things change.

Good luck with it.
maxwoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 04:07 PM   #3
jrpitdog

Has anybody seen a spindle with a little lip or groove at the back surface where the flat part of the bearing rests? Its maybe only a couple thousandths in depth Name:  0221161236[1].jpg
Views: 144
Size:  30.3 KB
Old 02-21-2016, 04:16 PM   #4
jtrichard

That wont be a problem ......
jtrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 06:03 PM   #5
Wrenchbender Ret

The best way to quick check the wheel brgs is after you adjust to get the play out spin the wheel. If it makes a grinding noise the brgs are bad. Don't confuse that with a little brake rubbing noise which is normal. This shaking problem is not the bearings. It is most likely a tire out of round, the belt may have shifted. Put a stand or block near the tire & spin it. You will be able to see any major out of round.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 06:21 PM   #6
padresag

sounds like you may have a wheel balance problem or a separated tire. usually shows up at 50-60.
do not tighten up wheel bearings or you will have a problem. snug up the nut and then back it of about 1/8 turn and cotter pin it.
bearings should be void of pitting or scratches and not discoloured.
wash up the bearings and repack them. inspect them well when clean. there is also a proper way to pack them. replace the seals
get a tire shop to check for balance and separation
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 10:08 PM   #7
jrpitdog

Thanks everybody for the advise. I cleaned the bearings today, didnt notice a whole lot of pitting or galling but they did have excessive(IMHO) wear, according to the research I found. So I went ahead and got some new ones. I got lucky and found some German SKF and the local parts store. I will definatley take it in after I get the wheels back on and have the front end parts checked along with the tires. Thanks again everyone. This is my rig, it has west coast mirrors now, I couldnt see past the tool boxes. Name:  0209161756[1].jpg
Views: 169
Size:  32.3 KB
Old 02-22-2016, 12:11 AM   #8
60chevyjim

that's a good looking truck .
I like your old mirrors
even though they don't work on your truck .
60chevyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 03:38 AM   #9
WOLFMANmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpitdog View Post
So I have a rebuilt/slightly modified 2wd 66. I bought it already built. The front end has mid 80s 3/4ton spindles and hubs with disc brakes. The truck was built only a few years ago, the entire truck either had new parts or rebuilt parts installed. Truck only has about 10k miles on it since the finished rebuild. I drive this truck a few times a week to work on the freeway, it has a 700r so I scoot right on down the freeway. Last week I noticed some vibration up front at higher speeds, actually it was most noticeable around 50-60mph then got a little less noticeable above 60. When I got home I jacked up the front end and grabbed the wheel at 12 and 6 and got a little play. I took off the dust cap, pulled the cotter pin and checked the castle nut, I could back it off by hand, so I tightened it down just until there was no more play, both wheels were like this. Next day I drove it and the vibration was noticeably less in the morning, but on the way home it was the worst it has ever been, I almost pulled over and got it towed because I thought the wheels where going to come off. I got home and before I pulled the hubs I checked the bearing play and couldnt detect any???? I pulled the hubs and visually inspected the bearings and races, I cant see anything wrong with them at all. Granted I dont consider myself a bearing expert but I cant visually see anything wrong with them, and they are quality USA bearings (NDH). I do notice uneven wear on the outside edge of both my front tires. All the tie rod ends, ball joints and bushings are new, everything seems to be tight. It dosent pull on the highway either. So now Im just looking for some advise. Anybody have a good way to visually inspect for wear on bearings? I remember hearing something about holding the bearing vertical and squeezing against the cage at the bottom or something. I know I should just go ahead and replace the bearings, get the tires rotated and balanced and have the front end checked and aligned and see what comes of that. Im just baffled by this vibration with no apparent cause.

i had the same problem in my 65 and it ended up being a wheel out of balance and it wasent even a front wheel it was a rear.. i got new tires and got them balanced and tada problem gone . i couldn't believe that a rear time would cause all the vibration in the front end but it did . i say get new tires and get your self a good wheel alignment . you will be a happy driver trust me ..... Happy Truckin
WOLFMANmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 12:48 PM   #10
luvbowties

Smile Re: Help with front end vibration/wheel bearings

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpitdog View Post
Thanks everybody for the advise. I cleaned the bearings today, didnt notice a whole lot of pitting or galling but they did have excessive(IMHO) wear, according to the research I found. So I went ahead and got some new ones. I got lucky and found some German SKF and the local parts store. I will definatley take it in after I get the wheels back on and have the front end parts checked along with the tires. Thanks again everyone. This is my rig, it has west coast mirrors now, I couldnt see past the tool boxes. Attachment 1501648
I've seen on several trucks, including my own, a front wheel get knocked out of round where the wheel shifted under the lugs, kinda like after hitting a much too big pothole. What torque are you applying on the lugs? I went to the best, reputation-wise, front end man in our town. Found out he torques our older truck lugs considerably tighter than specs call for.

For comparison, look at specs on some 2000+/- year model trucks & notice the difference in their specs and our older trucks. True, some of the later trucks use larger, metric lugs, but wow what an increase. Keep looking 'til you find some later model 1/2-20 trucks, the size we use when going to disc brakes using 1/2-inch lugs. The lugs have much larger than specs than standard 1/2-20 tables give.

I was amazed. Hope this helps you out plus many others who may be riding around on much too-loose lugs! It was an eye-opener to me, having torqued 7/16 and 1/2 lugs the same old tightness, from memory, I had been using for years. But, now WRONG.
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote