The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-22-2016, 08:09 PM   #1
JW72ChevyTruck

Thumbs down Help for documentation

I am the original owner of a 1972 Chevy Half Ton, ShortBed, Fleetside, Cheyenne Super. I am preparing this truck to be donated to the Wounded Warriors Program, through a major auction.

Why? I offered my truck to my kids and grandkids, but no interest. I thought I heard one of them say, in a whisper, "the truck smells like old cheese". Apparently they don't want the truck, that's O.K. , I don't know how to play Xbox.

I special ordered my truck with the towing and trailer package, as well as anything and everything you could get on a 1972 Chevy truck, along with Corvette Silver paint. The American 10" aluminum wheels, I installed the same day I took delivery.

My questions are:

#1 I am looking for statistics on the 71 – 72 Chevy trucks, as on how many trucks were built in different configurations. How many ShortBed, Fleetside, Cheyenne Super's were built. How many 71 – 72 Chevy trucks were built with big block motors. ETC. Have information for the ID numbers. Specifically: How many 72 Chevy Cheyenne Super, ½ ton, shortbed, fleetside, 350C.I., 350Th, rear leaf springs, two piece drive shaft, 3:73 rear end, were built ?

#2 I am in California, I would like to know how to obtain a record for the complete ownership for my truck, from original purchase to present date. Contracted Calf DMV, they sent me back a current copy of the registration. Carfax only goes back as far as 1983, KBB to 1992.

Thank you for your help and information.

JW

Attached Images

JW72ChevyTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:21 PM   #2
geunther

Re: Help for documentation

Dad, is that you? Kidding of course. It is interesting how things change with what younger generations are interested in.

#1) The numbers you seek are pretty detailed and unfortunately, those kinds of statistics are unknown for these trucks. Others will certainly chime in with what they may know and what we can .

#2) Complete ownership may hard and be up to you to prove, if that is what you are wanting to do. If you saved all of your registrations over the years, that would show that you are the only one to ever register it. I assume you have the protecto-o-plate, if so that would certainly show the warranty was original to you. Original bill of sale and the like may be the best way to show what you are trying.

BTW. More pics, especially when it was new!
Old 02-22-2016, 10:23 PM   #3
kwmech

where's the old black and yellow plates? It's a shame they don't want the truck passed down. I'm sure they'll be sorry long term
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 10:46 PM   #4
71swb4x4

That is a very nice looking truck.
You special ordered the truck? Did you sell it and then buy it back? Just curious because at one point you say you ordered it and then you say you are looking for ownership history. Unless as already mentioned you are simply trying to prove it was yours the whole time. Otherwise it sounds like you have a cool story to tell about selling it and finding it again, that's why I am asking.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:25 AM   #5
swamp rat

There is a guy here SSTim, he probably has the info or where to get it regarding manufacture stuff.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 12:52 AM   #6
68bowtie

post a picture of the options sticker in the glove box. that will tell the most about what you have. nice truck you have there! the cheyenne supers are hard to come by, that is a special one for sure.

Survivor "Lil’ Mint" (67 c10 40k mile light green original paint)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh) SOLD
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh) SOLD
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:08 AM   #7
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
There is a guy here SSTim, he probably has the info or where to get it regarding manufacture stuff.
I'd be surprised if Tim or anyone else can provide that answer. I'll be checking back though.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:28 AM   #8
special-K
Special Order

Welcome to the site! Always nice to meet an original owner

I don't keep the stats handy, but what you will be able to learn is how many shortbed Fleetside V8 C/10s were built in '72. In other words, just the model info. No records were kept on options.

Do you have the protect-o-plate? That will provide enough to convince anyone you are the original owner. Can't prove it's history in between unless you kept solid records.

Are those wheels slots? That is what I assume, but I guess they could be the laced style.

Your post shows an excellent example of special paint on a buyer ordered truck

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 04:00 PM   #9
zosoppp

This will not break down by engine size (pretty sure that even the E/S listed in the model numbers are not correct) but they do break out year/model/bed types:

http://outintheshop.com/prodnum.html
zosoppp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:24 PM   #10
JW72ChevyTruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by geunther View Post
Dad, is that you? Kidding of course. It is interesting how things change with what younger generations are interested in.

#1) The numbers you seek are pretty detailed and unfortunately, those kinds of statistics are unknown for these trucks. Others will certainly chime in with what they may know and what we can .

#2) Complete ownership may hard and be up to you to prove, if that is what you are wanting to do. If you saved all of your registrations over the years, that would show that you are the only one to ever register it. I assume you have the protecto-o-plate, if so that would certainly show the warranty was original to you. Original bill of sale and the like may be the best way to show what you are trying.

BTW. More pics, especially when it was new!

Hi, Son !!!!!
Old 02-23-2016, 08:48 PM   #11
tommys72

Yep, need more pics of that one!

tommys72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:34 PM   #12
JW72ChevyTruck

Thumbs down Re: Help for documentation - Reply 1

Thanks everyone for the response.

Unfortunately I do not have any documentation for my truck. Nothing, zip, nodda, etc. I do have some of the registration cards. I purchase the truck as I was a general contract and to tow my Corvette race car up and down the west coast, road racing. It sat for about 15 years, then decided to resurrected the truck, it was pretty beat up and tired. Something like 180,000 miles. That's when I got the new plates.

The aluminum wheels are typical 1972 American slotted rims.

This is the fourth paint job, silver is the worst paint, the sun just destroys it in a matter of years.
Fourth engine, 350 CI, 400 HP, roller cam, roller rockers, headers, holly & aluminum high rise, HEI, engine blue printed, 6500 miles. Fourth trans, it is now a 700R4, 60 miles. I have replaced almost everything from bumper to bumper, in the last 6 years. Just have to finish the factory A/C.

I have been told by the auction company that it would be very helpfull if I could prove that it is a one owner truck.

Geunther - Hi, son !!!

JW

Name:  Exterior 3.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  63.9 KB

Name:  Exterior 4.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  55.5 KB

Name:  Oct23^03.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  66.1 KB
Old 02-23-2016, 09:35 PM   #13
dozerbill72

Indiana has the purchase date and issue date on the title. If California does that theres your ownership proof. On a side note that is a sharp truck it's sad your family doesn't have any interest in it.
dozerbill72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:21 PM   #14
davepl

Have you been following the recent expose on Wounded Warrior Project? Only about HALF (under 60%) of what they raise actually goes to veterans services. It was on 60 Minutes, CBS News, all over. So I cancelled mine and switched to a different charity that is more about veterans and less about staff parties.

A couple alternatives are below for your consideration.

* The Fisher House Foundation spent 91 percent of its money on services. It brought in about $55 million in revenue in 2014.

* The Injured Marine Semper Fi Fund spent 92.7 percent of its money on its services. It brought in about $21.5 million in revenue in 2014.

* The Special Operations Warrior Foundation spent 88.8 percent of its money on services. It brought in $14.4 million in revenue in 2014.

* The Disabled American Veterans organization spent 96.5 percent of its money on services. It brought in $8.1 million in revenue in 2014.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:42 PM   #15
tommys72

Yea, getting away from the original post...wounded warriors project is a joke. Just fattening the CEO and other big dogs pockets...

tommys72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:50 PM   #16
special-K
Special Order

Tell the kids aged cheddar is considered to be the better cheddar

Yeah, the sun loves the taste of metallic and silver is all that. The sun eats it right up.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 01:08 AM   #17
mike16

wow what is wrong with kids today

will you adopt me?

back in 92 Cars and Part magazine put out "Catolog of Chevy truck ID numbers 1946 to 1972" isbn 1-880524-02-3.

dont know if you want to start collecting literature at this time.

I think your plan b is very honourable. good on you for that. I almost want to say wait a bit for your kids to come to there senses. but either way its a good deal. cant imagine kids rejecting a nice truck like that. have you ever considered beating them.... maybe with a belt?
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:49 AM   #18
dubds10
Stalker Nate

Great looking truck, but I'd take the one owner premium from an auction company with a grain of salt. I find the whole one owner premium really applies to fully original survivor vehicles in great shape, not rebuilt vehicles. If your truck was an all original survivor truck in mint shape & you're the original owner with all documentation like Protecto-Plate to prove it, then yes the "one owner premium" would apply. At this point I'd just sell it as a resto-mod truck with one owner.

Instagram - TheDonutDiner
FaceBook - @UscreamIscream
dubds10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 04:30 PM   #19
geunther

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubds10 View Post
Great looking truck, but I'd take the one owner premium from an auction company with a grain of salt. I find the whole one owner premium really applies to fully original survivor vehicles in great shape, not rebuilt vehicles. If your truck was an all original survivor truck in mint shape & you're the original owner with all documentation like Protecto-Plate to prove it, then yes the "one owner premium" would apply. At this point I'd just sell it as a resto-mod truck with one owner.
I would tend to agree with you. The phrase "one owner" implies certain things in my mind like everything that you mentioned. That's when any premium that I would pay applies.

I bought a true one owner truck once, sight unseen. It was what I expected it to be. I actually told the guy over the phone there was a typo in the add because the add stated 8600 miles. I assumed it should have been 86,000. When he corrected me and said the 8600 was correct, I said, "Ill take it".
Old 02-24-2016, 11:18 PM   #20
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

My experience is limited compared to a lot of you guys, but I'd think original owner does have some value, and he may not even need to prove it. After all, this gent is donating his truck. The reason is he can provide a full history, and the owner has the satisfaction knowing he's the second owner. I am, and it's kind of nice. Be even better if he can prove it.

On another note, we live fairly close and I never had much in the way of a grandpa. Gramps if you prefer.......I'll be 55 and retired in December, a grandson come lately.

Yes silver is the worst color to maintain. Personally I don't much care for it on anything outside a sports car.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 02-25-2016, 06:36 PM   #21
JW72ChevyTruck

Again, thanks for the reply's.

Yes, I have read about the Wounded Warriors Project CEO's, etc. , very disappointing. There's is another one called Wounded Warriors Program.

If any of you have another idea for a GOOD charity organization to give my truck to, please let me know. I will be sure to check on them. I would prefer to donate to a military program.

I have $26,000 invested in my truck. Have additional parts and a Chevy 1988 TPI injection setup.

I really get irritated when these idiots approach me and offer to buy my truck for $3,500.00. They even stop at my house and sometimes follow me home. I have even placed a sign in my back window, NOT FOR SALE, UNLESS YOU HAVE $18,000 CASH !!!. Doesn't stop the insulting offers.

In the works is a possible opportunity to have a custom car shop, on TV, do what they do, sell the truck at a Barret-Jackson Auction. Truck to be donated to a charity, all I am asking for is a income tax deductible receipt. Sent video tapes, photo's and documentation, received a letter of interest.

71ChevyShortbed402 - You are old enough to be my son, you have just graduated me from Gramps to Pops !!! If I still have my truck, I will be attending the 2016 Hot August Nights in Reno, Nevada.

JW
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2016, 01:36 AM   #22
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Give me a holler if you make it "pops", because I'll be there. Always nice to meet another board member. Unfortunately my truck won't make it. It may see 2017. 2018 for certain.