The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-23-2003, 05:50 AM   #1
RON WOODGEARD
Resident Young Old Dude !

Question Are any of you running electric water pumps on the street?

I was up to Summit a few weeks ago and seen a couple of electric water pumps intended for street use, I forget the names right now, but they look good and one imparticular pushed a very reasonable amount of water. It cost in the $250.00 range. It would really clean up the front of the engine. nothing but a belt for the alternator and power steering pump.

Any experience with them??

Ron
RON WOODGEARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 09:04 AM   #2
bigjimzlll

No experience..just a thought..The OEM pumps work so well, and the after market ones work even better. If you are going to put 10k miles a year on your truck, I wouldn't go electric. If it fails...and you dont catch it in time..ouch.. The main advantage to an electric pumps is to be able to cool it down between passes. It will save a small amount of HP..but the alternator will work more..using a little more HP too. When I looked into going electric, I would of had to relocate the alternator to a bottom mount

click the clicky to join the site....
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

67 lwb..first hotrod in 25 years..540 best ET is 9.45 @ 141.44
Anderson,CA
bigjimzlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 11:32 AM   #3
miket

I have a CSI on my Chevelle...it pumps quite a bit of water...I think it advertises 40-50gpm. I drive my Chevelle on the street...it does not stay cool...I have done a little research, called griffin (who makes my radiator), called CSI, called summit, Called flexalite...they all (except CSI) said it's the water pump...this was 6 months ago....they said noone makes an electric that can pump enough water. Just my 2 cents.

they look cool.....and they do sterilize the engine compartment a bit.

Evergreen Protective Coatings
Gatorhyde...the best kept secret in spray in bed lining & protection
miket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 12:10 PM   #4
RON WOODGEARD

Quote:
Originally posted by miket
I have a CSI on my Chevelle...it pumps quite a bit of water...I think it advertises 40-50gpm. I drive my Chevelle on the street...it does not stay cool...I have done a little research, called griffin (who makes my radiator), called CSI, called summit, Called flexalite...they all (except CSI) said it's the water pump...this was 6 months ago....they said noone makes an electric that can pump enough water. Just my 2 cents.

they look cool.....and they do sterilize the engine compartment a bit.

CSI, is the one I was looking at, It pumps 37 G.P.M. but if it's not enough, I guess this answered my question.

I was going to hit Summit for a few things today or tomorrow. Thanks, you saved me $259.00 + Tax, and a few headaches.

$259.95

Vendor: CSI Performance Products
Product Line: CSI Billet Aluminum Electric Water Pumps
Material: Aluminum
Finish: Anodized Clear
Height: 6 in.

Maximum cooling for maximum performance

Chevrolet: 283, 350, and 400, anodized clear, electric, street/strip, water pump

Generating an incredible 37 gallons per minute of coolant circulation, this CSI electric pump gives you the flow you need without costing you horsepower. CNC-machined from T-6 aluminum, the lightweight (5 1/2 lbs.) pump has a direct drive 12V motor spinning a redesigned impeller on a stainless steel shaft. A CSI pump draws just 5.8 amps, and because it doesn't run off of your crank, it won't eat up race-winning horsepower. Other features include a corrosion resistant finish, superior RFI-suppression, and removable center section for cam adjustment or replacement. Accepts a 3/4 in. NPT water inlet (not included).

Ron
Old 09-23-2003, 12:18 PM   #5
miket

Ron,

I see alot of cars (street cars) in magazines with electric pumps....these things are really designed for drag racing.
Here is a pic of mine....
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2003, 12:33 PM   #6
RON WOODGEARD

Mike,

Exceptionally nice, and mean looking, and tire wearing, and neck snapping,,

Do you have a Tilt front end pull off, or what?

Ron
Old 09-23-2003, 12:35 PM   #7
miket

Fiberglass hood, bumpers, and trunk lid.

Just a play toy...to tease the imports with.

Old 09-23-2003, 12:37 PM   #8
RON WOODGEARD

Quote:
Originally posted by miket
Fiberglass hood, bumpers, and trunk lid.

Just a play toy...to tease the imports with.

Your alternator sees more torque then their whole motor !!!!
Old 09-23-2003, 03:40 PM   #9
lukecp
Formerly yellow72custom

I know a guy running a electric water pump and electric fan on a daily driven '80 Chevy C10. I questioned that at first, but the guy recently graduated from Wyo Tech, and really knows his stuff. He said that it made the truck run alot better, and reccomended that i get one for my truck. I dunno about the electric water pump, but i will look into getting a electric fan setup one of these days.

One thing to keep in mind, the electric water pump and fan draw alot of power. Proably a good idea to upgrade to a bigger alternator at the same time.
lukecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 04:52 PM   #10
miket

I run a 63 amp on the Chevelle...it barely runs everything....fans, water pump and Barry Grant fuel Pump...I would say 100amp....thats what I had in my 71....pic below with fan setup...

I would really like to run an electric on the street...just alot of money to find it may not work.
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2003, 06:25 PM   #11
Jesse 67 c-10

Does anyone know flow #s for a stock or aftermarket crank driven water pump? 37 gpm is a lot! think 7 5-gallon pails of water in under a min. The coolant has to have time to cool off in the rad otherwise it goes back hot. Something to think about,
Jesse

1993 Dihatsu Hijet Jumbo cab 4x4, currently converting to battery electric power.
Jesse 67 c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 11:12 PM   #12
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I think I read that a stock belt driven unit is something like 50 GPM. But I may well be way off.

In Car Craft, they did an article on this a coupl;e years ago. The OEM manufacturers say that when cars go to a 32 volt system ( ) that THEN they can make a streetable electric water pump.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote