The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-25-2016, 12:39 AM   #1
WTF?

71 c10 "Dip****" LWB BBC Bags....

Well, started on the truck. I planned on doing this a year ago, but other projects and such.....you guys know how it is.
Truck is a factory Big Block 402 1/2 ton, A/C, and it looks like all options. 5 lugs, and disc brakes. I had intended to Lsx swap it, slap a Procharger on it, and so forth.....but dang it..I just couldn't do it. So I ordered up a Complete Edelbrock Performer RPM kit , and a 496 rotating assembly. Have all the parts, and a 454 block. Block needs machining, then I will assemble it. Also have a t56 I might slap in it leftover from an rx7 Lt1 I built a few years ago. Dunno yet.
But, fist things first. I swapped the points for an EBAY Hei, put a New Carb on it. Plugs fluids and the like.....Prime the oil and she fired up and ran descetly smooth. Previous owner said it had been rebuilt, I believe him. I was happy....Here she is..

WTF? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 12:56 AM   #2
WTF?

Re: 71 c10 "Dip****" LWB BBC Bags....

Truck is getting bagged, and cleaned up and that's about it for a little while, unless the engine gives up. It's still an unknown as of now. I want to get it up and running, make sure A/C and everything works good before pulling engine and swapping in the other. I've already made the bag cups and the rear lowering blocks, have to make a C notch brace and use my plasma cutter to cut the frame. I've never done it before, but I've researched this forum and found a lot of good information, Thanks Guys. Making the cups...

I've made the fronts and the rears....Fronts are 2 inches, but from what I've read, they may need to be cut down some more. I'm not sure I will use them on the rear, but I was working so I made them anyways, just in case.

Ordered my Heim joints from McMasterCarr for my adjustable bar, should be easy to make it looks like. Again...looking at others on the forum.
Once aired out, I want it low....as low as I can without purchasing subframes and such. Bags, spindles, and blocks for sure....

If anybody has a part number for some shorter shocks, I'd appreciate it, otherwise I will research here and try to find some dimensions for shock extenders and build some of those too...LOL I'm a pirate..

Thanks for looking, any advice would be appreciated. I am going to use hydraulic hose and fittings for the lines also, no push-to-connect.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:10 PM   #3
tommys72

Nice truck there!

tommys72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:22 PM   #4
WTF?

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Got more work done today. Not a lot, but some. Had to take a cut off wheel and my 4 inch grinder, and cut the welds on the rear bumper. It had been stick welded on, and looked like Poo. Took a while to cut it and make it look descent. Also noticed I may as well replace the cab and core support bushings.

I've searched and the easiest is to just order some Prothane it looks, but would prefer some rubber. Got to find them.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:50 PM   #5
kingNothing

Very good looking truck as is. I love the original look,could make for a nice sleeper

Lucas Jackson
kingNothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 01:03 PM   #6
WTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingNothing View Post
Very good looking truck as is. I love the original look,could make for a nice sleeper
Thanks, I'm not really looking to build a race truck, I just already had most of the BBC stuff laying around from other builds. Even the Edelbrock Package I already had. And, it's like 150 bucks more to build a 496 as it is a 454, so.....LOL

I got more work done on the truck yesterday. Made my upper plates for the front bags. Pretty easy actually.

In the last pic, you can see how I used the clamps to contour the plate to the truck. Well, that plate is ever so slightly bent, do you till just bolt the bags to it even though it's not completely flat?

Also, for anybody looking to make their own cups, I made mine out of 5.5 as that is what I found on the forum for dimensions. They are a little too big. I think 5.25 is the right size. I will have to turn mine down a little in the lathe.

And, anybody ever use hydraulic hose and fitting for the air lines. I do a lot of hydraulic work, and to me it just makes sense...LOL Good idea?
Old 02-27-2016, 02:59 PM   #7
riddinlow99

bag plates look good better than spending a 100 on them. As for mounting the bag just make sure that they are on the flat part so you don't ruin your bags
riddinlow99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 01:31 AM   #8
WTF?

Thank You, I got them in today. Just came in from outside working. The bags lined up on the front part before the bend, so it worked out ok.

I can't decide what spindles to buy. Any recommendations? Of course, I want it low as possible. I won't drive it that low, but I want it to sit down when I'm parked. I'm guessing 3 inches.
Old 02-29-2016, 09:51 PM   #9
WTF?

Guys, I have a question. I want to drop the truck low when parked. I will be running my 15 inch rallys until I find a deal on something. Will there be a problem with 3" dropped spindles? I am ready to buy now, but am conflicted. Thanks
Old 02-29-2016, 11:02 PM   #10
WTF?

Tough crowd.
Old 03-01-2016, 12:19 AM   #11
68bowtie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF? View Post
Tough crowd.
you have to wait more than an hour for someone to see your question that knows the answer. i usually have more luck posting questions in the main forum.

Survivor "Lil’ Mint" (67 c10 40k mile light green original paint)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh) SOLD
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh) SOLD
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 01:02 AM   #12
71Sleeper

I can't say about the 3" drop spindles but I am running 2.5" with 7" wide stock rally wheels with no problem.
71Sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:29 AM   #13
WTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Sleeper View Post
I can't say about the 3" drop spindles but I am running 2.5" with 7" wide stock rally wheels with no problem.
Thank You for that. I have 8 inch Ralleys, and ordered the 2.5 spindles as seeing that's what most of you guys are running. I am getting anxious to be rolling...Lol
Old 05-17-2016, 09:14 PM   #14
WTF?

Been a while since I updated. Got a little sidetracked on another project. Bags are done, but the truck sits on the tires in the front. I'm trying to decide what to do with the wheel wells. I didn't want to cut the bed, so I might raise the floor next. In the pic it's aired out, sitting on tires in front, and sitting on bump stops I made in the rear.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:45 PM   #15
mooseknuckles

that's looks great right there!
mooseknuckles is offline   Reply With Quote