The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-25-2016, 01:13 PM   #1
Tiger Joe

looking to upgrade my 67 rear suspension

Well I've finally decided to upgrade my rear suspension. When I had the bed off my truck 2 years ago, I didn't like the way the trailing arms looked. They were ok, but 40 years in PA had taken its toll on them. I like to upgrade whenever possible, so looking into aftermarket replacements.

So I've decided I think I want to upgrade to the CPP tubular setup. Now my truck is already lowered, so I don't need the entire kit to lower my truck, really just new trailing arms.

I had already modified my stock crossmember for my dual exhaust, so is there any benefit to swapping out for their crossmember also? Obviously while I have the trailing arms off would be the time to swap them out.

Is there any benefit to doing the crossmember + trailing arms vs just the arms?

Any issues with these tubular arms, really doesn't seem to be much info out about people running them
Tiger Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 05:27 PM   #2
kehstr

Re: looking to upgrade my 67 rear suspension

the crossmember helps keep the trailing arm at more stock angle, helps with the suspension functioning
kehstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 07:19 PM   #3
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Joe View Post
Well I've finally decided to upgrade my rear suspension. When I had the bed off my truck 2 years ago, I didn't like the way the trailing arms looked. They were ok, but 40 years in PA had taken its toll on them. I like to upgrade whenever possible, so looking into aftermarket replacements.

So I've decided I think I want to upgrade to the CPP tubular setup. Now my truck is already lowered, so I don't need the entire kit to lower my truck, really just new trailing arms.

I had already modified my stock crossmember for my dual exhaust, so is there any benefit to swapping out for their crossmember also? Obviously while I have the trailing arms off would be the time to swap them out.

Is there any benefit to doing the crossmember + trailing arms vs just the arms?

Any issues with these tubular arms, really doesn't seem to be much info out about people running them
Factory TA's are I-beam/2 c-channel construction & utilize rubber/sleeve style bushings. The construction, bushing type, & length allow for twist (flex).

The CPP arms are tube style construction & use poly bushings (like most aftermarket). They don't allow for the factory flex. The increased rigidity & harder bushing will bind sooner than a factory arm would.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:02 PM   #4
Longhornss

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Factory TA's are I-beam/2 c-channel construction & utilize rubber/sleeve style bushings. The construction, bushing type, & length allow for twist (flex).

The CPP arms are tube style construction & use poly bushings (like most aftermarket). They don't allow for the factory flex. The increased rigidity & harder bushing will bind sooner than a factory arm would.
There we go that is the answer that should be considered every time.
Everyone wants to upgrade to Polly and tubular control arms, trailing arms or truck arms but it is not often considered how all that "stiffening" will effect other components. Such as where these components are mounted to.

Do you need to upgrade the crossmember..... No probably not but I would consider it, as the kit is designed to work with their arms and may be more substantial, and may do a better job of handleing the stresses induced by the new stiffer arms.

You could also consider a factory replacement style arm that are being re popped now. Or maybe an arm with more articulation in the busing like The Porter Built trailing arms with the spherical Polly joint.

Just some things to consider.
Longhornss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 03:58 PM   #5
Tiger Joe

I was trying to look into the porterbuilt stuff, but I don't even see the trailing arms listed on their site anymore.
Old 02-26-2016, 04:49 PM   #6
SCOTI

Quote:
I was trying to look into the porterbuilt stuff, but I don't even see the trailing arms listed on their site anymore.
They still make & sell them. Their crossmember is a better bang for the buck as well since it allows you to tweak wheelbase & pinion angle.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 02-26-2016, 07:24 PM   #7
Longhornss

Give them a call they will get you set up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-26-2016, 08:06 PM   #8
Tiger Joe

Maybe I will. I definitely think they make some sweet stuff. I thought they catered more toward the air bagged crowd. Didn't know they had "stock replacement" arms
Old 02-27-2016, 09:06 AM   #9
Longhornss

I am actually not sure they do make direct replacement arms for original springs but it never hurts to ask.

I can say for sure they do build a great product, I have their stage 3 front and rear systems.
Old 02-27-2016, 09:13 AM   #10
andrewmp6

Or talk to Travis at http://www.azproperformance.com/home.php hes a porterbuilt vendor and a vendor on here.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 09:53 PM   #11
Tiger Joe

Isn't the Porterbuilt stuff like a 3 month wait?
Old 02-28-2016, 12:45 AM   #12
Robznob11

The aftermarket x member is flat on bottom and laser cut and bent. It's sturdier than stamped steel and more ground clearance . also most flip the bracket for a pinion angle correction. What most people don't know is that this also gives an anti squat effect. In other words it changes your ic and makes your truck hook up instead of blowing the tires off real easy. If I had it to do again I would have got the ece member over the cpp. The reason being their ta mounts bolt on and can be moved if you would like. The cpp are flipped but welded and cannot be changed. I don't think the ece is flipped but they can be .
,,,,,,,/__(⊙)___//___/__(O)_/

@disciple2.rc 💪instagram💪
LED TAILS
Robznob11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 09:21 AM   #13
Tiger Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robznob11 View Post
The aftermarket x member is flat on bottom and laser cut and bent. It's sturdier than stamped steel and more ground clearance . also most flip the bracket for a pinion angle correction. What most people don't know is that this also gives an anti squat effect. In other words it changes your ic and makes your truck hook up instead of blowing the tires off real easy. If I had it to do again I would have got the ece member over the cpp. The reason being their ta mounts bolt on and can be moved if you would like. The cpp are flipped but welded and cannot be changed. I don't think the ece is flipped but they can be .
My truck has a 2 piece driveshaft so I need a crossmember with the mount. I think ECE is only for 1 piece shafts.

You have the CCP stuff? Any issues with it?
Old 02-28-2016, 04:29 PM   #14
SCOTI

Quote:
My truck has a 2 piece driveshaft so I need a crossmember with the mount. I think ECE is only for 1 piece shafts.

You have the CCP stuff? Any issues with it?
Porterbuilts accommodate both 2pr & 1pc drivelines.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 02-28-2016, 08:30 PM   #15
BigMike

I just installed a CPP trailing arm crossmember. It seems beefier than the stock one and allows for exhaust pass through. Also, they flipped the trailing arm mounting tab to allow for a better pinion angle. It does not allow for adjustable mounting options like PB does, but works great. I would also consider going with a longer trac bar/panhard bar. It gives you much less side to side compared to a stock one, especially when you're slammed. I went with CPP's bent arm to allow for by finned aluminum diff cover. No one will ever see it because my truck sits so low...but I know it's there...lol.

PB makes the best components hands down. And if I could afford it I would replace everything I have with PB products. But the plain truth is I can't afford them, so to me CPP was the next best alternative.
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 12:30 PM   #16
Tiger Joe

So I don't like to leave threads hanging so wanted to update everyone.

I ended up getting all the suspension from CPP. Installed the following:

Tubular Trailing arms with crossmember
panhard bar with the bend for rear diff
shock relocators.

overall I am pleased with everything. my only compaints were the tubular trailing arms have too thick of a tab for the parking brake cables, so you cant put the retainer clip back in. and the panhard bar- the bracket that goes on the trailing arm was too close to allow you to use a socket, had to use two open end wrenches. The main reason for not going with pbfab was 1- the wait, 4-6 weeks just for arms, and 2- they were not a direct bolt in for stock. they had a 1" lowering block built it, and have to use their shock mounts. shocks weren't a deal breaker, but right now I didn't want to go any lower than I already am.

I'll grab some pics tonight if I remember. I'm waiting for my new 5 speed trans to arrive before I can drive the setup. going to see if I can go to a 1 piece driveshaft instead of the two.

After this, I'm thinking about doing a shortbed conversion in the near future too.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:47 PM   #17
Tiger Joe

First pic outta the garage with the new setup.