The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-27-2016, 01:31 AM   #1
Mrturner1

Trying my hand at custom dash, pointers please

Hey guys, I'm thinking about a custom dash that holds 2 or 3 autometer gauges. I'd like to mount my trans temp, oil pressure and water temp in the holes, and put the holes to the left of the steering wheel.

Here's the thing, I've never done anything like this before and I don't even know what materials to use. I have my dash to work with, and the gauges, and a willing spirit lol. What kind of material do you guys use? Fiberglass? Spray on or paint on? What can I use to make the cups for mounting the gauges? And what do I use for smoothing it out before paint?

I appreciate any help and pictures I can get

Matt
Mrturner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 01:32 AM   #2
Mrturner1

Re: Trying my hand at custom dash, pointers please

Kinda like this
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2016, 02:13 AM   #3
toolboxchev

I used a large piece of U shaped aluminum. It is not fancy right now, but functional.

I can polish it in the future to meet those needs.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 02:38 AM   #4
F.A.A.benny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrturner1 View Post
Kinda like this
To try and achieve that look, I would probably use steel tubing and tig weld it
F.A.A.benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 07:29 AM   #5
Grumpy old man

The stock dash pad has very little in the way of structure to build off of it's foam injected and it's purpose was to keep your knoggin from getting bashed on the dash in an accident (more so for the passengers ) you have to remember these trucks were built 67-72 in the time of increasing safety concerns and progressed from lap belts ,gasketed windshields ,folding forward seats and no side marker lights to 73 when all those things were changed along with the heavier padded dashes (people were getting launched THRU the windshield in an accident ) Sit in your seat and put on your lap belt ,lean forward and back and you'll see why shoulder belts were installed . All that being said undertaking a "safe" custom dash is no small endeavor when you have to consider on these trucks you have to design it and still not get scalped from the substructure in a crash . Your dealing with 50 year old technology . consider an A pillar gauge pod to mount your gauges or retro fitting a stock gauge panel or just buy the "Just dashes" gauge dash pad for $369.00 I'm using one on my restomod build . You'll need considerable sheet metal experience / tools and upholstery skills to get the job done correctly and have something that looks good and yet not increase your injuries in a crash . Look at todays cars you get in a crash at 70 mph and with auto seat belts and airbags most generally walk away , If you get in a crash in one of these trucks at 70 mph your going to be lucky to be alive .

And you also have to consider in today's litigious society whether or not your insurance company would even cover your injuries once you've "removed " the stock dash .

It's great to be young and indestructible but fiberglass and sheet metal dashes may look really cool on show cars and in magazines they just don't work in a daily driver .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop

Last edited by Grumpy old man; 02-27-2016 at 07:42 AM.
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 08:36 AM   #6
hugger6933

Gom [as always] has great points. I just wanted to add and much to the dismay of others here, when people say "They don't build them like they used to" I say I'm glad they don't. Cars and trucks today are made more in mind of what will happen to end their life cycle while trying not to end yours. While we all love the style they had back then they did lack major safety concerns that are built in every one off the line today.
I know that doesn't help you on your dash, just saying what came to my mind. Give me a break it is still a little early and I woke up late.
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 08:43 AM   #7
cooperhw

You might want to look on evilbay t intellitronix "build a dash" gauges. Less than 200 bucks you can get a complete kit. they call em "refurbished" but my buddy just bought one for his kids truck. Evidently they were returned for whatever reason and fixed, but you cant see even one piece that shows any use. Anyhow, you mount these gauges anywhere you want on a piece of plexiglass and it mounts behind our stock guage panel. Pretty cool.
I am going to use a "universal kit" that looks like it comes pre-wired to a panel on my 72 El Camino I am building.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 02:16 PM   #8
Fatherflash

Grumpy old man is exactly right (again) on what he says. If you are heart set on a custom dash, I would recommend you do everything you can, particularly forward of the middle seat location, and ensure you have a clear, relatively soft path forward in case of an accident. I can picture in my head the pods you show scalping someone in an accident.

Please do not think that a composite dash (fiberglass, composite cloth) is softer or easier to work with when compared to steel or other metals. If built properly, they are stronger and lighter than steel however, they do introduce splintering to the accident scenario. There are not many things more painful than pulling composite splinters out of your skin. If you are still considering composite, there is a lot to manufacturing composites which needs to be considered prior to any type of build. Everything from release agents, molds, cookoff, fiber type, resin type, oxidation, bleeder schedule, etc. must be considered when working with composites if you want it to last. Since it would be near people in a confined space, you would need to also consider breakaway force (designing the composite to fail a certain way in an accident), off gassing, (composite can stink when heat cycled and it may not be always good for people). It is messy, stinky, and requires a well thought out plan before beginning any type of build. If you are still considering composite or fiberglass, let me know and I can share some more wisdom. I work with the stuff everyday. I will tell you this though: I considered building a composite dash for my 72 and then got smart.
Old 02-27-2016, 02:42 PM   #9
Mrturner1

Well, I certainly didn't consider all of those things but I can see why it's such a safety issue. I suppose saving up for the "just dashes" one would be smarter. I had a 3 gauge A-pillar pod in my Mustang, but I haven't seen them for our trucks. Have you guys bought an a pillar pod for our trucks?
Old 02-27-2016, 08:18 PM   #10
franken

Drifting off topic, but consider getting a 3 point belt system, since the mount is there over the shoulder...
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 10:40 PM   #11
mikecaddy500

Try using pvc pipe. Fit the gauges and epoxy them to your dash. Cover or paint them.
mikecaddy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 11:31 PM   #12
Mrturner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by franken View Post
Drifting off topic, but consider getting a 3 point belt system, since the mount is there over the shoulder...
This is a fantastic idea. I'm sure I could figure it out but a point in the right direction would save me some time. I was telling my fiancé about 3 point harnesses and she lit up. ALSO, if I did that I could put my 2 year old sons car seat in and he could go for rides. Man, thanks for the great idea!

Matt
Old 02-27-2016, 11:47 PM   #13
swamp rat

Something not mentioned is fiberglass, just like the custom auto sound guys do for speaker pods, the mold could be done on an A pillar or on the dash just forward of the pad, installed with (2) 8-32 screws, the dash would be way easier than casting a mold on the A pillar. I'm sure there is a lot of How to articles on Google.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 12:17 AM   #14
Robznob11

Well your best bet is exhaust pipe and flat sheet metal both cheap and easy to get. A tig is good a gas mig will work tho. And then finish it with good filler and paint. On option not mentioned is finding a cool old dash out of a good junk yard find. I transplanted a 61 c10 dash I picked up out of a junk 2ton truck for 20$. I am also going to run the intellotronix gauges universal. I picked them up off of eBay for cheap, like mentioned said referbished but look brand new. The cool part is that they are compatible with my ls swap and new style fuel sender etc. I could only find this pic of when I just put it in.
Attached Images

,,,,,,,/__(⊙)___//___/__(O)_/

@disciple2.rc 💪instagram💪
LED TAILS
Robznob11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 12:24 AM   #15
Robznob11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robznob11 View Post
Well your best bet is exhaust pipe and flat sheet metal both cheap and easy to get. A tig is good a gas mig will work tho. And then finish it with good filler and paint. On option not mentioned is finding a cool old dash out of a good junk yard find. I transplanted a 61 c10 dash I picked up out of a junk 2ton truck for 20$. I am also going to run the intellotronix gauges universal. I picked them up off of eBay for cheap, like mentioned said referbished but look brand new. The cool part is that they are compatible with my ls swap and new style fuel sender etc. I could only find this pic of when I just put it in.
Lol if it was a 2 ton it wasn't c10.... Lol but it's the same dash jkjkjk. There are some cooler dashes to be found... This one only took capping the ends and two small filler pieces by the ends of the windshield. I also smoothed the ashtray and controls in the center. I plan to stretch vinyl over mine.
,,,,,,,/__(⊙)___//___/__(O)_/

@disciple2.rc 💪instagram💪
LED TAILS
Robznob11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 12:31 AM   #16
snipescastle2

Talking Re: Trying my hand at custom dash, pointers please

Or, you could do what I did...put a new spin on the tried and trusted stock gauges.....I got a few friends at my work to make me a cad file of the dash layout and had some "Drum Wrap" laser cut for an exact fit over the gauge bezel,definetly a new look.
Ben
Attached Images

snipescastle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 01:56 AM   #17
tsetsaf

Regarding gauges I went with Dakota Digital. Replaces the stock units and they have a ton of modules to work with. I did this for the same reason mentioned already... safety (applause to those that brought it up). I also added the three point harness and reinforced the floor where the seat mounts. Finally I used late model seats with headrests to protect the back of the noggin.