The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-23-2003, 01:16 PM   #1
cheyenne10

Ebay Bidders/sellers

Can someone explain to me why I some of the aucitons that seem to run high on price have several bidders with 0,1, etc feedback instead of those with more?

Are sellers being duped by phony bidders or are they bidding their own stuff up or ??

I've seen a couple of auctions mentioned on here that fit this description.
Old 09-23-2003, 01:24 PM   #2
Joe67
67 is sold

I think the % of fraudlant bids is pretty low.

Sure a seller can have a buddy bid up their items, but I think most of the ending high bids are valid. Then again I'm an optimist with years of ebay experience

gr8lakes - My ebay auctions

Click here to order forum apparel :: Click here to become a subscribing member
Joe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 01:45 PM   #3
1972chevy4x4

I have had problems with individuals with low feedback bidding up to just find the reserve prices and then once they won the auctions are never heard from again. This has happened to me on six auctions related to our trucks and/or parts for our trucks, so I have included lately in my auctions that I will cancel bids by zero or one feedback without first email contact. Hope this does'nt pull you away from ebay auctions but makes you aware there are some out there who are just playing around.
Always in need of 67-72 parts in central ks.
1972chevy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 01:46 PM   #4
StingRay

I too have notice that and am also of the opinion that people are are fraudlently bidding the price up. I won't bid on that kind of auction but if an individual already has a proxy bid in others can keep bumping his final price up as long as it is not exceeded.
Old 09-23-2003, 02:00 PM   #5
palallin

There is also the fact that low numbers sometimes indicate newbies who are less well versed in the prices they have to pay.

Last edited by palallin; 09-23-2003 at 03:51 PM.
palallin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 02:33 PM   #6
Slammed67
Progress = 0%

Yep! Newbies will keep bidding to remain the high bidder throughout the auction. This makes no sense as they are just raising the price that THEY will have to pay for the item. Either bid your highest price (once) and walk away or if you are determined to win an auction, bid at the last minute.
Old 09-23-2003, 02:35 PM   #7
Joe67
67 is sold

Quote:
Originally posted by Slammed67
Yep! Newbies will keep bidding to remain the high bidder throughout the auction. This makes no sense as they are just raising the price that THEY will have to pay for the item. Either bid your highest price (once) and walk away or if you are determined to win an auction, bid at the last minute.
Huh? They only bid higher when someone else outbids them...

Best bet is to put a max bid out there, the most you'll pay for an item and let it ride. If it gets 'sniped' at the last minute, it was more then you wanted to really pay anyway

Old 09-23-2003, 02:42 PM   #8
Slammed67
Progress = 0%

Quote:
Huh? They only bid higher when someone else outbids them...
Exactly! Why get in a bidding war if you don't need to??? If you and one other person are bidding back and forth, it's going to drive the price up. Why not wait until the last minute and start bidding? Unless the other guy is watching the auction closely, he won't have a chance to counter your bid(s).
Old 09-23-2003, 02:45 PM   #9
Joe67
67 is sold

Quote:
Originally posted by Slammed67

Exactly! Why get in a bidding war if you don't need to??? If you and one other person are bidding back and forth, it's going to drive the price up. Why not wait until the last minute and start bidding? Unless the other guy is watching the auction closely, he won't have a chance to counter your bid(s).
Gotcha.
That would work for people who will be at a computer when the auction ends. Sniping can be fun if you do it right

More often than not, there are others interested and bidding gets interesting.

Old 09-23-2003, 03:07 PM   #10
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

A lot of it falls under "auction fever". Someone new to the process gets to bidding on something and doesn't have the common sense to know when to stop. I've even done it once, and when I wrote the check it was, why the hey did I do that?

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 03:45 PM   #11
boraxman
Keepin an eye out

There are sites that will snipe for you...do a search.
ZIP 91351
boraxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 03:53 PM   #12
StingRay

If you look at the kinds of auctions he is talking about it looks suspiciously like their buddies are fraudlently pushing up the price so the final price is higher. The people that used proxy bids and bid the amount they were "willing" to pay may have gotten it for substantially less if the price wasn't pushed up. If the buddy exceeds the max bid the seller can cry non paying bidder and the 0 feed back buddy has nothing to lose. The seller can re-list or offer it up to the next highest bidder through E-bay at no cost. It is very easy to scam or be scammed on e-bay........ and E-bay doesn't give a $hit. Sometimes there are newbies but when two or three bidders with 0 or 1 feedback are bumping the price it looks real suspicious

Last edited by StingRay; 09-23-2003 at 08:32 PM.
StingRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 05:24 PM   #13
sameyrasmea72

Quote:
Originally posted by StingRay
If you look at the kinds of auctions he us talking about it looks suspiciously like their buddies are fraudlently pushing up the price so the final price is higher. The people that used proxy bids and bid the amount they were "willing" to pay may have gotten it for substantially less if the price wasn't pushed up. If the buddy exceeds the max bid the seller can cry non paying bidder and the 0 feed back buddy has nothing to lose. The seller can re-list or offer it up to the next highest bidder through E-bay at no cost. It is very easy to scam or be scammed on e-bay........ and E-bay doesn't give a $hit. Sometimes there are newbies but when two or three bidders with 0 or 1 feedback are bumping the price it looks real suspicious
Possible. But not case with the two zero's(not my buddies, but I can't tell you what they ARE) that won my last two auctions (same item I might add).Sorry for the upcoming rant Bob, but you did link me ...lol

In my opinion ebay is a pretty good place to buy something. If you get taken for as a buyer, its your own fault. I mean do your homework.I know there are exceptions, like when the seller is an arrr--tist at ripping people off,but it is the selling that difficult,because you have less control.The next car I have a to sell, I would rather push it off a cliff the try ebay And i know there some precations like bid restrictions and cancellations, but sometimes that dont work.I Guess i am not used to being raked over the coals. It kinda reminds me of the Duke line,
"I WON'T BE WRONGED I WON'T BE INSULTED AND I WON'T BE LAYED A HAND ON, I DON'T DO THESE THING TO OTHERS AND I REQUIRE THE SAME FROM THEM" .
Bad thing is I can't just shoot the guy(s), Can I ??? I am not a newbie to ebay, just a small timer. 20 trans. over several years,+feedback 100% , not bragging, just making a point.
The first guy uses the "buy it now" option and stoppes the auction right when it was about to good. Way after payment due, I finally get this " no I don't want the truck I made a mistake."Mistake my ass. It's not you hit the "buy it now" button and boom you win. You had to fill in something. The 2nd guy I think had some good intentions, but good intentions are like......Whatever that old saying is. He asked ?'s recieved extra pics, tried to buy it out right,but nada after he won.

Something fishy about the 2nd one, and I may be paranoid at this point, but switch a few letters in the u-name,looks kinda familiar around. Probably nothing but I just looking for answers somewhere.
+he changed email adresses on me

Last edited by sameyrasmea72; 09-23-2003 at 06:41 PM.
sameyrasmea72 is offline   Reply With Quote