The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-01-2016, 07:24 PM   #1
joeydirt

Ebay IFS Experiences

While shopping for an IFS I noticed ebay has a some kits with decent prices. I know that cheaper is not always better though. Has anyone purchased one of these kits? If so what seller was it and what are you thoughts?
joeydirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:29 PM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: Ebay IFS Experiences

My advice to you is that if your not familiar with installing IFS buy it from a company that is and one that will talk you through any issues. Cheap price always means cheap support or no support. There are many vendors here that sell good kits and know how to install them
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:08 PM   #3
58SkuzBukit

If you search helix or Hoffman group on here you probably won't see many positive comments, here's my personal experience.

I'm about finished installing an IFS kit which I purchased through eBay. It's a helix kit from Johnny law motors. Physically, the kit was fine, I saw no issues other than budget ball joints and shocks, which I'll replace once they wear out.

Support wise, experience could use a bit of work. They sent me the wrong rotors, which I had to cover the close of shipping back. They did send the correct rotor FOC. THERE INSTRUCTIONS SUCK!!!! I played hell interpreting them, measuring, etc. I called, and the tech told me to sub every 1&7/8" measurement with 1&9/16. I was on a roll after that.

Many main components were on back order, which was not conveyed to me at the time of purchase (hence the reason I'm still no done). All I need are upper bag mounts, which I'm about to make myself and cancel that part of the order for a refund.

Other than that it's been ok so far. I'm also on a budget, and know that some purchase options and choice luxuries need skipped when stretching the dollar.
58SkuzBukit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 12:57 PM   #4
Hampshire

Quote:
My advice to you is that if your not familiar with installing IFS buy it from a company that is and one that will talk you through any issues. Cheap price always means cheap support or no support. There are many vendors here that sell good kits and know how to install them
BIG Ditto on the above - it's the best advice you can get.

This viral thread from a few years back on Hoffman, Helix, Johnny Law - says a lot.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/t...panies.650004/
Hampshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 01:53 PM   #5
Russell Ashley

Quality isn't cheap. If you purchase a suspension from Scotts and have a question you can call and speak with the owners, Justin or Jeff. There are a few others where the owner will answer your questions and/or address your complaints. They usually cost more but worth it IMO as my suspension is not something I want to go cheap on. My experience is only with Scotts and I have never heard any complaints about Scotts products.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 02:05 PM   #6
Indian113

The problem with a Cheap or Poorly made IFS is it affects not only you BUT everybody on the road with YOU!
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:02 PM   #7
joeydirt

I was pretty sure these would be the responses I would get just needed to confirm. Thanks guys Ill probably be getting one from total cost involved.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:27 PM   #8
mr48chev

This is a Helix crossmember that I bought from Welder Joe on Ebay (back door outlet for Hoffman group) about 3 years ago when in a fit of some bonus money burning a hole in my pocket I ordered it and a set of A arms.

I haven't touched it except to move it around from spot to spot but you can see the suspect work and flaws.

My son said he would reweld it when the time came but it's not good to pay real money and get something that poorly made.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:01 PM   #9
58SkuzBukit

The welds on mine weren't ground at all and look decent enough. Those "welds" on the lower A arm tubes are horrendous.
58SkuzBukit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 02:34 AM   #10
vics stuff

I agree with 58SkuzBukit. Bought a kit from Johnny Law Motors , It took 4 months to get all the parts after I had to get on them about some $$$ on back order . I am installing a ifs kit in a 32 ford coupe by Heidts and it is real nice but real expensive. All their parts are tig welded and look great. My next IFS kit will be from TCI.
Vic
vics stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 06:38 AM   #11
mphudak

I bought a helix kit to go w/my speedway motors crossmember for my 55.1. A few things i noticed when i first got it and inspected it. I had to send the upper CA's back due to poor welds and some areas where hit w/a grinder to make them look better. Took a couple months to get replacements due to back order (thru welder joe) and he ended up sending me the ones he had for a personal build (painted silver). Other then that the lower CA needed a little massaging to fit the crossmember, which i could only assume was from distortion during welding (not bad, just minor tweaking to spread the lower control arms). Life has gotten in the way and I'm still building the chassis so I can't talk to the longevity of the parts

All this said, is it high end parts...no not even close. It's a budget minded kit that will function just fine, just have a general understanding of what good welds look like. Which honestly, if you are modding your suspension you should have an idea of. I have replaced the ball joints and plan to replace the coils and shocks. Only reason I'm replacing the coils is a personal issue. After years of building jeeps/rock crawlers I have come to have low expectations of coils that come w/inexpensive kits. In my experience they tend to ride very stiff. My plan is to order a custom set from Eaton, which is roughly $100 plus the ride.

So in the end am I happy, yes. I forget what i paid for the kit but remember it was a smok'n deal. Going in I knew I would replace a few items but even w/the cost of those parts I would still be ahead. Would i do it again, possibly. Now w/other options on the market such as porter built and danforth the decision would be a lot more difficult. Only regret I have is recently deciding to go back w/an original driveline and not keeping the straight axle.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:12 AM   #12
joeydirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphudak View Post
Only regret I have is recently deciding to go back w/an original driveline and not keeping the straight axle.
Why do you wish you had straight axle over IFS?
Old 03-04-2016, 08:31 AM   #13
mphudak

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydirt View Post
Why do you wish you had straight axle over IFS?
I changed plans on the driveline. Originally I was going to drop a 283 or 327 in w/a hydramatic now I've decided to go with a GMC 270. Given that the oil pan on the GMC isn't notched like a SBC it will interfere with the crossmember and looks like the rack/pinion also. Not a huge deal, just more fab work.