The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-04-2016, 07:03 PM   #1
Mrturner1

Autometer tach bounces at idle

My tach bounces from 750 to 3k when at idle, but if I rev it it's fine and if I hold it at and rpm about idle it's fine
Mrturner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 08:44 PM   #2
ray_mcavoy

Re: Autometer tach bounces at idle

It sounds like the tach might be picking up some interference from the ignition system. Start by making sure the tach signal wire is routed as far away from the spark plug wires as possible. Also make sure the wire doesn't have any loose connections. If that doesn't help, you might have to add a filter such as this --> http://www.autometer.com/tach-filter.html
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 08:55 PM   #3
Jonlopes

I had that problem with a HEI distributor when I had the tach wire hooked up with a plain female spade terminal. The problem went away when I spliced in a pigtail with the correct plastic connector.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:36 AM   #4
Mrturner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonlopes View Post
I had that problem with a HEI distributor when I had the tach wire hooked up with a plain female spade terminal. The problem went away when I spliced in a pigtail with the correct plastic connector.
I got one of those plastic deals that snap onto the distributor so I think I'm ok on that part.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:37 AM   #5
Mrturner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_mcavoy View Post
It sounds like the tach might be picking up some interference from the ignition system. Start by making sure the tach signal wire is routed as far away from the spark plug wires as possible. Also make sure the wire doesn't have any loose connections. If that doesn't help, you might have to add a filter such as this --> http://www.autometer.com/tach-filter.html
What if the tach wire is away from spark plugs, but near plug wires? EDIT: just re-read your post lol

Thank you guys for your help, I hope to figure this out soon I'm tuning a freshly rebuilt 350 that I just got done breaking in