The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-05-2016, 03:52 PM   #1
Mr.Hyde

Gauge cluster

Ok this may start sounding like electrical but isn't, I've been struggling with my dash light and getting them working so I pulled the panel half out to do a multimeter test and noticed the lights are actually on.

Now I'm curious is there some sort of gasket or spacer that needs to go in between the "glass" and the metal inside panel? Because it seems like the light is just getting blocked from going through the small slots.

I want to say there are rubber stops because there's two small 1/8 holes by the center empty spot.

Member of tailgate association of manitoba
Mr.Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:47 PM   #2
Coach

Re: Gauge cluster

I struggled with no dash lights for about a year and a half, after buying my truck back in Sept 2014. I replaced the original 194 bulbs with 168 bulbs as well as used fine grain sandpaper to clean the terminals, still no difference. So I took a shot in the dark and bought (4) Super bright LED bulbs to replace the main bulbs in the dash cluster.They have 5 LED's per bulb and are 360 degree bulbs so light bounces in all directions. It was the best $20 I ever spent on my truck!!!
Old 03-05-2016, 09:30 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hyde View Post
Ok this may start sounding like electrical but isn't, I've been struggling with my dash light and getting them working so I pulled the panel half out to do a multimeter test and noticed the lights are actually on.

Now I'm curious is there some sort of gasket or spacer that needs to go in between the "glass" and the metal inside panel? Because it seems like the light is just getting blocked from going through the small slots.

I want to say there are rubber stops because there's two small 1/8 holes by the center empty spot.

There are cardboard tubes but only on the turn signals and hi-beam indicator lamps....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:48 PM   #4
Mr.Hyde

Well I'm back to it being wiring I checked that the cluster works by running 12v my test light says 12v at the connector but now no lights. Also I lose my signals when I pull my headlight switch out of the forward most position my auxilary gauges are a common ground and spliced into the same 12v supply and work it's driving me nuts. These are the only things holding me back from this being done.

Old 03-05-2016, 10:30 PM   #5
Mr.Hyde

So apparently the prongs on the plug just a head up get depressed over time and fail to contact and they need to be bent back up to encourage contact. Now I need to figure out why I've lost my signals

Old 03-05-2016, 11:29 PM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Sounds like it might be a bad or dirty 12v connection or bad grounds. Make sure you have a ground strap from the engine to the frame, engine to the cab, frame to the bed, and one from the frame or engine to the core support. Be sure and clean all connection points well.... Also check the ground wire clip behind the cluster, that clips to the dash. (see pic below) It grounds the cluster circuit board.

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:16 AM   #7
snipescastle2

Talking Re: Gauge cluster

ditto on what LockDoc said, and if you recently painted your truck, make sure there is a "Bare" spot for the ground clip or lugs to ensure a proper ground.....
I powder coated a lot of parts, my core support for one, and there are several things that depend on a good ground on that, horns, turn signals, ETC....
Take a very close look at your printed circuit board (plastic on the back of the gauges with copper foil traces on it) make sure that none of them are broken or grounded to the tin on the back of the gauges, also, the amp meter, water temp gauges have resistors (small flat rectangular white pieces) that are insulated from the tin, and have studs they attach too, make sure these aren't touching any metal....
Ben
snipescastle2 is offline   Reply With Quote