The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-06-2016, 08:46 PM   #1
divideoverflow

C30 230ci Rear Main Seal - Fel Pro part wrong?

Hello! Started to tackle the rear main seal and oil pump replacement today in my 65 C30, and had a learning experience :-)
We tried to get the oil pan out without jacking up the engine... which did not work. So we undid the engine mounts, clutch linkage, trans mounts, and then got it up high enough to put a 2x4 under each engine mount attachment location (upper and lower). That gave us enough clearance to get the pan out.

Question regarding the rear main seal itself. The one that advanceauto sent me looks nothing like the one I pulled out. It looks like it is only half as wide, and doesn't have a center groove. I'm not sure if it was a part# mistake, or if Fel pro just makes the wrong part for this thing?

I ordered Felpro Rear Main Seal Set, Part No. BS 13241, which claims to be a perfect fit, and the picture looks like what is in the service manual I have (with the wings):

However, it is nothing like what is in there.
Original Seal:

New Seal:

There was no place for the "wings" to go at the rear main cap, and this would only fill one of the grooves in the main cap... not straddle the center ring of the cap like the original does.

So, is this engine a different year that wouldn't accept the "wing" style rear main seal? I'm afraid to order the "performance" version of the seal from Fel Pro, since I can't tell from the pictures if it is half-width like this one is.

Any help here? Am I missing something?
Old 03-06-2016, 09:55 PM   #2
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Re: C30 230ci Rear Main Seal - Fel Pro part wrong?

If I remember right you may have to cut the wings off.....there should be some directions that would specify that. Not sure.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:28 AM   #3
divideoverflow

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ's Chevy View Post
If I remember right you may have to cut the wings off.....there should be some directions that would specify that. Not sure.
Yeah, the concern was less about the wings and more about the fact that the seal is half the width of the one that is in there.

I went ahead and ordered the blue silicone felpro one. Pictures I've seen of that makes it look like a "normal" one with a channel in the middle.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:59 PM   #4
T and S

The t -bar type main seal will not work in place of the one with the wings - ask me how I know.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:05 AM   #5
divideoverflow

Quote:
Originally Posted by T and S View Post
The t -bar type main seal will not work in place of the one with the wings - ask me how I know.
Which one are you calling the T-Bar type and which one are you calling wings? And why are both specified for the same vehicle according to the parts stores (all of them I checked have the same part numbers)?
Old 03-08-2016, 03:35 AM   #6
T and S

some where along the way their must have been a design change. I ordered the felpro "best" main seal for my 250, it would'nt fit at all - I had the type you have pictured. That is all I know, maybe some one more knowledgeable can chime in.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:34 AM   #7
PGSigns

Been a long time since I worked on a 6 but from what I remember there were two types, the narrow that sat down in a single grove in the main cap and the wide, it sat in a wider grove that had what looked like two groves in the bottom of it and the seal sat down in the two groves. The one you pulled is the wider one. The one you got was the narrow. I was a Mercruiser mechanic in the late 70's to early 80's and saw this a good bit when doing the inline 4 and 6's they used in a lot of boats. Never knew till you pulled the cap as to what you had. The old full gasket sets had both in them.
Jimmy
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:13 AM   #8
divideoverflow

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGSigns View Post
Been a long time since I worked on a 6 but from what I remember there were two types, the narrow that sat down in a single grove in the main cap and the wide, it sat in a wider grove that had what looked like two groves in the bottom of it and the seal sat down in the two groves. The one you pulled is the wider one. The one you got was the narrow. I was a Mercruiser mechanic in the late 70's to early 80's and saw this a good bit when doing the inline 4 and 6's they used in a lot of boats. Never knew till you pulled the cap as to what you had. The old full gasket sets had both in them.
Jimmy
Jimmy
Thank you, Jimmy! So I could attempt to stuff the single groove one in there? Do I cut off the "wings" on the bottom piece of the gasket?
Old 03-08-2016, 12:04 PM   #9
storm9c1
*** That's interesting ***

Quote:
Thank you, Jimmy! So I could attempt to stuff the single groove one in there? Do I cut off the "wings" on the bottom piece of the gasket?
I don't think so. I think you need to put the same style new seal back in. Can't mix and match. Two different designs. Like he said, the old kits came with both designs. Nowadays you have to pull apart your engine and see what design you have before you order.
2011 Chevy Caprice PPV 9C3 6.0L
1995 Chevy Caprice 9C1
1994 Chevy Caprice 9C1 #3
1995 Chevy Caprice Wagon #2
1995 Chevy Impala SS
Mopar by night...
1969 Dodge Charger
1972 Chrysler Newport 2dr Hardtop (27K miles)

Plus others...
storm9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 11:37 PM   #10
chevybuldr

Can you post a picture of the seal area on the block or main cap.
chevybuldr is offline   Reply With Quote