The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-06-2016, 10:50 PM   #1
Madeyalook

Hello new to the forum

I just purchased a 1950 3100 from a friend. No vin tag or title. I know. This forum seems cool full of info. The truck has what I have found out to be a dodge aspen torsion bar suspension up front. I don't think I can use this with a chevy vortec v8. Am I correct? That's where I am at right now. Just getting started. This will be my first attempt in getting a vehicle restored. I will include some pics. I hope they load.lol
Attached Images

Madeyalook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:58 PM   #2
Madeyalook

Re: Hello new to the forum

Here are some pictures of the front suspension. What you guys think?
Attached Images

Old 03-06-2016, 11:09 PM   #3
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Ay yi yi ...I wouldn't want darge parts in mine but that's a personal choice. Cant say wether or not you could put a vortec in it or not..it looks like the steering linkage will be in the way..you'd have to mock it up and see if it fits.
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 01:55 AM   #4
alaska gasser

I wouldn't do anything until you have a title in your hand. I finally just got mine finalized and I started the process 3 years ago.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=592769 My daughter's '46 International PU
alaska gasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:51 PM   #5
lv2tri2

The Chrysler torsion bar suspension was somewhat popular with AD builders years ago. I put one on a 49 chassis. That project continued for quite awhile and other front options started to appear better. Long story short, I lost confidence in how well it would work. I sold the chassis and don't know what happened to it. I know that is no help to you but what I learned was there are much better options and real thought and research should be done before using this torsion setup.
lv2tri2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 01:05 PM   #6
II_Slow

Yeah trying to get mine titled now. Lots of paper work, but I got lucky and got my stuff in front of the right person at the DVM and it appears to have sailed right through. I'm sure Cali will be much different than Texas though. They would rather you drive a Prius that restore a classic. Probably ought to fight that fight up front.
II_Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 03:33 PM   #7
ptc

First off.... Welcome to the boards.... just my .02 cents worth.

Never done anything with a Dodge torsion bar front end so take this for what its worth:

For a first build you may want to rethink your starting point just to make things a little easier. The frame is very critical to everything else falling into their proper places and making everything work together easily.... or the hard way. You may just want to find a complete non-scavenged frame to start with and use everything else of the truck you have. If you do use the Dodge you may end up fighting it all the way unless it has been together before??? Projects like this end up never getting done, because it becomes more trouble than its worth.

If you are game to take on a "BIGGER PROJECT" then look into getting a front clip off of a donor that is more readily used; S-10, A-Body, F-Body, G-body GM cars with front disc brakes.... Do a graft and youre on your way!

Good luck with whatever you decide.... its all fun
Old 03-07-2016, 04:47 PM   #8
Madeyalook

Thanks for all the replies. I dont think im going to use the dodge front end. Because the steering box is in the way for a chevy v8. The S10 front suspension is sounding like a good idea. I think it would be a cheaper option that has been proven to work. I have a mig welder. With limited welding skills.lol i just want to get this truck running again. Ill start searching the forum for info on which year S10 will work and where to cut! I know its going to be a slow build. But I can't wait to get started. Thanks!