The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-07-2016, 12:01 PM   #1
Tony S.

Question 64 c10 wiring

Okay guys and gals,

I just installed the 1978 big block 454 into my 64 that originally had the 6 in. I'm into the questions now of how to wire it all up.

I have a coil on my starter now and a different distributor as well.

Can anyone help me please?

Thank you all!
Tony S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 04:11 PM   #2
ray_mcavoy

Re: 64 c10 wiring

Hi Tony,

Are you using the HEI distributor, starter, and alternator that were stock equipment on the 1978 454? Or equivalent replacements for the 1978 parts?

If so, the HEI distributor needs a full battery voltage supply instead of being powered through the special resistance wire that fed the stock coil. Here is a thread describing the ways this can be done --> http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=7493078 It's for 67-72 but the procedure is the same for your 64 (the only difference will be in the style of the bulkhead connector where the engine harness plugs into the firewall).

The 1978 starter will wire up the same as the 64 one. However, it probably won't have an "R" terminal on the solenoid for the cloth-covered resistance & yellow bypass wires that used to feed the stock coil. But you don't need those if you have an HEI distributor. So you can either remove those wires or at least insulate the unused ring terminal.

The 1978 alternator will be an SI series internally regulated alternator. There are a couple ways to deal with this:

(1) You could cut the brown & red wires at the old external regulator plug, splice on extensions, and run them directly to the alternator. The brown wire should go to terminal #1 and the red wire to terminal #2.

(2) You could accomplish the same thing by installing a couple jumper wires on the old external regulator plug and changing the connector on the alternator end. This utilizes the existing blue & white wires as the extensions of the brown & red. See post #18 in this thread for pics --> http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=6966971 Note: You can also purchase ready made plug-in adapters to do this (like M&H part number 27555).
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote