The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-10-2016, 01:47 AM   #1
Scott76

Uneven headers?

So this is a weird one. After having gone through the 9 million things the previous owner did that were beyond bad, I have finally gotten rid of the junkyard header setup and mounted some Summit 1-7/8" primary headers. Fit up was beyond easy, clears everything. Weird thing is, the passenger side header is about 1/2" lower than the driver's side at the collectors and pointed a little bit towards the ground, the drivers is level.

Has anyone experinced this?

I'm welding up a custom exhaust and a custom trans crossmember so it's not something I can't overcome, but it seems like something is way wrong.

Truck is a 79 with a BBC.
Scott76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 02:14 AM   #2
Gregski
Post Whore

Re: Uneven headers?

busted motor mount maybe?
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:38 AM   #3
Scott76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregski View Post
busted motor mount maybe?
Nope, thought of that and they look fine. Although that is just from a casual glance, I didn't remove them or anything.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:39 AM   #4
CSHADES

I have never seen a pair of full length headers that are exactly the same on both sides. Actually I have never seen 2 pairs of headers that are exactly the same, meaning if you ordered another pair of the same headers from summit the drivers side may be lower than the passenger side this time. It depends on a lot of different things that happen in the jig when they are welded. Don't worry about it. If they are only a little different you got lucky. I have seen them way off and real noticeable.
CSHADES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:15 AM   #5
Scott76

Cool, sounds good. I'm somewhat new to car stuff, never have to deal with this with motorcycles lol.

A buddy suggested putting a jack under the pass side to get it closer.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:26 AM   #6
kalbert

My 20 year old Blackjacks are that way, the passenger one hangs much lower and the collector is angled down. Some of this is for sure the motor mounts that are completely shot, the brackets are resting on the frame. Otherwise I just live with it. I don't think trying to tweak them with a jack will work. They are damn strong, you'll lift the truck or crush the collector before you bend the down tubes even a little.
kalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:32 AM   #7
CSHADES

I have tweaked them before using various methods including a jack but you do run the risk of damaging the tubes and collectors. If they don't look bad I would just leave them be and finish your exhaust.
CSHADES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 01:56 PM   #8
bigblock73
yeller

Common issue with aftermarket headers. Keep in mind, most are designed to work around 2wd, 4wd, manual trans, auto trans, different year trucks (67-87 for example), etc..
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote