The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2016, 11:22 PM   #1
ItWillBeSlow

repainting shift knob tips

Anyone successfully repaint/refinish a 4 speed shift knob with good results? Not looking for show quality and also not looking to pay the guy at a body shop to shoot it for me. I want to keep my current knob as its the original to truck.

What will hold up to the abuse a shift knob sees that comes in a rattle can or similar? Will Krylon, valspar, etc clear coat last?
Old 03-12-2016, 12:45 AM   #2
FirstOwner69

Re: repainting shift knob tips

I got a knob from the junkyard a couple years ago just to see what I could do with it. I first used something like 800 and 1200 grit wet/dry sandpaper to remove scratches. I followed that by polishing it with a loose flannel buff and white rouge that I use for the final step when polishing stainless. I then dabbed white paint into the numerals with a touchup brush and wiped of the excess around them with a fine weave cotton rag wrapped tightly around my finger. The knob had a mottled finish like all I've seen but was shiny as you can see in the picture. I did the same with a transfer case knob. It did not have a mottled appearance.
Attached Images

FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 12:52 AM   #3
ItWillBeSlow

That's exactly what I'm aiming for. So you polished only, no paint? Did you ever put the knob to use? I expect the white paint in the grooves will have to have clear coat or it'll be gone within a few months of driving
Old 03-12-2016, 01:14 AM   #4
FirstOwner69

No paint (black or clear). Just like the General made them. I doubt the paint would wear off quickly since the numerals are recessed. Rather than clear, which would also wear off, you may just want to build up the white with additional coats.

I sold it along with a chrome single bend shifter in response to a WTB ad in the forum classifieds.

Below is another pic showing both knobs. The marks visible on the transfer case knob are actually reflections of pine trees overhead.
Attached Images

Last edited by FirstOwner69; 03-12-2016 at 01:21 AM.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 05:55 AM   #5
midniteblues

I had a few of the white 4 spd knobs that were pretty beat up.
I screwed them on a piece of all thread and chucked it in a drill and just held sand paper in my hand and worked my way up in grits.
Till It was nice and smooth. Then did the same with a rag and some plastic polish.
Before the last two or three finer grits I cleaned them real good and painted the #''s and let them dry real good. Then finished with the fine grit and polish.

They came out looking like new. I'm sure the same could be done with the truck knobs.

Also had a plain black knob where I made a 5 speed pattern for a t50 trans using #stamps some checkering files for gun stocks and a dremel. It was kinda tough but still came out nice.
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 09:30 AM   #6
ItWillBeSlow

Thanks, I like the idea of just polishing instead of trying to paint. I'd like to find an old sm465 knob to try it on before I use my original.

Any others with experience / pics please join in.