The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-12-2016, 05:59 PM   #1
craig32

Task Force door help

Greetings!
I'm having an issue with the doors on my 56, they don't latch right. I bought new latches awhile back, but they didn't even begin to fit in the strikers. Did they change, and the reproductions are all the newer style? I ask, because I did run into this on my 55 Bel Air, the latches for a 57 weren't the same. In that same line, my door relay is stripped, and if I get a new one, will I need the handle too? (Again, on the cars, the 'new' handles don't fit the original relays, only the 'new' ones.)
Anyway, When I close the doors, I have to lift up on them and really lean into it. I've heard about 'hinge pockets' and I take it it's in the cab that goes bad, not the door? I don't see anything rusted on the lower panels just in front of the step, I'm assuming it's something else? I looked at the hinges, and I can't see the hinge pins. Are the pins in the back, where you have to remove the hinge completely to replace them?
I'm finally done with the car, and I'm ready to go on the truck this year. I've got to fix these doors, cab corners, bed floor, and make a bell housing crossmember to replace the one that got cut out. And repaint, as it apparently wasn't prepared properly before it was painted before. Hopefully when I'm finished, people will still tell me it looks nice AFTER they walk up to it!
Thanks in advance!

Craig
craig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 06:24 PM   #2
_Ogre

Re: Task Force door help

if you can lift the doors much the hinges are wore out, maybe adjustable
repop door latches and strikers work great from lmc truck and what i run on my 58 truk

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote