The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-12-2016, 11:37 PM   #1
nail pounder

Transmission noise question

I've already done a search but don't see what I'm looking for. I have a stock '58, 235, 3 on the tree, had it a month or 2. Haven't done much driving, mostly cleaning and getting it road worthy. So today my daughter and I spent the day driving it. I'm hearing a loud, high pitched (almost squeeking but not) noise when I floor it in any gear, at any rpm. If I just cruise normally it doesn't happen, it seems like a trans noise. If I just rev the engine it won't do it. I checked fluid level, it's good. I also have clutch chatter in 1st unless I get on the gas but that seems unrelated. Any thoughts? Here's a pic from the grocery store, we had a lot of fun cruising it around today.
Attached Images

nail pounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 11:58 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Transmission noise question

I'd think that maybe you have a bearing in the trans that is making the noise under a load. There are also a couple of bushings that may be causing the noise.

A bearing and small part kit for that trans isn't too spendy and most of it is fairly easy to do outside of pressing the bearing on the input shaft and possibly pressing a couple of bushings.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 12:05 AM   #3
Foot Stomper

Had a turbo 400 make noise (behind a 455 with dual gate) on wot and later discovered a bolt/screw was touching the case... Perhaps the body is contacting drive train under wot?
Just spit balling...

My 1959 GMC build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686989
Foot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 12:31 AM   #4
nail pounder

Thanks for the advice, I'll crawl around under it tomorrow and see if it's something simple like a bolt or anything touching it Stomper. Mr 48, if it is a bearing I suppose that would be a good time to do the clutch as well, in the meantime, am I causing any real damage just by driving it to coffee or whatever on the weekend till I get the parts and time to install them?
Old 03-13-2016, 01:57 PM   #5
Speedbumpauto

Do the rpm's come up at all when you floor it? That's a classic sound of a slipping clutch if you have quiet enough exhaust to hear it. The torque overcomes what's left of the clutch. Easy test if you're careful is put the front against something strong, like a telephone pole, put the trans in 3rd gear, rev the engine up some and start letting the clutch out. If it hesitates trying to kill the engine, you found your problem. As always, take care when performing any back yard test.
Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 03:32 PM   #6
Wrenchbender Ret

A restricted exhaust system can cause a noise like that. I agree with Speedbump , it could be a slipping clutch.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 04:13 PM   #7
1project2many

I'd want a description of how the noise sounds... "Wheet, wheet, wheet" that gets faster and louder with acceleration? Or constant squeel? If it changes with rpm, does it follow engine (changes faster in first than third) or does it follow vehicle speed? Does it get worse if you turn on lights or if the engine is hot / cold?

Some other related questions: Does the throttle have to be all the way to the floor or is it just under heavy load? Does the speedometer needle work smoothly or does it bounce? Does your truck have a stock aircleaner? Does your truck have a manual choke? Have you recently adjusted the brakes?
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 04:34 PM   #8
starterman99

Check your drive shaft ujoints.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:42 PM   #9
nail pounder

Thanks for all the advise, I haven't been under it yet today, Sunday with the family, but my daughter and I took it to coffee and a drive. Seems to be under load only. If I drive at a steady, moderate pace, no noise. If I bog it in second rather than full stop to downshift it will make the sqeal, and it's a constant sound unless I let up on the gas. It almost sounds like a belt slipping but it's not that. I will check ujoints, I don't believe the clutch is slipping, I've had that happen in my past on a different vehicle.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:52 AM   #10
chevyguyase

I don't remember when these trucks went to key start. If your truck is key start you may have a broken starter Bendix spring. When you accelerate the teeth of the Bendix will contact the moving flywheel.
chevyguyase is offline   Reply With Quote