The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-16-2016, 06:22 PM   #1
1774btcrew

Best place to buy a parallel flow condernsor?

After a lot of reading, I have came to the conclusion that I should use a parallel flow condenser for optimum cooling with r134. Does anyone make one for a square or are there some other models that are pretty easy to install? I am getting all new hoses for my truck so that isn't a concern but ideally, I would like the outlets on the passenger side of my 77. It is getting hot already and I don't want to do another summer without air conditioning!

1972 Cheyenne Super Short Bed big block "Blackie"
1977 Crew Cab GMC Short bed with 4BT Intercooled Cummins Diesel and a 4L80e "The Junkyard Dog"
1985 Crew Cab Chevy dually with 5.9 Cummins "The Big Dog" This is what my dad liked to be called by the grandkids before he passed so it seems fitting for his old truck.
1774btcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 06:54 PM   #2
Firebirdjones

Re: Best place to buy a parallel flow condernsor?

Stock one works fine and (I thought) was readily available. I converted my 79 to 134 about 15 years ago, still has it's stock 79 issue condenser. It's so cold it'll run you out of the truck. I drive my wife nuts with it
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 12:40 AM   #3
jetmech85

My replacement condenser is a parallel flow. Came from local O'Reilly's. I'm thinking all replacement condensers are parallel flow but not 100% certain. I had to relocate the rubber mounts because it is not as wide as the original and the in/out lines had to be tweeked a little to prevent fouling but overall an easy install. Pretty sure your original would work if you choose to use it, my fins were too bent to fix so I just replaced it. Be sure to flush the original one with a flush made for that purpose.
jetmech85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:40 AM   #4
Nodnarb76

Re: Best place to buy a parallel flow condensor?

1987 R20 Suburban LQ4/4L80e swap: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=693824

Last edited by N2TRUX; 03-17-2016 at 09:26 AM. Reason: For sale ad
Nodnarb76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:40 AM   #5
allengator

I have been reading about this as well...
Lots of different opinions on if an upgrade is necessary...

1980 Chevy SWB Pickup (build thread)

1951 Chevy Sedan Delivery
2004 Chevy Tahoe Z71
2011 Harley Davidson Street Glide
2018 Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
allengator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 12:47 PM   #6
DBLSPRT68

I also read that swapping in a fan motor of a 88-98 truck, will give you much better air flow. I haven't actually done it, but will on my trucks soon. I'll also be keeping an eye on this, because I will starting on my a/c systems soon too.
PROJECT TRUCK: 1985 SWB C10 Silverado Black/Charcoal, 1990 V2500 Suburban, 2018 Suburban, 2005 GMC 2500HD CCSB, 2014 Toyota Camry SE, HAD.....1968 Camaro RS/SS Family owned since new; 350 3 speed SOLD
DBLSPRT68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 12:52 PM   #7
phillip123hastings

So what's the best place anyway?
phillip123hastings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 06:48 PM   #8
tucsonjwt

I almost got a cross flow condenser but added a pusher fan instead. I got one from a Geo Metro in the junkyard because I already had a factory oil cooler and there was no room for a larger fan. It helped with the A/C a lot. I have it wired to the compressor power wire with a relay and it turns on when the compressor turns on.

When I researched cross flow condensers I found a lot on Ebay and Amazon for lower cost, so I would start there. You can check the online A/C vendors to get an idea of what they recommend for retrofits and adapters for squares. I think most of these are made in China anyway, so I would shop price, as long as you get a good warranty. Some places have lifetime warranties (maybe Autozone?)
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 11:58 PM   #9
1774btcrew

I actually found several online when searching but non showed the actual applications. As far as using my stock condenser goes, I really prefer not to. I have switched two trucks to r134 and just haven't been happy with them. I figured since all of the rest of the system will be new there is no reason not to go with something like the parallel flow even if the gains are minimal. I was just hoping someone actually had used a particular brand/model that worked for the squares

1977 Crew Cab GMC Short bed with 4BT Intercooled Cummins Diesel and a 4L80e "The Junkyard Dog"
1985 Crew Cab Chevy dually with 5.9 Cummins "The Big Dog" This is what my dad liked to be called by the grandkids before he passed so it seems fitting for his old truck.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:12 AM   #10
100%Chevy

A little off the topic.
I converted my 68,C-10 to 134-a and to the orifice tube system and used a condenser from a 90's S-10.
It's dual flow and I got it at the U-Pull-It yard.
It almost completely covers the radiator opening.
I'm finishing the install now,so haven't tried it yet.
A fan does help as 134-a doesn't cool well at idle or sitting in traffic.
Mike.
100%Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 01:38 PM   #11
tucsonjwt

Personally, I would use both as cross flow condenser and a pusher fan. Mine actually gets below 32 degrees with when I checked it with my cheap mini Craftsman thermometer(if you believe the reading it gives out.) That is just with the pusher fan and 134A conversion.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-non-c...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 12:11 AM   #12
1774btcrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post
Personally, I would use both as cross flow condenser and a pusher fan. Mine actually gets below 32 degrees with when I checked it with my cheap mini Craftsman thermometer(if you believe the reading it gives out.) That is just with the pusher fan and 134A conversion.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-non-c...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds
Thanks for the advice! This is what I was hoping to hear.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:56 AM   #13
hatzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1774btcrew View Post
I actually found several online when searching but non showed the actual applications. As far as using my stock condenser goes, I really prefer not to. I have switched two trucks to r134 and just haven't been happy with them. I figured since all of the rest of the system will be new there is no reason not to go with something like the parallel flow even if the gains are minimal. I was just hoping someone actually had used a particular brand/model that worked for the squares
I'm curious. Was the compressor the Harrison R4 radial or the big heavy A6?

I've had poor results with converting the R4 to R134a but the A6 systems I converted worked quite well. I believe it has a lot to do with displacement of the compressor.
1972 Ford F250 FE390, NP435/NP205 SOLD
1976 Chevy K20, 6.5L, NV4500/NP208 SOLD
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2000 GMC C2500, TD6.5L, NV4500
2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E/NP263
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
And please let us know if and how your repairs were successful.
hatzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 11:59 AM   #14
ZacharyDouglas1992

APDI 7013642 A/C Condenser

I just installed this condenser over the weekend in my 87 R10. I have seen it advertised as parallel flow but I don't know the difference between a parallel flow and the stock type so I can't confirm that unless someone explains the difference to me.

That being said, it fit fantastically in the stock location with all the stock mounting hardware. Along with a new accumulator, evaporator, orifice tube and compressor I was at 40 degrees sitting still in about 80 degree ambient temp. it dipped below that to ~35 when driving. I'm sure it would do even better with a fan, but it froze me out as it is. I'll know for sure when we start getting 100+ degree days here in a couple months.

If needed I have all the parts numbers I used. I got everything from Amazon, even the Freon, except for the evaporator. That I purchased at pit stop auto.
1987 R10 TBI 350/700R4
2014 CRUZE 2.0 TURBO DIESEL
ZacharyDouglas1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 12:35 PM   #15
brown7373

I have installed a parallel flow from Classic Auto Air in Tampa on my 70 Bonneville and my 72 Cutlass, and it made a MAJOR difference. I also had the POA (not a bypass or replacement, but a real POA) calibrated for 134a. However, the last I checked they did not make one for a 72 PU. I don't know about for a 77, but you might try them. With the parallel, my temperature runs in the low 30s and changes very little at traffic lights. The fit and installation was identical to what was factory.

If anyone knows of one that fits a 72 I would buy in a heartbeat. My 72 with recalibrated POA and everything else factor is good, but not great. The parallel that is designed for 134a does a more efficient job of cooling the refrigerant, which in turn does a better job of cooling the air that goes into the vehicle.
brown7373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:41 PM   #16
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatzie View Post
I've had poor results with converting the R4 to R134a but the A6 systems I converted worked quite well. I believe it has a lot to do with displacement of the compressor.
Exactly, the A6 is a larger CI displacement compressor. Some people complain they are big and heavy and take more HP to use, but nothing else out there pumps Freon like an A6 and it's a huge factor when converting to 134.

I've also found that parallel flow condensors have really never been needed in any of the conversions I've done on trucks or other large vehicles that have very large frontal area and massive factory condensors that are the size of the entire front of the vehicle (such as a truck) The other advantage are regular cab pickups that don't have a lot of area to cool in the first place.
The only time I've found it necessary to spend the extra money for a parallel condenser are on the smaller compact vehicles that don't have much front room for a condenser and efficiency suffers. Another example is when I'm doing retro swaps installing vintage AC in a classic vehicle, the parallel condenser is a necessity because these systems are so compact, small compressor, small evap, small condenser, that you need all the efficiency that you can get. Most times these systems are so small they only hold 19 ounces of Freon on a full charge to begin with.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:43 PM   #17
1774btcrew

Quote:
I'm curious. Was the compressor the Harrison R4 radial or the big heavy A6?

I have actually used the Harrison r4 and a Sanden both with R134.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:47 PM   #18
1774btcrew

Well my truck is a crewcab, and I have just never been happy with the A/C in it with R134. My 85 worked better than the 77 though.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:09 PM   #19
Chevy3+3

I'm getting in on this also. This is my next project is to hook up the A/C with all new components. I have a CC also so I wanted to switch to a parallel flow style condenser.

I will say that almost 15 yrs ago we converted a '78 chevy to 134a and use the original condenser and it would FREEZE you out! I would probably rate it as being on of the coldest a/c systems I have ever driven.

I did have a thought but wasn't sure how it would work.......I have owned and rode in many 03-07 Chevy classic pickups and the A/C systems in these trucks can get really cold with 134a. I wondered about seeing if a condenser from one of these trucks would work in ours?
Old 03-23-2016, 02:06 AM   #20
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Quote:
Well my truck is a crewcab, and I have just never been happy with the A/C in it with R134. My 85 worked better than the 77 though.

My 99 crew cab and my 2000 regular cab sonoma use the same compressor and the same amount of freon.

Sonoma is icy cold, the crewcab has never been cold.
Always figured the system just isn't enough.
Wanted to ad an evaporator like a suburban, but never did.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:44 AM   #21
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy3+3 View Post
I will say that almost 15 yrs ago we converted a '78 chevy to 134a and use the original condenser and it would FREEZE you out! I would probably rate it as being on of the coldest a/c systems I have ever driven.
That's how my 79 is with a stock system converted to 134. We've driven that all over Arizona in the heat. Last year 117 outside we made a trip to Tucson and the AC system was freezing cold, turned the fan down. Truck doesn't even have tinted windows. Huge front grill area and extremely large condenser with a mechanical fan and A6 compressor.

I've done tons of these conversions, including a lot of my own stuff on vastly different cars with some experimentation.
I had an 88 Iroc Z, R4 compressor that I converted to 134. It was okay but never ice cold, but that car is a bottom feeder with no grill opening and very difficult to get airflow through the condenser/radiator area.

2 years ago we converted my sons 89 5.0 Mustang, complete stock system with it's sanden style looking compressor, switched to 134. Now this system will freeze you out of the car, and it's a completely black mustang, very hot in the AZ sun yet it cools down quickly. But it has a better grill opening in the front and a decent size condenser, along with a clutch driven mechanical fan that is always moving, so the system works well.

My 72 blazer has factory AC. Here's an interesting experiment. When original with it's A6 compressor, converted to 134 it would do an excellent job of cooling the truck, considering a blazer has a rather large area inside to cool. I later swapped a 6.0 LS engine and at the same time did a dual electric fan setup and switched to a Sanden compressor (no bracketry for an LS to accept the A6 so I was forced in this situation) Back up and running, now the AC system was subpar in my opinion. It worked okay but not as well as it did with the old A6. The AC system is so large on these trucks I have to believe that little sanden just wasn't capable of moving the Freon as well and the performance suffered as a result (it's the only variable in the system)

I've found AC performance is really dependent on the car in question, the size of the condensor and the compressor make a huge difference in these deals. All of the retro conversion I do come with the parallel condenser but these retrofit systems are very small. Some work okay if there is enough grill opening but some suffer. 57 Tbird I just did has a vintage air system with a very tiny parallel condenser and a pusher fan to help and a sanden compressor. Even in the tiny 2 seater passenger compartment the system will barely keep you comfortable. It only held 19 ounces of Freon before the pressures were where they needed to be, it's just too small of a system to do the job effectively, even the parallel condenser isn't making the grade in this application, it's just not large enough and the car isn't big enough up front to accept anything larger.

Tons of other examples but you can see the trend....

Last edited by Firebirdjones; 03-23-2016 at 08:57 AM.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:45 AM   #22
hatzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQQL IT View Post
My 99 crew cab and my 2000 regular cab sonoma use the same compressor and the same amount of freon.

Sonoma is icy cold, the crewcab has never been cold.
Always figured the system just isn't enough.
Wanted to ad an evaporator like a suburban, but never did.
Quote:
A more efficient Condenser might help in both cases.
I've gotten almost too cold from the systems I've done with an A6 compressor. The first one I did I thought I had it undercharged but the gauges were about where they should be and the evaporator wasn't freezing up.

What are your vent temps?

It could be from too much oil. When you convert to R134a you need to flush as much of the mineral oil out of the whole system as possible. If you don't flush it out you have no way of knowing how much oil is in there. Too much oil will adversely affect evaporator and condenser operation keeping your vent temps higher than they could be.
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:20 PM   #23
silverbear

I purchased a 16"x 26" parallel high flow condenser off of eBay from a shop down in Miami for $58. It is a universal mount. I had a local shop custom make me some aluminum lines to connect to the condenser and go outside if the radiator on the passenger side. These custom lines have the #6 and #8 fittings for the barrier hoses I have to make up for my system. I will be using a Sanden 508 compressor in my stock aluminum serpentine brackets. These pics are my work in progress. Still cleaning up the brackets getting for the serpentine conversion.

Name:  20151128_112432.jpg
Views: 3468
Size:  47.1 KB

Name:  20151128_155709.jpg
Views: 1795
Size:  44.0 KB
2010 Suburban 1500 4x4 5.3l/6L80e. Sold
2016 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 6.0l/6L80e
silverbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 12:15 AM   #24
hatzie

That looks great. Nice work.
One thing most folks leave out is the side fillers to direct air to the condenser rather than allowing the air to bypass on top and bottom and on the sides.
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

Old 03-24-2016, 09:54 AM   #25
silverbear

Quote:
That looks great. Nice work.
One thing most folks leave out is the side fillers to direct air to the condenser rather than allowing the air to bypass on top and bottom and on the sides.
I have been thinking about that. Currently I don't have anything to direct that air. In your opinion, what material would work best for a custom fit lit mine?
2010 Suburban 1500 4x4 5.3l/6L80e. Sold
2016 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 6.0l/6L80e
silverbear is offline   Reply With Quote