The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-23-2016, 09:13 AM   #1
hambone1958

Bump steer issues

Hello All. I have a 1972 GMC 2wd lwb that i put a 2/4 drop on a few years back and the steering has never been the same. As the old saying goes I need hell and half an acre to turn the thing around. I'm wondering if some Heidts control arms with the forward ball joint would help with my problem.

Thanks, Alan
hambone1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:18 AM   #2
hambone1958

Re: Bump steer issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone1958 View Post
Hello All. I have a 1972 GMC 2wd lwb that i put a 2/4 drop on a few years back and the steering has never been the same. As the old saying goes I need hell and half an acre to turn the thing around. I'm wondering if some Heidts control arms with the forward ball joint would help with my problem.

Thanks, Alan
Couldn't figure out how to edit my post but these are the control arms I'm looking at. They are Hotchkis not Heidts. Sorry.

Hotchkis 11390U and Hotchkis 11390L.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:24 AM   #3
68c10airstream

Re: Bump steer issues

In my opinion the only way to cure bumpsteer is to have the upper "A" arm overall length to be shortened or lengthened as needed for an alignment. This approach will keep the upper "A" arm inner pivot points i the same position no matter what is done to get an alignment done. When shims or cam eccentrics are used to move the upper arm in or out the pivot point moves with it and induces bumpsteer. For no bumpsteer to be achieved think of a straight vertical line going through the upper arm pivot, down through the lower arm pivot point, and along the way it must go through the inner tie rod end along the way. Another words all inner pivot points align when in the straight ahead position.

The same applies to the upper ball joint down through the outer tie rod end and on down to the lower ball joint.

About the only aftermarket front end that does this is scotts ifs system. When ever i look at an aftermarket front end the first thing i look at are the upper "A" arms and look for adjustable sleeves built into the arms. This means you can lengthen, shorten the arm and also move the upper ball joint forward or rearward as needed for caster/camber considerations.

This post is probably going to upset some, but wasn't my intent. There are many great products out there now, just some i believe are a notch above.

Do a google search on bumpsteer, ackerman angles, positive caster, toe in/out. I think "rob" from no limit did a great front end write up on all of this on this site. Good luck!
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote