The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-23-2016, 10:48 PM   #1
pritch

2 outta 3 ain't bad...

I suppose if you get anything made in America you should just count your blessings, but I felt like having the guy go back and see if he could find just one more:

Yes, it's U-joint time for 'Ol Green. I picked up a carrier bearing too, just so the entire driveshaft will be good to go.
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:54 PM   #2
In The Ten Ring

Re: 2 outta 3 ain't bad...

The only thing better than spare parts is more spare parts! Get all you can.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 01:14 AM   #3
El Dorado Jim

Pretty sad that hardly anything is made in USA anymore, China stuff is junk
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 02:39 AM   #4
1972RedNeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dorado Jim View Post
Pretty sad that hardly anything is made in USA anymore, China stuff is junk
Actually you might be surprised. A couple years back I started paying attention to where stuff was made. Most of the stuff I buy these days is made right here in the states - or so they claim at least.

Sometimes it takes a little searching but it's out there.
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I once pulled an intake manifold for a cam swap... ended up with a full on drag car that ran in the 11's.
1972RedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 12:52 PM   #5
alsriv2

Location: Formerly MD and San Diego, now loving life in Arizona

Based on my experiences, Chinese metallurgy is just different and produces weaker parts than when made here. I don't have any luck with the softer/weaker metal parts coming from China.

2012 Ram 3500 Dually Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins
2014 Palomino Columbus 340RK 5th wheel
'69 Chevy C10 396BB
alsriv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 02:16 PM   #6
ettsn

While I absolutely prefer buying American made, to lump everything Chinese made into the "crap" bucket is unfair. The Chinese are capable and willing to make as good aproduct as we're willing to pay for. Problem is, most of the time a company shifts production over there, it's to make it as cheaply as possible.

Think of it this way, we think of Apple products as being made well and nearly 100% of them are made in China. But a MacBook Pro is several times the price of a Dell or whatever. I guess what I'm saying is not to be lulled into thinking the Chinese *can't* make very high quality. It's just that most of the time, we aren't willing to pay for it.
ettsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 03:47 PM   #7
mike16

make sure that when you see made in america on the box...... its not the box itse;f thats made in america.

also make sure the american made part is in the box and not some chicom knock off like they was doing back a few years ago.
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 04:06 PM   #8
Dave K.

Folks, I've worked a lot in China and many of our machine's components are now made there. Many of our customers believe our machines are made in the US of A but sadly not--perhaps the major weldments but not the subs. That being said I've worked on QA in the China shops and to bash the Chinese stuff as inferior is pretty much a glittering generality with little meat these days. Some, perhaps, but I've had a American made stuff that was ****e as well. It all comes down to supervision, QA and the shop you are using. I remember when everyone referred to "Jap Crap"--remember that? Now their cars are as good or better than our stuff.

Mind you I'm not a Chinese product proponent--I hate seeing that tag--but also remember that while you may have something ASSEMBLED in the US the subcomponents likely speak another language..... labels are misleading most of the time and "Made in USA" is very vague indeed.
Dave K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 04:10 PM   #9
michael bustamante

i read the title and immediatly thought "dont be sad" (meatloaf) lol
Old 03-24-2016, 04:31 PM   #10
bhc41051

You're right Dave K. those Takata air bags are second to none! and I only feed my dog Chinese made dog food.
bhc41051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:48 PM   #11
special-K
Special Order

I only say Chinese don't make good quality parts based on my experience of breakage and early failure. It's based on fact. I don't hate China, I just don't like paying for crap. Nothing is cheaper from there, just a larger profit margin for Mr. Fat Cat Greedybritches. And, the whole "cheaper" thing is the labor. I believe they do the best they can, but they are decades behind in metallurgy and precision machining. If they can do better than why don't they? The reputation didn't start on a bar stool. It came from real world experiences like mine. Why do engine cranes fail? We used to get guys running up here from NC with a pickup bed full of locally produced engine cranes, presses, and other shop equipment for cheap. I never heard of anything being poor quality. My engine crane is 30 years old and I've abused the snot out of it. Lifted way past it's rating.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:23 AM   #12
Willie Makeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
If they can do better than why don't they?
Because the American consumer is unwilling to pay for it.
Willie Makeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:50 AM   #13
Dave K.

The Chinese manufacturers for American companies build to the American spec for the most part. So if you want someone to blame for crappy metallurgy, assembly and so on then you can blame lack of diligence on the part of the OEM. We spec our steel and sometimes ship some over to get our spec. It's on us to ensure the sub builds to spec and people are trained to US standards. Once trained however they often jump.

And yes, the consumer has spoken--that's why all the flag waving folks shop at Walmart without complaint ....

By the way, costs have risen such in China that even they are going over to Thailand, Vietnam and other cheaper places!

I do look for US made stuff but often don't have the time for a simple piece.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:28 AM   #14
bhc41051

Gee Dave, I guess I'm lucky your company wasn't in charge of quality control and training at the plant making all those Chinese made 107 mm rockets I dodged in Iraq. I might not be here today.
bhc41051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:29 AM   #15
Dave K.

Special K--don't disagree on the engine hoists and also floor jacks. Barely used my floor jack and it's already bypassing in the cylinder. Guess that's why they made wood blocks! I blame Sears for their poor sourcing and specs. Don't buy much from them anymore--look for good deals on CL for used American stuff if possible. Harbor freight is pretty much disposable tools...
Old 03-25-2016, 09:49 AM   #16
Dave K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhc41051 View Post
Gee Dave, I guess I'm lucky your company wasn't in charge of quality control and training at the plant making all those Chinese made 107 mm rockets I dodged in Iraq. I might not be here today.
Guys, I'm not an advocate for farmed out work to the Chinese but I understand the workings of the business model and I'm just passing along my experiences. Seriously, if folks have a problem with the Chinese made stuff then send a message to the parts stores, Costco, Walmart and others and don't shop there--talk to your representatives as well.

End of my posts to this thread, have at it guys!
Old 03-25-2016, 02:05 PM   #17
davepl

It's not so much where it came from as the price point. If the "good" part in the US cost $50, China can likely make it equivalent quality for $40.

But they probably also can make a $20 version with cheaper steel (and maybe made by younger children, who knows). Then people buy the $20 version, it fails, and they deem all stuff made in China as garbage.

The reality is that when you can buy the same part for double the cost it's probably because quality was "designed out" of the cheaper one to hit a price point.

Outside aerospace the iPhone is probably the most complex thing we produce, and it's made in China, and its a work of art if you've ever seen inside one. So it's all about what you're willing to pay for.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 04:37 PM   #18
Coley

Some excellent points here and I fully agree on a lot of folks underestimating the quality out of china, and it is improving every day. As a result the 'disbelievers' will end up being left in the dust on this'....unless they come to terms with that.
That said, remember where those crate engines everyone buys are made...cheaply....Mexico.
I am big fan of buying local and buying from smaller businesses if I can swing it. I can the amount of times in my life that I have entered Walmart on one hand...and I'm immensely proud of that and that isn't likely to change much.
There is some blue sky to the 'made in china' advantage tho' and that is that every month wages are going up there...and that means costs are going up. It isn't the big advantage it was 10 years ago and at some point you might find some of that outsourcing returning home as the wage/salary playing field levels off.
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:49 PM   #19
pritch

I didn't mean to start such a spirited discussion, bordering on banned topics

2 points, though. All 3 of these U joints were the same price, and it turns out that my truck has 2 of this type and one is larger! So I can return the offending joint and take my chances with the correct one.

I bought the wrong carrier bearing, too, so I was gonna have to make the hundred mile round trip to the parts store first thing in the morning, anyway. Should checked first.
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 02:08 AM   #20
leddzepp

I bought a Champion all aluminum TIG welded radiator from Jegs for $227 shipped to my door. I have no doubt it was manufactured off shore, as nowhere on the box or radiator itself is "made in USA" present. They claim the radiator is made at an "ISO facility", that's it.

Regardless, it is very well made, about the same price as a parts store Spectra, which has plastic tanks (epoxy). It bolted right up, all lines fit, no leaks, cools like a cucumber, and other then being shiny and "blingy" appears OEM. Before buying, I read many reviews about them both here and on other forums. I would definitely buy one again. I do think outsourced parts are getting better in quality nowadays, and that is a good thing because the global economy is here to stay whether we like it or not, unfortunately.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:51 AM   #21
special-K
Special Order

I agree the mfgrs are the culprit in most cases. Cheaper labor was the draw to move our jobs to nation we are barely diplomatic with. But that wasn't enough. I am sure many specs/standards have been decreased. Why is it Sears can't sell a jack to hold any more? Why are disc brake calipers seizing a routine issue? I had a plastic clutch master cylinder allowing a fine spray of fluid (undetectable to my eyes) through the material! It seems there is an element of just not caring. I don't know what end it comes from or if it's both ends. It seems a part could be made wrong and rather than scrap the lot, load it and ship it. What can they do once it's all the way over there? I've talked with reps who say they tell their people over there about issues and nothing changes. I know this isn't every case, but this is the type of thing that goes on. Maybe the American having the parts made doesn't care either. The world has become too much about the bottom line. Isn't that how primates started off?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 02:14 PM   #22
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhc41051 View Post
Thank you for dodging those rockets on our behalf! I've got a lot of service men present and past in my family and your sacrifices are greatly appreactiated and respected by me and many others on here!
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote