The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-24-2016, 07:02 AM   #1
hogfarm

Blower

I ahve a 54 chevy truck and a 58,The 58 has a ways to go but I have a 383 stroker for that one.My 54 was running until it went to paint.Paint will be done in a couple weeks.54 has a stock 350 with auto trans,air,power stearing,etc.I think I need more power,can I put a blower on this truck and still keep air,etc
hogfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:45 AM   #2
47 Fasttoys

Re: Blower

I have seen a few SBC with blowers and AC/PS etc. It's easiest if you use a Paxton centrifugal type or a small B@M style. If you go with a 6-71 roots type things get a little more challenging for sure but with enough time and cash it can be done. My only issue with blowers is 90% of cars running them end up being trailer queens or week-end drivers at best.
Rob
Old 03-24-2016, 07:59 AM   #3
1project2many

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: There's a lot to putting a supercharger on a carburated, non-computerized engine and making it live and be driveable every day. You can do it, and you can get kits for a Paxton or Vortech style supercharger that will work with the factory accessories. But the money and work to do it right isn't small imo. I don't know what year 350 you've got but I know a good set of heads, intake manifold, and free flowing exhaust can wake most older stock engines up without the added complexity of a blower.

If you really want forced induction I'd recommend planning the install from the beginning. Start with EFI as it has computerized spark and fuel control. The computer does a much better job of accounting for all the conditions that the truck will see when it's driving and it can change spark or fuel when needed.

Last edited by 1project2many; 03-24-2016 at 08:06 AM.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:49 AM   #4
hogfarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47 Fasttoys View Post
I have seen a few SBC with blowers and AC/PS etc. It's easiest if you use a Paxton centrifugal type or a small B@M style. If you go with a 6-71 roots type things get a little more challenging for sure but with enough time and cash it can be done. My only issue with blowers is 90% of cars running them end up being trailer queens or week-end drivers at best.
I am sure this truck will not be my daily driver. These trucks are just for fun. The blower idea might be to much for me. It was just a thought
Rob
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-24-2016, 01:21 PM   #5
OrrieG

Go find someone with a blown engine car and get a long ride in traffic, on the road, etc. to get a feel for what it is really like to run one. Ask him how much time he spends messing with it vs. driving it. I know nothing about building blower motors, but suspect a lot has to be done internally too to take the additional pressure. Previous comments point to potential fatal (for the engine at least) problems if the fuel mix gets a little off. Another option would be to find a factory supercharged engine. Take a look at the threads in this link for more info.

https://www.google.com/search?q=fact...hrome&ie=UTF-8
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 01:54 PM   #6
mr48chev

Had to find you on the map, As the crow flies you aren't that far away from me.

Engine wise you have to make sure the bottom end of the engine is up to running a blower or any other power adding addition. That 350 that will book down to Portland/Vancouver for a rod trot or cruise night for years might not be up to the extra stress that a blower adds. Plus from experience the more power you have the more you get on it.

To make it work though you will need the whole package and that includes the right cam, heads and exhaust to get full benefit out of a blower. Otherwise it is just decoration on top of the engine at car shows.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 05:51 PM   #7
Stepside Jim

Oh yeah, a blower, that's something I can talk about now.

This is in my '57. The below pictures are from the first night I was checking for fitment issues.

I have about 700 miles with the blower on a 396. Absolutly love it!!!

Just took a 300 mile cruise this weekend. Power is always on tap, either off idle or running with traffic at 70 mph.

I read up on blowers for weeks before committing. If your gonna drive your truck for distances and want a "roots" style unit, look into one with a serpentine belt vs the cog belt.

Look into your cubic inch and find the one that maches your engine's needs.

A fuel injection system would be nice but my carb is working great after doing the blower alteration to it.

I'll leave it at that for now. Oh, did I mention, I love it.
Old 03-25-2016, 01:07 AM   #8
fredscarryall

Here is mine. Check out my build. It took a lot more planning and money to set up my truck for a blower then I expected. The engine isn't to radical with a single carb weiend blower. It has a 327 crank, Keith black rods, forged Pistons, small port heads with 9.5:1 compression, and a duel profile cam. I have roller rockers,But that really limited my accessory brackets because I had to run taller profile valve covers. Will add another 150 horse to the motor.
Attached Images

fredscarryall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:55 AM   #9
hogfarm

After all the advice here I think I will just leave it alone,it is a good driveing truck (if I can ever get it back from painter) if I get the need for speed I can always drive my 58
Old 03-25-2016, 11:47 AM   #10
ptc

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfarm View Post
After all the advice here I think I will just leave it alone,it is a good driveing truck (if I can ever get it back from painter) if I get the need for speed I can always drive my 58
Dont let all the JMO drive you away from what you want to do. No disrespect to anyones opinion, but if you havent worked on.... or with blowers, superchargers, turbos or any type of power adders to an engine then you probably shouldnt be giving your two cents worth. Sorry but thats a simple truth.

All of these power adders can be made to be 'street-able' and at much less cost than most people think if you are willing to do alot of footwork. If you buy NEW stuff from your local Chevy dealer or hotrod supplier youre gonna be bent over backwards!....

Listen to the guys that have 'done it'.... they have good information, talk to them ONLY.... they know what NOT TO DO.... they have experienced it.

All of the power adders can be done with any accessories on the front of an engine. The engine internals need to meet the specs of whatever you are boosting it for, but typically for anything that creates BOOST will need lower compression no more than 9:1 and a mild cam with lobe separation that meets with a boost spec. Your fuel system has to be boost referenced, etc.

You just have to do it right and then it will be good to go... and mind you these 7.0 - 10.0 and less cars are driving to the race track and racing and driving home at 20 mpg!

When they are not on boost, they dont use much gas, low compression, low cam durations. its the best of all worlds.

Watch this -

http://youtu.be/3GQxXT0BpB4

Heres Tom's New car

Old 03-25-2016, 03:34 PM   #11
1project2many

Quote:
Dont let all the JMO drive you away from what you want to do. No disrespect to anyones opinion, but if you havent worked on.... or with blowers, superchargers, turbos or any type of power adders to an engine then you probably shouldnt be giving your two cents worth. Sorry but thats a simple truth.
I stand by what I said. Experience backs it up.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 01:37 PM   #12
ptc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
I stand by what I said. Experience backs it up.
And I don't disagree with anything you stated.... the build has to be correct for a blower and it can be very very expensive IF you don't watch what you are doing. No argument there at all.