The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-27-2016, 10:58 AM   #1
85square

K20 Chassis

Hey guys, long time lurker but i don't post much so ill use this as a little introduction thread i guess. I own an 85 k10 thats in pretty good shape for this area. I live in NY so its hard to find clean old trucks. Ive had it for about 3 years now. Haven't done much to it besides rims/tires and swapped the old 700r4 for an sm465. I recently decided to go all out and build my truck from the ground up so yesterday i went and picked up a 3/4 ton chassis that i plan on building how i want it then just drop my body onto it. So i got it home and then realized that there was a crack that was previously welded at the rear spring mount which seems like a very common place on these trucks. I'd really like to use this frame because it is better than the one under my k10 but I'm not sure if its a good idea with a welded frame. Everything else besides that looks good, especially for NY. So my question is would you use this frame or scrap it? Pictures are from my iPhone so they're not the greatest.
Attached Images

85square is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 11:08 AM   #2
nonstop

Re: K20 Chassis

If the weld is done properly, by all means, use it! Worst case scenario is that you plate it and repair the area again. The frame looks like it is in good shape. I wouldn't scrap it.
nonstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 11:15 AM   #3
85square

Re: K20 Chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstop View Post
If the weld is done properly, by all means, use it! Worst case scenario is that you plate it and repair the area again. The frame looks like it is in good shape. I wouldn't scrap it.
Thanks, I really would like to use it. The weld definitely looks like it was done correctly but I'm going to plate it anyway.
85square is offline   Reply With Quote