The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-28-2016, 12:27 PM   #1
68c10owner

reman power steering pump issue

Over the weekend I replaced my leaking power steering pump with a reman unit from Autozone. I believe it is a Duralast unit. Anyway, at idle and slow speed the steering is tight and kind of "sticky" for lack of a better word. As I speed up it smooths out and works like it should. My original pump never acted this way. Pretty sure I bled the system completely but guess its possible for air to still be in the system. It was slightly groaning this morning but when I checked the fluid level after dropping the kids at school it was low so I topped it off but that didnt stop the "sticky" steering feel. Is this common with reman pumps? I wanted to get a ACDelco but nobody had one in stock locally and I needed to fix this asap. Just need to know if this is how its going to be or if I might have gotten a faulty pump.
Old 03-28-2016, 01:36 PM   #2
Dead Parrot

Re: reman power steering pump issue

My Autozone reman is still working fine after 20 or so years. Standard 'sample size of 1 disclaimer'.

If you managed to get some fluid on the pulley or belt, it might be slipping a bit at slow engine speeds. That can cause an odd feel that will go away at higher speeds. Not being tight enough can cause the same thing.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:42 PM   #3
68c10owner

Re: reman power steering pump issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Parrot View Post
My Autozone reman is still working fine after 20 or so years. Standard 'sample size of 1 disclaimer'.

If you managed to get some fluid on the pulley or belt, it might be slipping a bit at slow engine speeds. That can cause an odd feel that will go away at higher speeds. Not being tight enough can cause the same thing.
Its plenty tight but that makes sense about fluid on the pulley. My old pump was leaking from the shaft and the belts and the other pulleys did get fluid on them. I guess the belts are due for replacement anyway so Ill try that and clean the pulleys and see what happens.