The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-30-2016, 10:39 PM   #1
Shugalou

This doesn't look right - cooling system

So I wanted to clean up behind the overflow tank before I do a flush and I noticed a couple things while cleaning all the grime off.

1. It looks like this connection on the rad has leaked and been repaired at some point...how reliable is a repair like this? I haven't really tested the truck out much since acquiring but it hasn't leaked from this location..although there was a fair bit of grease and grime around the area.

Name:  IMG_3581.JPG
Views: 139
Size:  95.9 KB

2. It looks these hoses at some point got put on over the pipes but it looks like there should be something mounted around this hole - as the rubber hoses are rubbing against metal - at the very least I will split a rubber hose to potect but I'm wondering what is supposed to be here.

Name:  IMG_3580.JPG
Views: 144
Size:  97.4 KB

Thanks guys

Newspaper Article Publishing the quest find my dad's old truck
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle12494281/
Shugalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 12:00 AM   #2
1774btcrew

Re: This doesn't look right - cooling system

I agree with Chaplain. The lines are going to a transmission cooler and they ran them through that hole instead of making a new one.

1972 Cheyenne Super Short Bed big block "Blackie"
1977 Crew Cab GMC Short bed with 4BT Intercooled Cummins Diesel and a 4L80e "The Junkyard Dog"
1985 Crew Cab Chevy dually with 5.9 Cummins "The Big Dog" This is what my dad liked to be called by the grandkids before he passed so it seems fitting for his old truck.
1774btcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 12:59 AM   #3
burban nate

It's hard to tell in the picture but the repair in #1 looks to be solder. If it is that is the best repair for a leak in a copper brass radiator. However, it can also be done incorrectly, but the picture looks like it flowed out and got a good bite into the metal. I wouldn't worry about it if it's not leaking.

Nate
Old 03-31-2016, 08:56 AM   #4
Shugalou

Chaplain - Thank you for clarification on that one...It didn't even occur to me that the hole was for the air intake.

1774 Yeah I figured those hoses were for the trans cooler just didn't look right I'll have to find out where they are originally ment to go...it's not a hi priority to correct this (maybe if I upgrade the cooler down the road) for now I'll just put some rubber hose around the metal.

Burban thanks for the insight - I'll hold off on replacing this for now and keep my eye on it...When the time comes I think I'll put an aluminum replacement unit and upgrade the metal fan blade - I researched putting fans in and it gets pricey

Guys I really appreciate the help it makes me a little more confident to take this out and test it.

Newspaper Article Publishing the quest find my dad's old truck
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle12494281/
Shugalou is offline   Reply With Quote