The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-01-2016, 10:32 PM   #1
Techstudent

Older K10 (daily driver?)

Hi All,

I am going to take a look at this tomorrow. 4x4 with 250 straight six and 4-speed. Looks like an older paint job - sprayed over the locks, etc? and while owner says "solid body" in the ad, looks from the photos like cab corners might need attention. Advertised as "Runs Great and tight drive train".

I had a 77 Nova with a carbed 250 inline six and probably, hands down, one of the most reliable engines I've had.

My Isuzu Trooper is shot and I am thinking if this thing is at least marginally tighter then I will be happy. Worth considering as cheap transportation or does it look like more of a project truck?

Thanks!
Attached Images

Techstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:20 PM   #2
mud.man.rj

Re: Older K10 (daily driver?)

Let us know how it looks and how it works out for you, some work there by the sound of it but all depends what they want for it and what you have planned.
mud.man.rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:21 PM   #3
Willowrun

How many miles are you driving in a day on average?
Willowrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:29 PM   #4
mud.man.rj

Good question, prob average around 10mpg.
Old 04-02-2016, 12:03 AM   #5
Techstudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud.man.rj View Post
Good question, prob average around 10mpg.
Wow, that is low! Even with the six huh? Gearing I suppose? I don't drive that much, mostly around town but do like the occasional joy ride.

I may go take a look for curiosity sake. If it runs well and is, in fact, fairly tight, I'll mull it over. I like old iron but maybe need to be more practical and less nostalgic.
Old 04-02-2016, 12:57 AM   #6
mud.man.rj

You never know, with a good tune up and just putter around may get around 14mpg, still normal for a full size truck.
Old 04-03-2016, 03:25 AM   #7
andrewmp6

Its a 4x4 truck with the aerodynamics of a brick,Gas mileage your gonna seen low teens maybe 15 if you keep your foot out of it.Will it be relieable just depends what shape its in and how well its been taken care of.I would do a full tune up and change all the fluids in it and look everything else over see if i find anything that needs to be replaced.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:29 AM   #8
1968vetL-71

The sad part is with all of todays technology and all the electronics, fuel injection, blah blah blah.... My newer crew cab 4x4 only gets 18mpg. So 40+ years later and only a few mpg better. Thats why 12-16 mpg in an older truck is all right with me.

I agree, a tune up and a few upgrades i wouldn't hesitate too drive that everyday. What people don't realize is when those trucks were new, they were driven across country and put too use just like trucks of today. With a little age it just makes us skeptical. As soon as my older crew is done, my newer one is going bye bye. Until the wife complains about no heated seats or a sunroof. LOL!!
1968 belair 2door post #s 427/385
1936 ford 5w coupe dads 1st car
1969 camaro ss (17,xxx) miles

Wanted: 69-72 suburban project, 69 camaro convertible. also any big block cars. 69-70 gto judge project.
1968vetL-71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 01:57 PM   #9
Techstudent

Grateful for the feedback guys and I did take a look at this thing (and a drive) yesterday.

Cool old truck and the body is actually pretty solid save the cab corners. I think had it been in a bit better condition I would have jumped on it but he is asking $3200 and while it did run up the road pretty well, just needed a bit more work than I'm looking to do.

The engine actually sounded great but leaking like a sieve (possibly only a valve cover leak) and I didn't check if original, cracked windshield, missing original seat, interior a bit rough, hood had a bend, dents, etc. I sure didn't expect perfection but was hoping it was just a bit tighter.

I do think a great base for someone wanting to build one but I don't know what a reasonable price would be. I am happy to pass on a phone number if someone at the forum is interested in it.

Thanks again!
Old 04-03-2016, 02:36 PM   #10
enaberif

You have to ask yourself if you can live with an old truck with no amenities or if modern amenities are important.

For myself trying to daily drive a 74 K10 was just not in the cards for me. I learned as a daily driver I prefer something with fuel injection and a way to remote start if I need be.
enaberif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:33 PM   #11
Deerslayer239

Good thing is Parts are cheaper than almost anything on the road!!
Deerslayer239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 01:56 AM   #12
andrewmp6

1968vetl-71 my brothers bone stock 01 f150 4x4 is lucky to see 12mpg highway.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:42 AM   #13
SilverMiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techstudent View Post
Grateful for the feedback guys and I did take a look at this thing (and a drive) yesterday.

Cool old truck and the body is actually pretty solid save the cab corners. I think had it been in a bit better condition I would have jumped on it but he is asking $3200 and while it did run up the road pretty well, just needed a bit more work than I'm looking to do.

The engine actually sounded great but leaking like a sieve (possibly only a valve cover leak) and I didn't check if original, cracked windshield, missing original seat, interior a bit rough, hood had a bend, dents, etc. I sure didn't expect perfection but was hoping it was just a bit tighter.

I do think a great base for someone wanting to build one but I don't know what a reasonable price would be. I am happy to pass on a phone number if someone at the forum is interested in it.

Thanks again!
Hows she goin, Techstudent! First time I've noticed your posts here, hope Butte is the same as I left it back when I was an OreDigger.

At first I thought $3200 was way too high for the Montana market, but after checking over the local craigslist I was surprised to see many trucks in similar condition for that much and more. I think you can do better if you have time to wait or can look further away. Over in my market here in North Idaho that would have been a $1200 to $1500 rig at the most, and I've recently seen much nicer from $1800 to $2400. If the low $3K range is your budget, you have a very good chance to get a decent rig you can be happy with.

A '73 to '91 squarebody is an excellent choice for running around Butte and SW Montana. I'm still daily driving the 78 Jimmy I drove all through Tech. One further thing to consider is how far you live from home base and whether or not you want to drive an old truck 10 hours across Montana to get home to Broadus or Wolfpoint on breaks. Definitely can be done, has been done, and no doubt many still are doing it. Just make sure it's what you want to do.
Old 04-05-2016, 01:39 PM   #14
slotard

Around here short beds seem to carry a significant premium, so unless you really want one a long bed might make more sense.