The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-03-2016, 10:07 AM   #1
50dude

moving steering box confused

ok i moved my steering box 1 3/4 in 50 chev ive read a thousand posts how people say there using existing mounting location in cab im really confused at that my column is at least a 1 1/2 off what am i missing
50dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 01:48 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: moving steering box confused

Not a thing. that is normal. I think we moved the bracket over or rigged a different bracket when we did mine in the mid 70's. I know I didn't modify the dash to do it. I'm not exactly what we used for the clamp to clamp the column to the dash. My buddy in Waco Tx that helped me do it was a mad genius when it came to figuring out how to make things work and do it simply. He may have used a muffler clamp rather than the regular clamp if we used a clamp at all. We did the swap in a weekend and maybe a night or two after work in his father in law's shop where we both worked at the time.

I was running a 59 Corvette wheel (that I wish I still had) at the time that was a couple of inches smaller than the stock wheel.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 03:11 PM   #3
MARTINSR

I have only did it once, years ago. When I did I used a piece of a spare frame and welded it right there at the same spot on the frame to bring the box out the distance of the frame..1 1/2"? I trimmed the hole in the firewall to match and as I remember I don't think I moved it at the dash at all the column was at a slight angle.....as I remember. But the recess in the dash for the column is off to the right compared to the gauges.

See how the hole is closer to the speedometer of that.

So you could cut that, move it to the left and put it where it is suppose to be to match the moved over box!

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 04:01 PM   #4
50dude

thanks guys just need a different opinion besides me staring at it ha
50dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 05:27 PM   #5
nvrdone

I moved mine years a go. box is moved 1.5" to the left, firewall is trimmed to clear column, dash bracket is the factory stock one in the original position. the wheel is moved slightly right but after 40+ years of driving it this way, I don't notice the difference
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 06:50 PM   #6
Joe Dial

Too late since you already moved it, but the 60's and 70's Ford pickups had the engine offset 2" to the right. When I put a 350 in my 54 GMC ,I offset it the same--no need to move the steering gear. I used rams horn manifolds and it worked perfectly. Just a hint to help someone else. Joe
Joe Dial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:48 AM   #7
47 Fasttoys

As an interesting note the 47-53 larger trucks use the same dash and use an off-set (to the left) column mounting bracket. It puts the column in the center of the gauges and drops it a little. Mine has one. Not the best shot. the right leg is hidden by the wheel.
Rob