The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-26-2003, 12:25 PM   #1
BigRed

Kill Switch Designs

Because of the rash of stolen vehicles lately, I have been considering a kill switch for my burb.

I thought it would be nice if those that have them could offer up some nice ideas for these. You may not want to give out the location for the switch, but just the basic design and layout.

Thanks!
Old 09-26-2003, 01:22 PM   #2
PHOENIX

I removed the nuetral safety switch (manual trans) which attaches to the clutch pedal when it went bad. I replaced it with a toggle switch (in a different location of course). I can start the truck in gear. If you have a manual you can keep your clutch switch and just put a toggle switch in before or after the clutch switch and do the same thing.

HERE is another theft deterrent system I found very affective.

Last edited by PHOENIX; 09-26-2003 at 06:04 PM.
PHOENIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 03:34 PM   #3
Low87on20s
Live from Atlanta

Not everyone has two gas tanks, but I just set my fuel tank selector switch in the middle of the two selections. In that position, the truck will never start.
Old 09-26-2003, 04:27 PM   #4
Prerunner1982

big red, your sub should be equiped with the bright switch on the column right? you could get a floor button type switch and wire it into your wiring for the dist. The dist. wont get any spark but the truck will crank. it should be a large wire. that is what i did but i used a toggle switch and hide it. you could hide the switch in a number of places, under the dash, in your ash tray, i have quite a few switch all of which are unmarked so guessing which one would be the trick, even though the correct switch is fairly hidden. if i didnt already have a floor mounted bright switch, that would have been my choice. most thiefs in a hurry probably wouldnt even realize. you could also in conjunction with this switch put a regular battery switch to totally disable the electrical system.
Oklahoma Roll Call
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 10:36 PM   #5
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I like to use a relay to break the neutral safety switch. This prevents the truck from turning over at all. If they try to hot wire it, they never know if they have the correct wires shorted because it won't turn over.

If you don't smoke, you can put a keyed switch in the lighter hole. Use the type that has two positions to remove the key. That way you can remove the key in the on position, or off position...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 12:01 AM   #6
BigRed

Thanks for the great ideas guys. I really like the idea of a keyed switch in the ash tray. Never thought of that. I work for an electronics distributor, so switches are easy to come by and cheap.