The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-09-2016, 10:23 PM   #1
Roger in Republic

Frame rails

This is a question that jumps generations. I am thinking about replacing my 1977 C10 with a newer truck. I want to go newer than 87 to replace my plow truck. The question is : Is the distance between the frame rails different between the 73-87 and the newer models of half ton 4x4's I'd like to get in to the 90-95 model range. The plow parts cataloges don't go back to my model year as the plow is a 74 -75 model and the mount was custom made to fit my 1977 farm truck. Thanks for your time.
Roger in Republic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:15 AM   #2
cadillac_al

Re: Frame rails

I'm 90% sure those 90's trucks with 90's mounts will hook up to a 70's plow. I just discussed this a couple weeks ago with my buddy but my memory doesn't last that long. I will be seeing him again in a couple days so I will have him remind me again. He has both and I'm pretty sure he swapped them back and forth to move them.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:19 PM   #3
slotard

When I asked about putting my '73 cab on a newer frame I was told that the spacing is different but I don't know if that applies at the bumper mount or just at the cab mounts.
Old 04-10-2016, 05:20 PM   #4
Roger in Republic

AL. My mount was made for my truck. More modern plows use a set of lugs bolted to the frame rails that "quick Connect" to the plow. Mine has a large plate with ears that pin to the plow. My problem is that I am way out in the woods and and I am almost housebound. It is hard for me to get out and measure the rails on any newer trucks. I would hate to drive 80 miles to see a truck and then find that it is too wide or too narrow to work. I could shim it a little if it was too narrow but too wide would make it impossible to get a good fit. Our only really good fabricator had a problem with Meth and seems to have disappeared.

I guess I will have to get my tape measure out and go to town and measure all the trucks in the Tavern parking lot. I hope I don't get shot for my trouble.
Old 04-10-2016, 05:31 PM   #5
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Just slide over to the 88-98 forum and ask someone for measurements. I imagine you'll get an answer fairly quickly without ever leaving the house. Surely there are enough builds going on in that forum someone can measure and send a photo even if you needed.

I'll see if my frame books might have some measurements for you, just not sure how far back they go to be honest.
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 06:49 PM   #6
ray_mcavoy

I think the 88-98 frames are a bit wider. But in addition to that, the whole front section is a boxed construction (not open C-channel). So I don't think 73-87 plow mounts are going to come any where near close to bolting on to an 88-98 frame.

Here is a good pic of an 88-98 frame from this thread --> http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/sh...hp?tid/254076/
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:36 PM   #7
Roger in Republic

wow! That looks a lot wider than mine. If I do get a newer truck I may have to take my mount into the "Big City" and have it modified. Thanks to you all for the trouble.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:03 AM   #8
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

The mitchell online frame information does not go past the GMT400 era. Here is a shot of a 96 K1500 if it helps you any at all.
Attached Images

When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 01:42 PM   #9
Roger in Republic

Thanks Randy. All of this is good dope.