The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-12-2016, 10:41 PM   #1
GA Cowboy

Molding Options?

I'm new to this forum but it seems to have a lot of knowledgeable people on it, so I decided to ask a few questions. I just recently purchased a '72 GMC 1500 and it has no molding. Was it an option on these trucks to have no molding or did someone before me remove it? I'm also wondering how tough/acceptable it would be for me to add molding to it. I've looked around but I can't seem to find anything with answers to these questions which is why I came here.
GA Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:50 PM   #2
1972BlueC20

Re: Molding Options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Cowboy View Post
I'm new to this forum but it seems to have a lot of knowledgeable people on it, so I decided to ask a few questions. I just recently purchased a '72 GMC 1500 and it has no molding. Was it an option on these trucks to have no molding or did someone before me remove it? I'm also wondering how tough/acceptable it would be for me to add molding to it. I've looked around but I can't seem to find anything with answers to these questions which is why I came here.
I have no personal experience with molding as I haven't had to remove or replace any of mine yet. I plan to redo all my molding one day to at minimum repaint some of the black highlights but also definitely would replace all the molding if I one day get my truck repainted.

I stand to be corrected, and it may not be all the molding, but I think there are holes in the body behind where the molding would go that accepts clips for the molding to attach to. Some molding may be held on by adhesive as well....Again I may be completely off base and wrong so wait for others to chime in....but I think I remember looking at parts catalogs for the new moldings, the diagrams show little square holes in the body of the truck behind the moldings.

If this is true, and you don't have any holes (as in they were filled in by a previous owner during a respray) then you would really have your work cut out for you no pun intended.

I am interested in hearing what others say so I can know if I am right or not. For your sake, maybe the moldings are adhesive based. Or maybe there is an adhesive only molding option
Old 04-12-2016, 10:56 PM   #3
1972BlueC20

also, a picture of your truck as it is along with a picture of a truck with the kind of molding you would like to add would help others help you find the best solution or course of action to take to get molding onto your truck

plus, we all love seeing pics of these trucks!!!
Old 04-12-2016, 11:17 PM   #4
GA Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972BlueC20 View Post
also, a picture of your truck as it is along with a picture of a truck with the kind of molding you would like to add would help others help you find the best solution or course of action to take to get molding onto your truck

plus, we all love seeing pics of these trucks!!!
These are the only pictures I have so far, a few of them are from the old ad that I had saved. I'll have some more within the next couple of days, I have more on my phone but it's not with me. So far I've only looked at the LMC molding.
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2016, 11:23 PM   #5
1972BlueC20

Quote:
These are the only pictures I have so far, a few of them are from the old ad that I had saved. I'll have some more within the next couple of days, I have more on my phone but it's not with me. So far I've only looked at the LMC molding.
Very nice truck sir!!!
Old 04-12-2016, 10:58 PM   #6
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

You're in the same boat I am. At some point we need to dial in where all the holes go. The assembly manual has the measurements, but there's no substitute for hands on, and with the assembly manual the reference points are a guide at best, because you don't know where they were measuring from. There's some decent information available.

To answer your question, I can't speak for Cheyenne, but the moldings were an option on the Custom Deluxe. I'd imagine the same applies to the Cheyenne. The correct configuration is the same Deluxe Vs Cheyenne, difference being Cheyenne had wood grain lower moldings and Custom Deluxe had black. Also, the Cheyenne had the wood grain panel on the tailgate, where Custom Deluxe had a painted Chevrolet and a lower molding.

Don't know if moldings came on a standard Custom, but I assume so, though rare. If so then they'd be like the Custom Deluxe, where a Super Cheyenne is same as a Cheyenne.

Note: In one form or another, I believe original moldings should be captured by the SPID.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 04-12-2016 at 11:15 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 12:17 AM   #7
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

No kidding. Very nice truck.

From what I hear MAR-K makes the best after-market moldings. You can buy NOS, but that will run you about 30% more.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 04-13-2016, 05:23 PM   #8
GA Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972BlueC20 View Post
Very nice truck sir!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
No kidding. Very nice truck.

From what I hear MAR-K makes the best after-market moldings. You can buy NOS, but that will run you about 30% more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy51 View Post
Great looking truck! Nice find. Welcome to the Forum.
Thanks everyone, the truck needs some work but it's mechanically sound. Most of the work is just removing the small bit of rust, applying new emblems, and deciding what to do on the paint. I'm not so sure where I stand on the green, but I may keep it.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:39 AM   #9
SS Tim

Without seeing a SPID its hard to guess exactly what you have. But from the pictures provided it appears to be a Z62 with some enhancements. At that trim level both the belt and lower bodyside trim would have been optional. So it could be added if you must...
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 12:40 PM   #10
GA Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
Without seeing a SPID its hard to guess exactly what you have. But from the pictures provided it appears to be a Z62 with some enhancements. At that trim level both the belt and lower bodyside trim would have been optional. So it could be added if you must...
I'll try to get a photo of the SPID, thanks for the answer.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:42 PM   #11
GA Cowboy

Quote:
I'll try to get a photo of the SPID, thanks for the answer.
Took a photo of the SPID.
Attached Images

Old 04-13-2016, 07:41 PM   #12
SS Tim

Quote:
EDIT Actually its not a Z62 but a base trim Custom.

As such it was fairly plain.
White painted front bumper
Optional silver step bumper
White wheels and hub caps
Blackwall tires

While the chrome exterior moldings were optional they tend to look out of place on a base model. The two biggest reasons IMHO are the painted bumper/s and the fact the window opening chrome was not included with the stand alone moldings. So even if you ordered the upper or lower bodyside (or both) the windshield, backglass and vetilators did not get the chrome a higher trim level included.

If it were my truck I'd keep it as is. The paint looks to be in good shape so learn to like the color and enjoy the truck. While it is a base truck it is well equipped as a working truck.
Inside isn't exactly original but it is nice and the carpet upgrade is understandable.

About the only addition I would suggest, if you must, is add the D89 pinstripe. It ran along the same basic line as the upper bodyside/belt molding and in this case it should be white but I need to confirm that since it was non-selective.
It would again IMHO be much more in keeping with the trim level it was ordered in.

The later rally wheels are a personal choice....

Last edited by SS Tim; 04-14-2016 at 12:31 AM. Reason: pinstripe color correction
Old 04-13-2016, 09:28 PM   #13
GA Cowboy

Quote:
EDIT Actually its not a Z62 but a base trim Custom.

As such it was fairly plain.
White painted front bumper
Optional silver step bumper
White wheels and hub caps
Blackwall tires

While the chrome exterior moldings were optional they tend to look out of place on a base model. The two biggest reasons IMHO are the painted bumper/s and the fact the window opening chrome was not included with the stand alone moldings. So even if you ordered the upper or lower bodyside (or both) the windshield, backglass and vetilators did not get the chrome a higher trim level included.

If it were my truck I'd keep it as is. The paint looks to be in good shape so learn to like the color and enjoy the truck. While it is a base truck it is well equipped as a working truck.
Inside isn't exactly original but it is nice and the carpet upgrade is understandable.

About the only addition I would suggest, if you must, is add the D89 pinstripe. It ran along the same basic line as the upper bodyside/belt molding and in this case would have been black.
It would again IMHO be much more in keeping with the trim level it was ordered in.

The later rally wheels are a personal choice....
Thanks for the info, you're right I'm going to stick with the color, you don't see many green trucks anymore so I think it gives in some personality. I'll look into the pinstripe.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:57 AM   #14
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

As for the majority of the information I gave you, it's not that I know what I'm talking about, it's more SSTim knows what he's talking about.

Say Tim, I take back that I don't like the yellow. I saw one recently with a fresh paint job, and that really makes a difference.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:44 AM   #15
frenchy51

Great looking truck! Nice find. Welcome to the Forum.
1977 GMC HeavyHalf
several adopted orphans
frenchy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:41 PM   #16
flashed

Maybe you can drive it up to the Canton Cruise In at Public's sometime ,Im usually there with my orange 72 .It's on the 3rd saturday each month and there is one in downtown Jasper this saturday I hope to get to ,would love to see your truck .
And WELCOME .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:50 PM   #17
GA Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
Maybe you can drive it up to the Canton Cruise In at Public's sometime ,Im usually there with my orange 72 .It's on the 3rd saturday each month and there is one in downtown Jasper this saturday I hope to get to ,would love to see your truck .
And WELCOME .
Thanks for the heads up, hopefully I'll be able to make it out to one soon.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:49 PM   #18
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

I agree with Tim. Keep what you have. That's a nice color and moldings would be out of place at this point. If it were me and I wanted another trim level, then I'd buy another truck.......but what you have is real nice and not easily replaced.

Incidentally, I didn't even capture your entire OP, here I'm giving advice. GMC, I know little about them. These come with black lowers only? What are the tailgate options? Sierra = Cheyenne?

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 04-13-2016 at 10:56 PM.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:59 PM   #19
Mmorgan32

I had the same truck. I still regret selling it. Wife made me when she got pregnant. I love that green. Especially on the gmcs. Mine had a white roof no trim and a chrome bumper. I like the no trim look on the green gmcs I think the it looks cleaner
Old 04-14-2016, 12:25 AM   #20
SS Tim

D89 pinstripes, they came in black or white. Most were white and matched the tailgate panel.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=544757