The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-14-2016, 02:39 AM   #1
Cooper197

Camshaft

The old leaky radiator totally gave up on my '66 today, so when looking at replacements I started to think about the cam that's in the truck.

It has a 350 in it, and is going in for exhaust next week, but I got to thinking.

It shouldn't be *that* much more work to change the cam when the radiator is out right? Meaning that with the radiator out, and removing the radiator support/grille, the cam could be taken out of the front without disassembling the whole motor?

I'm not looking to do the job myself if I do have the cam done, just figured if the radiator is already having to come out...maybe it's a good time to think about it?

Good idea? Bad idea? Also if it would be a better time, does anybody have an estimate on cost?

Thanks guys!
Cooper197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:30 AM   #2
vince1

Re: Camshaft

Never looked close at one but unless the lifters can be pulled up through the heads they will have to come off. If that is the case, IMO might as well pull the engine.
vince1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:37 AM   #3
lowbuck

Now would be the time to change it, intake manifold,water pump and timing cover will have to come off. I would install a mild RV style cam like a melling's MTC-1
lowbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:38 AM   #4
lowbuck

You can pull the lifters with out pulling off the heads.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:40 PM   #5
Cooper197

Thanks for the replies guys.
After some more thinking, I've decided to hold off and just throw in a new radiator.
I love the sound of hotrods with big cams in them, and that's what I want. When I started thinking about it, I want the sound of a bigger cam than it would even make sense to put in the stock 350. I think I'll hold off and keep putting some money aside so I can decide if I'm going to build the 350, or go with a 6.2 out of a newer Denali. Either way, doing the cam now just doesn't seem like the right idea.
Cooper197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 04:32 PM   #6
forestb

You are making the right decision unless you are doing the work yourself and you know what you are doing. You would have to pull all the rockers which is not all that hard. It is putting it all together and having it run smooth that is the problem. Also be careful when getting a new cam. Make sure you have someone that knows what they are doing when you pick one out. I got to big of a cam and I could not produce enough vacuum to run my power breaks. If you have a manual transmission that will not be a problem. It also put to much force on my rockers which in turn bent some pushrods and pulled out some studs. Ended up having to get heads rebuilt and new cam installed along with a bunch of other parts.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:40 AM   #7
BigSix

Put one in! Its inexpensive and even if you go the 6.2 route you will just have enjoyed a lot more power until then. Plus the buyer of your 350 will like you the additional cost of the cam. Just don't get a totally off-brand cam that is going to wipe out. And make sure you mark which lifter goes where. You won't regret a good low end cam and aluminum intake.
BigSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 11:19 AM   #8
lowbuck

I agree with big six, small block chev's wear out the front cam lobes, Do not ever reuse lifters with a new cam. A new mellings RV cam and lifters from a wholesaler will cost you around $160 or less. It will wake up you small block with out any other modifications to the engine.