The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-20-2016, 09:37 PM   #1
Possmguts

Front roll pan... Cutting frame to install?

I didn't realize the frame horns had to be cut to install a roll pan... Frame is already painted so now I'm not so sure I'm going to go through with it or not...

67 Short Bed under major construction
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=651356&page=8
Possmguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 12:46 AM   #2
Racer382D

Re: Front roll pan... Cutting frame to install?

PLEASE DONT!

Please put a bumper in it.
Racer382D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 12:57 AM   #3
Rod Run

That's no big deal. Just touch up the end of the frame when done. No one is even going to see your touch up.

If something that minor is a show stopper for you, then maybe you should change the quote in your signature
Old 04-21-2016, 07:55 AM   #4
cdowns

if you do cut the frame horns save the cut off pieces tack weld them in the frame rail if you ever want to return them to stock you'll have the pieces
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:30 AM   #5
BugzC10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
if you do cut the frame horns save the cut off pieces tack weld them in the frame rail if you ever want to return them to stock you'll have the pieces
X2. I bought my truck with a roll pan. The PO torched the horns off without regard to accuracy and pitched them out. When I decided I want a bumper and put them back on it was a huge PIA. The measurements have to be exact or you end up with alot of shimming.
Old 04-21-2016, 01:22 PM   #6
Rod Run

Quote:
I wouldn't ever do that, because once I do something I don't worry about going back, but that is a GREAT idea
Old 04-21-2016, 02:20 PM   #7
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Keep the bumper, they look so much better with bumpers
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 02:41 PM   #8
Hellbent
Don't blame the messenger

Quote:
IDEA OF THE DAY! Glad you thought of this... Just what I'm going to do. Thanks!

On the Level
Just a guy with a hammer and a grinder. OH!, and an HOA- enough said...: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372525
"Some drink from the fountain of knowledge while others just gargle."
Hellbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:15 PM   #9
Possmguts

I know, I know... some of you guys cringe at the thought of changing the stock look, but Im doing a "custom" build here... and bumpers just aint custom... so..

I have a valance from a 69 Camaro along with the front spoiler... I will be using the sections of the Camaro valance with the lights in the roll pan for the truck and fitting the spoiler on it as well...

When you do a "one off" build, stuff has to actually be one off...

Along with the hood, the roll pan will tie in and should be all the custom body work I'll do other than a smooth tailgate.

There will be no "torching" of the frame, I promise if that makes you feel better

Old 04-22-2016, 07:53 AM   #10
BugzC10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possmguts View Post
I know, I know... some of you guys cringe at the thought of changing the stock look, but Im doing a "custom" build here... and bumpers just aint custom... so..

I have a valance from a 69 Camaro along with the front spoiler... I will be using the sections of the Camaro valance with the lights in the roll pan for the truck and fitting the spoiler on it as well...

Along with the hood, the roll pan will tie in and should be all the custom body work I'll do other than a smooth tailgate.

There will be no "torching" of the frame, I promise if that makes you feel better
Now that you have cleared the air...cut the bloody horns off and get on with your custom build
Old 04-22-2016, 10:33 PM   #11
Robznob11

Quote:

You have a good vision, I copped out and ran a stock front roll pan. I contemplated using a camaro valance and lights but settled for just the custom one off grille mods.... there is also a yellow truck from several years back that sectioned a 90s bumper with fog lights and cut the bottoms of the front fenders off for a wrap around look. Here is some insperation for you!
Attached Images

,,,,,,,/__(⊙)___//___/__(O)_/

@disciple2.rc 💪instagram💪
LED TAILS
Robznob11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:50 PM   #12
Possmguts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robznob11 View Post
You have a good vision, I copped out and ran a stock front roll pan. I contemplated using a camaro valance and lights but settled for just the custom one off grille mods.... there is also a yellow truck from several years back that sectioned a 90s bumper with fog lights and cut the bottoms of the front fenders off for a wrap around look. Here is some insperation for you!
That looks really cool... Nicely done and not over the top. Theres a fine line a lot of guys cross when doing some of this stuff but you did it well. Do you have a thread on how you did the grille?

I dont know if you have seen these yet, but this is a rendering of what I would like to look something like.... but that grille work scares the hell out of me... I did manage to get the hood done though so far...
Attached Images

Old 04-22-2016, 10:55 PM   #13
Robznob11

That black truck I'm pretty sure is a photo chop. I'm pretty sure you saw the actual works of mine on another thread, when it's back from paint and complete I'll post pics. I decided to run the grille all the way across like in your pic. But I have no full install pics. By the way your hood is killer!
Attached Images

LED TAILS
Old 04-22-2016, 11:12 PM   #14
Possmguts

Quote:
That black truck I'm pretty sure is a photo chop. I'm pretty sure you saw the actual works of mine on another thread, when it's back from paint and complete I'll post pics. I decided to run the grille all the way across like in your pic. But I have no full install pics. By the way your hood is killer!
ahh ok.. I remember now posting on your thread about sending it off to paint jail
I had a LOT of fun in my younger days so my memory is a little slow sometimes lol... Im waiting to see that thing in color. Did you have to make the grille or did a Camaro grill actually fit in there?? Thats the part that scares me about trying it on my build... and the part about boxing the surround area...

Old 04-22-2016, 11:24 PM   #15
Robznob11

Quote:
ahh ok.. I remember now posting on your thread about sending it off to paint jail
I had a LOT of fun in my younger days so my memory is a little slow sometimes lol... Im waiting to see that thing in color. Did you have to make the grille or did a Camaro grill actually fit in there?? Thats the part that scares me about trying it on my build... and the part about boxing the surround area...
I bought 2 70-72 c10 billet grilles and cut them to fit, they have the correct angle bent in. I used one good grille and cut the bar out and used a scrap grille to section pieces in where the bars were. I then had a local metal shop cut me some metal 4" by 3' and used those pieces to weld in and give it the depth. I used 14ga and bent it in on the fenders to clean up the curves. I was originally going to trim out the corners of the fenders but it was going to be a lot of work because the holes for where they bolt on hide behind there and I did not want to weaken them. That curve look on the ends also kinda grew on me and looks aggressive from the front. So I just welded it in and smoothed it up. I trimmed the latch and left a cut out so you can pop the hood still. By the way it tilts forward. I have 1946 Mercury headlight buckets and trim. They are moved inboard 1" and up 1" to achieve a meaner look.

LED TAILS
Old 04-23-2016, 09:32 AM   #16
Possmguts

Quote:
I bought 2 70-72 c10 billet grilles and cut them to fit, they have the correct angle bent in. I used one good grille and cut the bar out and used a scrap grille to section pieces in where the bars were. I then had a local metal shop cut me some metal 4" by 3' and used those pieces to weld in and give it the depth. I used 14ga and bent it in on the fenders to clean up the curves. I was originally going to trim out the corners of the fenders but it was going to be a lot of work because the holes for where they bolt on hide behind there and I did not want to weaken them. That curve look on the ends also kinda grew on me and looks aggressive from the front. So I just welded it in and smoothed it up. I trimmed the latch and left a cut out so you can pop the hood still. By the way it tilts forward. I have 1946 Mercury headlight buckets and trim. They are moved inboard 1" and up 1" to achieve a meaner look.
Thats a lot of work but looks great