The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-22-2016, 03:39 PM   #1
StoningtonQB

Best drop-in distributor?

OK so it looks like there is no saving my stock points distributor. I have used the Pertronix I and later on the Pertronix III, and while they did the job for a while, it's gotten to the point where this dizzy is just too far gone. I'd like to send this out to get rebuilt and converted to HEI, but in the meantime I need something. I don't trust any of the dizzys on eBay, and I don't think at this point that I want to go back to points (ballast resistor is long gone). I also don't want to spend a ton or go with a racing distributor. Any suggestions?
StoningtonQB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 04:20 PM   #2
Swar

Re: Best drop-in distributor?

I wouldn't bother with the HEI, I went with MSD like 10 years ago and I've never had to mess with it. Ran better than ever the second I fired it up.
Swar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 05:21 PM   #3
davepl

I bought a Pertronix stock-bodied distributor with an Ignitor III module in it, and tach issues aside, it's a powerful and reliable setup. It also looks bone stock.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:37 PM   #4
Mr Handy

I decided to go with a Davis Unified Ignition (DUI) and I am very happy so far.
after doing quite a bit of research on different options the DUI seems to be worth the price.
Mr Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:09 PM   #5
MikeB

The MSD Street-Fire is an inexpensive option. Quality-wise it's probably closer to the more expensive MSD products than the no-name eBay specials. And it's backed by MSD.

Also, GM #93440806 is a quality distributor, but has 20 degrees vacuum advance out of the box, which you will probably want to limit 10 degrees. This can be accomplished with an inexpensive Crane kit.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 24 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:12 PM   #6
hugger6933

Check into the MSD ready to run. If the price is a major stumbling block look at a Skip white then put in a Delco module and forgetaboutit.from what I'm reading, the major problems with the skip White HEI is that some have had the modules go out. that is why I recommend the Delco HEI module
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:14 PM   #7
Dave K.

What are you going to do with your Pertronix set-up?
Dave K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:29 PM   #8
leddzepp

I've used several eBay specials (Skip White, etc), no problems.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 11:44 PM   #9
WorkinLonghorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
^^^^ This. I bought a Skip White on E-Bay for around $50 10 years ago, and no problems ever. I had points before and the main difference is that the engine jumps to life when I start it.
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 01:44 AM   #10
El Dorado Jim

I replaced the HEI in my sons truck with a new HEI from Summit, was around $90.00 shipped to my door ready to drop in ,includes cap and coil,has been excellent for a couple of years now
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 07:10 AM   #11
msgross

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
I had a skip white and GM performance and you could barely tell the difference. The GM performance might have spun a bit smoother by hand. $45 compared to $125 (estimates) was a big difference in price for only a small difference in quality. I've always heard great things about the skip white setups, get new plug wires and run a new 12V hot wire from your fuse box.
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 07:53 AM   #12
lowbucktrucks

x2 on the summit, Ive had several. I did have one of them where the pickup went bad but other than that no problems
lowbucktrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:41 AM   #13
frenchy51

Go with a stock HEI-It's a no-brainer. Cheap and reliable.
1977 GMC HeavyHalf
several adopted orphans
frenchy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 12:16 PM   #14
mike16

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy51 View Post
Go with a stock HEI-It's a no-brainer. Cheap and reliable.
x2 . I like the MSD stuff but I put hei's in everything.

I bought an HEI for a pontiac back in 97 for 49 bucks rebuild from NAPA. still kickin

I paid 350 bucks for a drop in MSD . it didn.t give me any problems either
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 12:23 PM   #15
davepl

Every time it comes up, I hear to avoid Chinese knock-off HEI, but that GM HEI is rock-solid up to a decent street RPM.

Are the Skip White and Summit ones made in the US? Anyone know? They seem to have a good rep too.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 03:01 PM   #16
BossHogg69
motor exploder

I have used a D.U.I. distributor - it was a nice unit and kept my big block lit past 6500rpm.

1969 Chevy CST/10 stepside, DART Big M/TREMEC Magnum Extreme/3.73's w/Detroit Truetrac
1965 Chevy Bel Air Wagon (daily driver), 327/TH350,10 bolt w/3.08's
1961 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, ZZ454/M21/9" rear w/3.50's & Detroit Truetrac
2005 GMC 1500 ccsb 2wd, 6.0L/4L65e/3.73 G80
2006 GMC 2500HD ccsb 4x4, DMax LBZ/Allison 6spd/4.56's w/Detroit TrueTrac

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:15 PM   #17
msgross

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
Every time it comes up, I hear to avoid Chinese knock-off HEI, but that GM HEI is rock-solid up to a decent street RPM.

Are the Skip White and Summit ones made in the US? Anyone know? They seem to have a good rep too.
pretty sure the skip white are chinese, but look at the reviews...
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:56 PM   #18
Mr Handy

I have installed 3 Skip White Dizzys in 2 different trucks, and all had the module fail within 500 miles.

I did a bunch of research trying to find one of the "made in USA" distributor people recommend and there are none unless you want to pull a 30 year Distributor out of a junk yard... unless I missed something.

The DUI I installed has at the very least ben touched by someone that can write in English as it is marked on the bottom with an engraving pen 24* at 3000 rpm... and the timing light confirms this to be true.
Mr Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 01:08 AM   #19
jeffahart

The skip white ready to run is most definitely Chinese. I spent more than twice as much on MSD wires than the distributor. Why, because I want thru put. Making a distributor is right up there with a TV set or PC. They are basically all the same and all work. But all things equal. A drop in for a run of the mill pack is fine. But if your building some sort of hypo, then I'm guessing you wouldn't be posting drop in distributor questions.

I bought the skip white because it was cheap and works fine... for the past two years.

Spend your bucks on wires! Want to escape Chinese made car parts? Then move to a different planet... that horse left the barn long ago?
Old 04-24-2016, 11:35 AM   #20
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoningtonQB View Post
OK so it looks like there is no saving my stock points distributor. I have used the Pertronix I and later on the Pertronix III, and while they did the job for a while, it's gotten to the point where this dizzy is just too far gone. I'd like to send this out to get rebuilt and converted to HEI, but in the meantime I need something. I don't trust any of the dizzys on eBay, and I don't think at this point that I want to go back to points (ballast resistor is long gone). I also don't want to spend a ton or go with a racing distributor. Any suggestions?
Do you want to run an original distributor with points ? I have one from a 1969 C10 that had a 307 and 3 on the tree and the truck had 61,000 original miles on it. The truck ran perfect and I changed to a HEI because I could when I bought the truck and sold the truck with the HEI in it. The complete distributor is sitting in my garage so if it will work for you let me know. HEI or Pertronix is really the way to go.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 12:12 PM   #21
pdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
Do you want to run an original distributor with points ? I have one from a 1969 C10 that had a 307 and 3 on the tree and the truck had 61,000 original miles on it. The truck ran perfect and I changed to a HEI because I could when I bought the truck and sold the truck with the HEI in it. The complete distributor is sitting in my garage so if it will work for you let me know. HEI or Pertronix is really the way to go.
I originally did the wrecker thing & pulled an HEI from a car that had fairly low miles on it. It worked great but when I swapped for a ZZ383 I thought I'd 'upgrade' to an MSD Street Fire, as recommended by a mechanic buddy. I was having trouble with with valve noise when the engine was loaded, which indicated too much advance. I dropped in to a local engine shop that has a great rep and he told me to get the MSD out! Some are ok but 1 or 2 in 10 are defective & throw way too much advance at your engine which is detrimental. I'll save you the story but the old guy in the office brought out a new MSD removed from a customers engine & smashed it on the floor to make a point. They put the new GMPP HEI in all their rebuilds. My old one (HEI) lasted for years & is still in working order.
Posted via Mobile Device
pdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 02:38 PM   #22
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg View Post
I originally did the wrecker thing & pulled an HEI from a car that had fairly low miles on it. It worked great but when I swapped for a ZZ383 I thought I'd 'upgrade' to an MSD Street Fire, as recommended by a mechanic buddy. I was having trouble with with valve noise when the engine was loaded, which indicated too much advance. I dropped in to a local engine shop that has a great rep and he told me to get the MSD out! Some are ok but 1 or 2 in 10 are defective & throw way too much advance at your engine which is detrimental. I'll save you the story but the old guy in the office brought out a new MSD removed from a customers engine & smashed it on the floor to make a point. They put the new GMPP HEI in all their rebuilds. My old one (HEI) lasted for years & is still in working order.
Posted via Mobile Device
I had one of these in my previous truck from 2006 until 2014 when i sold and its working good for the new owner.

http://www.msdignition.com/Products/...stributor.aspx

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 03:20 PM   #23
RedRoad

I thought MSD was all imported now, as mentioned many friends have had issues with products in the last 7 years or so.
RedRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 03:30 PM   #24
HO455
Post Whore

I am wondering what has gone wrong with your current set up that is forcing you to make a change. No mass produced distributor is going to drop in and work correctly especially if you have made other changes to the vehicle. The stock unit was a compromise made by GM to balance driveability, warranty issues and COST. Truly the only way you will have a distributor that makes engine run at its best is to have it curved by someone who understands how it is supposed to work and is willing to spend the time to get it right. Most all of your choices are involving a compromise of some sort. Remember that there are many good aftermarket units out there that have quality engineering and good parts but are assembled by minimum wage workers in foreign countries who will never see you. I won't go into all of them but I highly recommend that you tear your's down to double check the assembly process prior to installation. If your planning on long trips or offloading look at the cost of carrying spares if the unit will allow field repairs. HEI's are work well, but are difficult to curve properly as they were designed for low compression smog compliance, plus when they fail it is usually without notice and it is difficult to do field repairs. Pertronix units work well if installed correctly (once again good idea but victim on cheap manufacturing) and if you distributor is worn out or has a bent shaft it won't fix that. The plus is you can for most vehicles switch back to points in the field and get home if it fails. For GM vehicles I use an old 50's or early 60's cast iron unit with a Pertronix unit. The old distributors have much larger bearings, the machining is better and the cast housing is less likely to warp. The ease that the pre-HEI units can be recurved if I change something on the truck (cam, convertor,gears,etc) makes things easier in the long run. This with the peace of mind that a spare set points in the glove box is what makes the choice for me.
Good luck.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:19 PM   #25
StoningtonQB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post
What are you going to do with your Pertronix set-up?
Sold them all on eBay. Two modules, two coils... gone
StoningtonQB is offline   Reply With Quote