The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-23-2016, 10:30 AM   #1
dragn91

Any body run drop shackles and hangers plus a flip kit. C20?

I've had my crew cab c20 lowered with shackles and hangers and front drop spindles plus one coil cut for a wile. I did a rear swap from a newer 14 bolt to get to 6 lug and run my 22 inch transport rims. But now it's sitting kinda like a donk. I have to take my drop spindles off anyway to run the light duty 2500 6 lug components so I'll prob just like with it until I can sell my drop spindles and buy light duty 2500 spindles. How much more does a flip kit lower a c20 I know I'll have to notch it probally if I can get away with a mini notch I'll probally just do it here's how it sits now with drop shackles and hangers plus the one inch bottom overload removed so around a 5 inch drop with the 22s it sits to tallhttp://
dragn91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:42 PM   #2
dragn91

Re: Any body run drop shackles and hangers plus a flip kit. C20?

Looks like doing a flip kit will get me 4 1/2 inches if I leave the overload out. I have 4 1/2 inches until my frame hits the axle so I'm going to go for it and just run a mini notch in the rear and helper bags.
Old 04-24-2016, 10:28 PM   #3
cochino12
It followed me home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragn91 View Post
Looks like doing a flip kit will get me 4 1/2 inches if I leave the overload out. I have 4 1/2 inches until my frame hits the axle so I'm going to go for it and just run a mini notch in the rear and helper bags.
You sure about that 4.5"? I think you need to account for the height of the axle as well as the thickness of the springpack. If its a factory 3/4 ton leaf pack I think you should get a lot more drop from the flip than that.

That's why they call it a shortcut Kyle, if it was easy it would just be the way.

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually
cochino12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 07:30 AM   #4
dragn91

Oh I though it was the height of the spring pack plus half the height of the rear? I can always set the drop shackles on the higher setting if it's a little too low.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:34 AM   #5
J Knight

I think you would be better off installing the stock front spring hangers, then the flip kit and fine tune the ride height with the stock or drop shackles.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:42 AM   #6
slotard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragn91 View Post
Oh I though it was the height of the spring pack plus half the height of the rear? I can always set the drop shackles on the higher setting if it's a little too low.
Half of tube diameter (or more accurately, distance from current leaf mount to new one) from current location to in line with lower leaf, then height of leaf pack gets you to in line with upper leaf, then another half of tube diameter gets you to leaf under spring, so it's full diameter.

When it comes to a notch, anything other than a step notch is significantly weakening the frame. Whether or not you can get away with it depends on how you're using the truck.

If you're actually driving the truck I'd want at least a couple inches of uptravel. On the other hand, you could set it up to have negligible uptravel static and then use bags so you don't break your back going over a pebble.