The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-24-2016, 10:35 AM   #1
Thebrownturd

Cab light help

My truck has factory cab lights with the raised light perches and welded in nuts to screw to; however, when I attempted to take the screws out a while back a lot of them broke off in the nut. Some of the nuts even twisted out of the metal and I am left with a square hole. I know the problem lies in the fact that sheet metal screws were used instead of machined screws and a little rust doesn't help either.

Does anyone have any good ideas on a fix? The PO twisted some of them to the side and drilled new holes but the problem with this is they are all cockeyed and facing random direction.

Could I drill out the twisted off screws that stuck in the nut and use a larger screws? What about the large square holes that have nothing to screw to?
Thanks for any advice. I need to figure something out before we go to paint.
Thebrownturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 11:38 AM   #2
old Chevy guy

Re: Cab light help

If you could drill the holes out well, as in close to the center, you could retap them.. As far as the square holes I would try and get some nuts and tack them in with a mig. That's what I would do ,I'm not sure how your fixed as far as welding equipment or skills. You used to be able to buy square nuts,not sure if the still sell such a thing anymore. Is it going to a body shop for paint,maybe they could weld up the holes with new nuts.
old Chevy guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 11:45 AM   #3
Thebrownturd

I would like to weld nuts in but I think the metal is to thin due to feeling around with my finger and the rust pits that are visible in the area.

Last edited by Thebrownturd; 04-24-2016 at 11:51 AM.
Old 04-24-2016, 11:51 AM   #4
Thebrownturd

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Chevy guy View Post
If you could drill the holes out well, as in close to the center, you could retap them.. As far as the square holes I would try and get some nuts and tack them in with a mig. That's what I would do ,I'm not sure how your fixed as far as welding equipment or skills. You used to be able to buy square nuts,not sure if the still sell such a thing anymore. Is it going to a body shop for paint,maybe they could weld up the holes with new nuts.
I am painting it myself. I just worked out a deal with the collision center next to where I work trading some labor to use their booth and get some advice on painting.
Old 04-24-2016, 11:55 AM   #5
Jeff's bowtie's

Try some JB weld fill the holes let it set up and drill a new hole not sure how it will work but worth a try if the metal is to thin to weld
Jeff's bowtie's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 05:50 PM   #6
Gromit

Just a reminder that left-handed drill bits can be helpful for drilling out stripped fasteners, provided you can get the drill bit started in the center of the bolt - probably not that easy in your case because you can't exactly whack that thin metal with a center punch..

I may not be using the right terminology.. these bits I'm thinking of spin counter-clockwise in stead of clockwise.

It sounds like it will still be a tough problem though.. maybe it would be easier in the long run to replace the roof skin?
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 06:32 PM   #7
budman k20
1972 K20

The cab light screws were not originally sheet metal screws. I would drill out the nuts or cut them out and glue in a new nut, maybe try welding a new one to some sheet metal. From memory the screw size was 8-32 or 10-32. Use one of the lens to size up the screw. Good luck... time to get creative!
budman k20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 09:11 PM   #8
BLAZERMAN
Currently Blazerless

I would try Rivnuts and the use machine screws.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:25 AM   #9
vics stuff

Just thinking out side the box . Have you considered in drilling out all the nuts and installing the expander rubber type push in nut. As you tighten them up they draw up on the back side of the panel and pinching / sealing the hole . That is what they are using on all the lights and roof racks of today's vehicles. Might be worth looking into.
Vic
vics stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:28 AM   #10
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZERMAN View Post
I would try Rivnuts and the use machine screws.
That's what I would try. I would soak the stubs left and try to turn them out with vice grips.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:23 PM   #11
Thebrownturd

Good news I guess. In trying to drill out the nuts with seized screws I accidentally just pushed the whole nut in. I ended up doing the same with the others, it didn't take much. I am thinking of a long u nut or something similar to go in the square hole from the center hole. I saw this method was used on some later model chevys that still were using the same style clearance lights.