The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-29-2016, 05:31 AM   #1
Redneck79

All-Terrain tires opinions

I'm looking for big All-Terrain tires, I found these ones that looks good.

http://www.summitracing.com/int/part...illocation=int

Any experience ?
Others like to suggest ?
Redneck79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 06:34 AM   #2
andrewmp6

Re: All-Terrain tires opinions

Why do you want a 40 inch at tire ?
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:19 AM   #3
Front Range

What's the tire going to be used for, answering that question will help you narrow down the choices toward something you'll be happy with.

1. Radial vs Bias-ply
2. Crusing vs Off-roading, combination of the two
3. Noise levels and traction trade offs
Old 04-29-2016, 12:03 PM   #4
Redneck79

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmp6 View Post
Why do you want a 40 inch at tire ?
I like big tires
Old 04-29-2016, 12:04 PM   #5
Redneck79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Range View Post
What's the tire going to be used for, answering that question will help you narrow down the choices toward something you'll be happy with.

1. Radial vs Bias-ply
2. Crusing vs Off-roading, combination of the two
3. Noise levels and traction trade offs

The tires are for daily drive and for off road, not extreme off road
Old 04-29-2016, 01:34 PM   #6
wilkin250r

Almost any 40-inch tire will be good offroad, so I think your best choice would be to get what is best on-road. You should do some research on tire construction, especially the difference between Radial tires and Bias-Ply tires. I think you want a radial tire.

The Super Swamper TrXus is good, but I think the Super Swamper SSR is better. You might not find it at Summit Racing because of some manufacturing issues a few years back. The SSR has a very smooth ride and good road manners for it's size.

http://www.ntwonline.com/Super-Swamp...ial-C1853.aspx
Old 04-30-2016, 07:47 AM   #7
andrewmp6

You know your gonna need a 12 inch lift and at least a 5.13 gear to run a tire that big.Stick to a 37 inch tire less lift and your stock 4.56 gear will be happy with them.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:21 AM   #8
Redneck79

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmp6 View Post
You know your gonna need a 12 inch lift and at least a 5.13 gear to run a tire that big.Stick to a 37 inch tire less lift and your stock 4.56 gear will be happy with them.
I don't want to lift the truck, I prefer to cut/bob the fenders to have a "lower" stance, like the baya trucks.
I like the stance of this one, he runs 42 inch tires

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXoB...&nohtml5=False

By the way, looking the photos, I think that the actual owner have already lifted the truck on the rear, what do you think about ?
(I'm going to watch this truck next week and decide if buy it or not)
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2016, 11:58 AM   #9
Front Range

Couple things to think about if you go that route - not being critical - just things I've seen my friends experience firsthand.

Your inner wheel wells will most likely need to be removed or modified to fit on 42's with no lift, looks like the guy in Sweden cut his out when he did the fender trim. Make sure to check your clearances with the shocks compressed and full lock to lock turns of the wheel. Look for rubbing on body/frame/brake lines. Consider either rounding or finishing your cut fender edges so they don't cut into the tires when your off-camber. Also consider the increased mass/weight of the large tire and overall effects on steering, consider adding a weld on frame kit and steering brace to avoid frame cracks at the box.

Far as the elevated rear on the white truck it's hard to say without crawling under it. Could be a small lift block, could be a flip shackle, could be a modified leaf, or none of the above. Good luck with your project!
Old 04-30-2016, 03:46 PM   #10
Redneck79

Quote:
Couple things to think about if you go that route - not being critical - just things I've seen my friends experience firsthand.

Your inner wheel wells will most likely need to be removed or modified to fit on 42's with no lift, looks like the guy in Sweden cut his out when he did the fender trim. Make sure to check your clearances with the shocks compressed and full lock to lock turns of the wheel. Look for rubbing on body/frame/brake lines. Consider either rounding or finishing your cut fender edges so they don't cut into the tires when your off-camber. Also consider the increased mass/weight of the large tire and overall effects on steering, consider adding a weld on frame kit and steering brace to avoid frame cracks at the box.

Far as the elevated rear on the white truck it's hard to say without crawling under it. Could be a small lift block, could be a flip shackle, could be a modified leaf, or none of the above. Good luck with your project!

Thank you very much !
What do you think about wheel spacers ?
I heard many different opinions about wheel spacers in trucks.
Do you can suggest me a link where I can buy the correct Spiked lug nuts for a truck ?
Old 04-30-2016, 06:11 PM   #11
Front Range

My personal opinion on wheel spacers is that they can loosen up. I'd almost rather run a rim with a different offset or width - than to use a spacer. I once mounted spacers on the rear hubs and I did not like the look of that at all from a safety perspective. You have two sets of studs in close proximity that could possibly come loose and that made me uncomfortable with it.

You have to put that in perspective though, I'm 1 guy with 1 opinion. Other guys have used them with no issue. Take a sampling of opinions, search for accident reports, check liability, and then make your own best judgment.

Somebody mentioned a link to spiked lugnuts here
Old 05-01-2016, 04:53 PM   #12
Redneck79

Quote:
My personal opinion on wheel spacers is that they can loosen up. I'd almost rather run a rim with a different offset or width - than to use a spacer. I once mounted spacers on the rear hubs and I did not like the look of that at all from a safety perspective. You have two sets of studs in close proximity that could possibly come loose and that made me uncomfortable with it.

You have to put that in perspective though, I'm 1 guy with 1 opinion. Other guys have used them with no issue. Take a sampling of opinions, search for accident reports, check liability, and then make your own best judgment.

Somebody mentioned a link to spiked lugnuts here
I agree with you and I have a question about wheels and tires:
I want to run BFG All Terrain 305/70/16, these tires have the max rim width range of 9,5", do you think it's possible to run these tires on a 10" rims ?
Old 05-02-2016, 02:17 PM   #13
slotard

They'll fit but I'd suggest running them on a size they say works well.

Those are 33s, they will have FAR better road manners than 40s.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:47 PM   #14
Chrispbrown36

Have you looked into the Cooper s/t maxx? I believe the biggest they make are 35's though. I just put a set (stock size though) on my 87 and I did a lot of research. Excellent reviews on and off road, long lasting, and a pretty good price. I haven't had a chance to get them off road, but on road they are excellent. Very quiet....much more so than the Dunlop mud rovers that were on the truck. I don't drive my truck all that often so I am hoping to have the tires for a long time. Plus, 100% American made.
Chrispbrown36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:57 PM   #15
zaccaglin

Patriot tires?

1998 Chevrolet C1500 Ext. Cab 350

Former Rig:
1985 Chevrolet K20 Suburban 6.2L Detroit/TH400/NP208
zaccaglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 02:05 AM   #16
andrewmp6

toyo open country mt comes in a 40 but you need 17 inch rims.